any good modern war movies ?

Tools    

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
Zero Dark Thirty and Kajaki the best of a bad bunch. American Sniper, Lone Survivor and Hacksaw Ridge are absolutely terrible movies.

I've heard 'No Man's Land' (2001) is worth watching.
Lone Survivor isn't terrible in the slightest. The plot , character development and depth are lacking but Lone Survivor functions in a way that it doesn't NEED these things. Just like the in the book, the pure, raw, brutality is enough. While Lone Survivor may not be a truly excellent film, it's still definitely worthwhile to watch.

I don't know why Hacksaw is even in the conversation. It's not a modern conflict movie.

I second Black Hawk Down and Jarhead. Those are 2 rather underrated war films imo.

Lone Survivor isn't terrible in the slightest. The plot , character development and depth are lacking but Lone Survivor functions in a way that it doesn't NEED these things. Just like the in the book, the pure, raw, brutality is enough. While Lone Survivor may not be a truly excellent film, it's still definitely worthwhile to watch.

I don't know why Hacksaw is even in the conversation. It's not a modern conflict movie.
I agree it was better than American sniper and perhaps shouldn't be in the same bracket. But it just offered nothing to me. I felt the same after having watched it s I did before. Man fights off lots of bad guys = hero. Woop.

Agree about hacksaw ridge, I'm not sure why it's being spoken about in this thread. Or any thread.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I second Black Hawk Down and Jarhead. Those are 2 rather underrated war films imo.

I concur.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
I agree it was better than American sniper and perhaps shouldn't be in the same bracket. But it just offered nothing to me. I felt the same after having watched it s I did before. Man fights off lots of bad guys = hero. Woop.

Agree about hacksaw ridge, I'm not sure why it's being spoken about in this thread. Or any thread.
"But it just offered nothing to me. I felt the same after having watched it s I did before. Man fights off lots of bad guys = hero. Woop."

I see what you're saying but the film's purpose was nothing more than tell an epic story. There's no message, no twist, no philosophical deep thought, just a story, going LITERALLY by the book.
And in that I think it did an awesome job. Some movies don't need to offer a message; this is one of them.