The MoFo Support Group

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Well i have had the worst news ever lately. My mum was taken into hospital lately as she was ill. Fast forward a few days and we have been told she is dieing and only has a few days left to live. Words can't describe how i feel right now.
Thanks mate. Trying so hard to stay strong that it just felt good sharing it with others. I know everyone experiences a loss in there life at some point, so thought maybe someone may have shared a similar experience.

I went through a very similar experience when my father died. He was a very active person, but he just collapsed at home one day and was rushed to the hospital. By the time they got him to the hospital, he was in a coma, but it was already too late to save him. We were told the choices were to keep him on life support, and hope he comes out of it, but even if he did, he would basically be a vegetable, or we could just take him off of life support and let him die. My mother knew that he would not want to be kept alive by machines, so he was only kept alive for a couple of days to allow family members to say goodbye.

I know how difficult this is for you, but you will get through this. Just don't focus too much on what's happening now. Try to remember the good times. That's how you want to remember your mom, and that's how she would want you to remember her.

When my father died, after the funeral, we had dinner with many of our relatives, and we spent the entire time telling great stories about him. I heard some wonderful stories about my father that I had never heard before, and I told other relatives stories about him that they hadn't heard before. Some of the stories were very funny, and it made it much easier for everyone to get through it together.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I got up this morning and feel better now (although my ears are still clogged).

Yeah, I know it will.
A nurse will not give you a sad face about your possible results if they're a professional.
Yeah, I guess she might just say this to everybody.
In these cases, I find the best thing to do is look at pictures of Japanese girls in bikinis!
I got your PM.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Oh Jesus.

I'm so sorry to hear, Optimus.
Take comfort that it was peaceful though, and that you guys had been there in the last days.

My heart goes out to you, bud.

Not sure if you're a believer, but with your permission, I'll say a prayer for you guys for strength over the next few weeks

That's awful Optimus, RIP and best wishes to you and your fam.

Oh my God, I'm so sorry to hear my friend. That's the worst news anyone can have. Thankfully though, you had been told it was going to happen and though she was put into the hospital at a sudden moment, you had a few days to prepare and that she passed away peacefully is good to know.

As stated before, I've lost 3 family members in 1,5 years and though none was my mother/father/siblings, 3 in a row in such short time spand has hit me hard. I really feel your loss man, I really do.

Thoughts goes out to you and yours and when your real family isn't available, remember your MoFo family is always there for you.

Heartfelt commiserations, may she rest in peace.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
My deepest condolences @Optimus

I would like to talk about a situation I'm having with my grandma. I'm not sure what I can do to help, or if there is anything to be done at all. She is in her mid 60s and has been struggling with depression ever since losing my aunt (her oldest daughter) about 6 years ago. I visit her once a week because she gets really upset if I do not. She gets lonely since she lives by herself and asks me to call her everyday but she stays on the phone with me for hours if I do, and that's just unrealistic for me so I hardly ever call her anymore. I do still visit her though. What makes visiting her frustrating is that for the past year she has convinced herself that she is possessed by the devil. Or a demon. I don't really know the difference. She's extremely religious. I'm not. Every time I visit her, this is the only thing she talks about. What the devil did to her that day. I just play along but my parents have been trying to get her to see a psychiatrist. The only problem is if anybody even hints that she may be having a psychological problem, she gets offended and says nobody takes her seriously and that we all just think she's crazy. She has been having trouble sleeping because of this whole thing and it's really starting to affect her health. She looks as though she's aged ten years in just the past year. I feel bad for her but I also feel that since she's refusing any sort of help how can I help her?

Has anybody here even been through anything similar with a family member?

I would like to talk about a situation I'm having with my grandma. I'm not sure what I can do to help, or if there is anything to be done at all. She is in her mid 60s and has been struggling with depression ever since losing my aunt (her oldest daughter) about 6 years ago. I visit her once a week because she gets really upset if I do not. She gets lonely since she lives by herself and asks me to call her everyday but she stays on the phone with me for hours if I do, and that's just unrealistic for me so I hardly ever call her anymore. I do still visit her though. What makes visiting her frustrating is that for the past year she has convinced herself that she is possessed by the devil. Or a demon. I don't really know the difference. She's extremely religious. I'm not. Every time I visit her, this is the only thing she talks about. What the devil did to her that day. I just play along but my parents have been trying to get her to see a psychiatrist. The only problem is if anybody even hints that she may be having a psychological problem, she gets offended and says nobody takes her seriously and that we all just think she's crazy. She has been having trouble sleeping because of this whole thing and it's really starting to affect her health. She looks as though she's aged ten years in just the past year. I feel bad for her but I also feel that since she's refusing any sort of help how can I help her?

oh dear, that's worrying for you and your family. If she's very religious does she attend church? Could you get a priest or a member of the clergy to talk to her and guide her towards getting some help? Perhaps she'll listen to them. Sometimes people will listen to outsiders more than they will to people close to them. I hope she's not a member of some crazy church who are encouraging her anxieties.

My mum passed away last night peacefully.
I'm so sorry to hear that Optimus. I know it must be very tough right now but just know that the whole MoFo community is here for you. If you need someone to talk to just let me know.

Sorry for your situation Eli, I'm not quite sure how to handle something like that. I would say that if she's healthy enough for it, for you or your parents to get her out of the house and take her somewhere for a while. I just know that sometimes being in the same place all the time can lead to the loneliness and depression that you're describing. If that doesn't seem to help, then it might be tough but you may need to try to convince her to see a psychiatrist.

Hope that helps.

Sorry for your situation Eli, I'm not quite sure how to handle something like that. I would say that if she's healthy enough for it, for you or your parents to get her out of the house and take her somewhere for a while. I just know that sometimes being in the same place all the time can lead to the loneliness and depression that you're describing. If that doesn't seem to help, then it might be tough but you may need to try to convince her to see a psychiatrist.

Hope that helps.
Thanks.

My uncle did take her on a trip to a resort for 2 weeks to get her mind off of all this devil stuff. She had a great time and you could tell she was happier for a while but when she got back home, things went back to how they were. My parents even offered to let her come stay with us for the time being but she doesn't want to.

We did take her to a few priests because that's the only 'solution' she was comfortable with and they all told her that she is in fact possessed and that they would cure her. Well, none of their 'cures' actually worked. I really see no other solution to this than having her see a psychiatrist. It is really just a question of how to get her to go see one.

We did take her to a few priests because that's the only 'solution' she was comfortable with and they all told her that she is in fact possessed and that they would cure her. Well, none of their 'cures' actually worked. I really see no other solution to this than having her see a psychiatrist. It is really just a question of how to get her to go see one.
seriously? wow that's ridiculous
I'm not religious but the vicars I'm come across have been practical, kind people. It's a shame you encountered priests that can obviously see someone with mental health issues and think they can help them without resort to professionals.

seriously? wow that's ridiculous
I'm not religious but the vicars I'm come across have been practical, kind people. It's a shame you encountered priests that can obviously see someone with mental health issues and think they can help them without resort to professionals.
You know, I just got an idea...

What if we get someone who can dress as a priest, and give her practical advice.... Maybe she'll listen then. I think I'm onto something

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I'm sorry sorry, Optimus. Thinking of you and your family at this difficult time. I know how trying this time is so sending thoughts to you.

Eli, in that situation I would just tell my loved one they need to make an appointment to see their GP to sort out the insomnia issue. I would not be suggesting a shrink or mentioning the possession thing or she'll back into a corner.