Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Legend in my own mind

What a film!!

Powerful stuff.

Can't believe I have only just seen it.

I was raging for most of the first half of the film.

Really great story telling.

So emotive.

Full review soon.

Suicide Squad (2016)

Even more pathetic than Jared Leto's Joker laugh. Holy crap. And who knew someone like Jai Courtney would end up as probably the best character here? And Will Smith is an acting veteran and it shows, so he's good in it and also gets the most background probably. But there is pretty much no development of characters here. There is no story. There is nothing to this film. And Jared Leto was awful. Just awful. He went full maniac. Never go full maniac. He dropped the ball... and ran after it onto a road and got hit by a truck driven by Lex Luthor in the shape of Jesse Eisenberg. It wad bad. Bad I say.

I do wonder if last years Oscar controversy had something to do with it's best picture win.
I'm pretty sure I would've wondered the same thing if I hadn't of seen it first and not knowing what it was about or that it would even be up for an Oscar but I was pleased that it won of the choices I have seen so far

Continuing my vampire run of movies with this uprising film a dark comedy take on what if Max Schreck who played Count Orlok in Nosferatu was actually a real vampire I really enjoyed the film and still believe that Count Orlok is the best design for a vampire to this day.

Somehow I do not see teenage girls wanting this guy to be their boyfriend or him glowing in the sunlight

Torso (1973)

+

I thought this was an above average giallo/slasher. The story, backstory, and killer were all pretty standard, and that's fine enough for me. It has decent kills and tension. The on location filming in Italy is gorgeous, and there is a very impressive assortment of beautiful victims. Nice score as well.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Suicide Squad (2016)

Even more pathetic than Jared Leto's Joker laugh. Holy crap. And who knew someone like Jai Courtney would end up as probably the best character here? And Will Smith is an acting veteran and it shows, so he's good in it and also gets the most background probably. But there is pretty much no development of characters here. There is no story. There is nothing to this film. And Jared Leto was awful. Just awful. He went full maniac. Never go full maniac. He dropped the ball... and ran after it onto a road and got hit by a truck driven by Lex Luthor in the shape of Jesse Eisenberg. It wad bad. Bad I say.

I trust you, MM. This sounds absolutely woeful.

Logan 10/10 i loved it so much, i would actually go pay to see it more than once at the theatres

sadistico, a classic one

Logan (2017)

Pretty much the most "un-superhero" superhero film made thus far. No fancy outfits or flashy powers—just a man and his claws, and a whole lotta blood. I do believe that this is Marvel's Dark Knight, not just because of its quality but also its gritty tone and atmosphere. Amazing film, definitely a must watch.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Logan (2017)

Pretty much the most "un-superhero" superhero film made thus far. No fancy outfits or flashy powers—just a man and his claws, and a whole lotta blood. I do believe that this is Marvel's Dark Knight, not just because of its quality but also its gritty tone and atmosphere. Amazing film, definitely a must watch.

Except the film is produced by 20th Century Fox. Marvel sold the rights years ago and have no say in the filmmaking whatsoever.

Suspect's Reviews

Except the film is produced by 20th Century Fox. Marvel sold the rights years ago and have no say in the filmmaking whatsoever.
Right. I'm not exactly referring to Marvel Studios in particular though. Just that it's a movie based on a Marvel character that can rival The Dark Knight (a DC character).

The Major and the Minor

Never get tired of this great comedy. Probably my favorite Ginger Rogers flick.

Interesting trivia: This was Billy Wilder's American directorial debut.

~Groundhog Day~

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Logan

(James Mangold)

These violent delights have violent ends.

Those words ran through my mind while watching the bloody and violent Logan, Hugh Jackman's final outing as the razor sharp Canadian. For years now, Jackman has been trying to get a hard R Wolverine film and after the success of Deadpool, the studio finally agreed to it. This film is so different from the previous X-Men films that it makes you wonder what could have been done with those previous entries. Logan curses, decapitates, slashes, drinks, curses some more, cuts more limbs off, so on and so on. They even manage to through in some boobs. This is no kids flick.

It's the distant future, there hasn't been a mutant born in over 25 years. Mutants are few and far between and the X-Men are no more. Logan is now a limo driver, picking up odd jobs here and there to get enough cash to buy a boat, so he can finally take an ailing Charles Xavier away to live the rest of their lives in solitude and peace. As always, trouble seems to find Logan, as a woman pleads with him to take her and her young daughter across the boarder to Canada. Shady government forces are after the child, who seems to have a lot more in common with Logan than he expects.

After the bloated and rather dullness viewing of the last X-Men film, Apocalypse, it is most definitely a nice change of pace to have Logan be a more grounded and personal film. No longer are the 'big bads' trying to take over the world by destroying cities. The story here is simple and clear cut, protect the girl. The lack of a budget (less than $100 million) meant no in your face CGI or 'been there, seen that' deja vu. Mangold gives the film a sense of visceral realism, something that has been missing from Wolverine films for awhile. Coupled with swan song performances, Logan is one of the better films in the entire series.

Jackman has been playing this character for almost 20 years. It's his defining career achievement and he wants to go out on top. He claims this is his last outing as the character and I hope he stick to his word because Logan is a beautiful send off. He's older, slower, his healing powers are not what they use to be, his body is littered with battle scars. He's done fighting the good fight. Two central characters in the entire series are without question, Wolverine and Professor X. Their dynamic in this film is touching in a father/son sense. These two characters have been through so much together, to see them at their lowest, is somewhat sad. Charles is a broken man, he's no longer the confident professor we all knew him as, yet he still has the ability to impart knowledge from time to time. There is a touching moment between the characters at a dinner table, reminiscing about their special school. Maybe my favourite moment in the film. It's small, it's tender, it's just a few characters eating and talking. The history is what makes this scene more powerful and Stewart and Jackman nail it.

The film is dark, depressing and brutally violent. Within the first few minutes we are treated to a scene where Logan has to literally dispatch a few people trying to steal his rims. In the previous films, he would slice them up, sure, but here he does so with more blood and more limbs falling off. I never thought I needed to see Wolverine's adamantium claws impale someone through the jaw, so we can see said claws through his mouth, but after this film I realized that yes...I did need to see that. So yes, this film does earn the R rating. So much that it felt a bit forced at some points. I mentioned earlier that the film has some nudity, is that really needed? Some woman in the back of the limo flashing her boobs was really necessary? I get that you wanted the R rating, but it just seemed out of left field. Add on the fact that Patrick Stewart throws a few F-Bombs himself and I felt taken out of the film for a moment or two.

At one point in the film, the characters are watching the western film Shane, if you are familiar with the film, you'll immediately see the parallels with Logan. Mangold got his chance to play in the sandbox with this character and he gives us a proper Wolverine film. This is a modern western and nothing about the film comes off as fancy. The film is finally presented like the character, dirty, wild and crazy. The newest addition is the little girl, X-23, played by newcomer Dafne Keen. I'm not a fan of kids in films when they have a substantial role, they tend to get on my nerves. Yet Keen gives as wild and vicious a performance as Jackman. I loved her in this. She doesn't say much, but she can throw down with the best of them. She may even be more lethal than Logan, sporting additional claws and a more limber gymnastic attack style, she can come at you from any angle. Mangold gives us enough scenes with these two taking out bad guys, that I had a smile on my face while they sliced and diced.

I do wish the film connected a bit more with the previous entries. We are given very little on what happened to the X-Men, the film drops little hints here and there but I wish they went a little deeper into it. I understand they want this film to stand on its own, feel different and be different and they accomplish that. Yet, I felt like it needed to complete the circle a bit more, the disconnect with the other films hurts it a bit.

Mangold and Jackman have stripped this film down to its bare adamantium bones. In doing so, they rely less on the flash and more on the personal road that Jackman takes this character on. Without a doubt, Jackman's best performances as the character in the series. While not a perfect film, it's the perfect one for Jackman to end on. This violently dark depressing take on the character is one that will be remembered by the fans.

Welcome to the human race...
So yes, this film does earn the R rating. So much that it felt a bit forced at some points. I mentioned earlier that the film has some nudity, is that really needed? Some woman in the back of the limo flashing her boobs was really necessary? I get that you wanted the R rating, but it just seemed out of left field.
I'd say yes, especially when you consider the context and maybe contrast it against the use of female nudity in, say, Deadpool. It happens as part of a montage of Logan working his job where he has to drive around some horrible people (such as the frat-boy types chanting "U-S-A" at the immigrants trapped behind the Mexican border) and, in a weird way, it comes across as a dehumanising moment for him. It's not just "some woman flashing her boobs", she's the centre of a bachelorette party so her flashing him comes across as "who cares, he's just the driver, it doesn't matter what I do as long as I'm having fun tonight" and this is borne out by Logan reacting with a sense of discomfort and embarrassment over how these people see him as nothing but a tool and a source of possible amusement. Obviously, it's not 100% necessary, but it's a quick but effective moment that helps to communicate exactly where Logan is at, how he's changed (compared to the guy who wakes up next to a mobster's girlfriend in Days of Future Past), and how he's treated by the ordinary citizens around him in this futuristic hellscape. Plus, it ducks most (if not all) of the issues with female nudity in film - it's not titillating, it's not amusing, it's not even part of some "dark-and-edgy" rape scene. It's a genuinely uncomfortable moment for character and audience alike, and that's why it works.

Anyway...

Scenes from a Marriage -

whole lotta Bergman

I'd say all of it is a little out of place, especially with the language. Not that I didn't enjoy it, Xavier, and Wolverine swearing up a storm was pure magic, but coming from characters who never dropped the f bomb (at least frequently, in Wolverine's case) in previous films, them just suddenly becoming sailors was a bit strange when you take that into account. But, as I said, it's very satisfying, and since it's largely separated from those previous movies in many ways it gets a pass from me.

Welcome to the human race...
I guess it ties into his comment about how the adventures seen in the X-Men comics either didn't happen or did but in a totally different manner to the comics' depiction - that and they're in the most desperate situation they've ever been in so there's no real need for social niceties anymore.

Logan -

Review forthcoming.
Guess my expectations for this movie was just too high.

Doesn't help that people call this the new Dark Knight or the best Marvel movie/superhero movie to date etc etc... Anyways, we'll see with a rewatch some time...

I guess it ties into his comment about how the adventures seen in the X-Men comics either didn't happen or did but in a totally different manner to the comics' depiction - that and they're in the most desperate situation they've ever been in so there's no real need for social niceties anymore.
Well, the threats were significantly much bigger, and more dire to the entire world in almost every other X-Men movie, I feel like if any f bombs were warranted it'd definitely be in the other ones.