Turbo Kid

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
'Mad Max' on a BMX: 'Turbo Kid' is an '80s adventure with added gore, and it looks nuts

Imagine a blood-spattered post-apocalyptic Saturday morning cartoon with "Total Recall" baddie Michael Ironside in it. Yeah.

"This is the future. The world as we know it is gone. This is the year...1997."
Post-apocalyptic primary-coloured blood-spattered retro-tastic gorefest "Turbo Kid" premiered this week, and it's like a Saturday morning cartoon version of "Escape from New York" made by Nintendo. It's like the bad guys from "Mad Max" raiding "Jem and the Holograms" and chopping everyone's heads off. It's...look, just watch this:

"Turbo Kid" stars youngsters Munro Chambers and Laurence Leboeuf with genre veteran Michael Ironside from "Total Recall", "Starship Troopers" and video game "Splinter Cell". Chambers is The Kid, a comic book-obsessed outcast roaming the wasteland of a post-apocalyptic future wielding an ancient turbocharged weapon against bounty hunters, extreme arm wrestlers and a masked villain called Skeletron. This is Skeletron:

Backed by a suitably synth-heavy score from Le Matos, the film is conceived to look and feel like a lost 80s classic, only just unearthed. Shot in Quebec in 2014, "Turbo Kid" is a Canada and New Zealand co-production and expands on the short "T is for Turbo", originally conceived for the bonkers horror anthology film "The ABCs of Death". Here's another glimpse of the 1980s look:

The film is written and directed by Anouk Whissell, François Simard and Yoann-Karl Whissell -- also known as the RKSS Collective. They cite Ozploitation classics "BMX Bandits" and "Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior" as influences, as well as Italian post-apocalyptic films and Peter Jackson's comically gory "Braindead".
"Turbo Kid" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah this week. Release details are yet to be confirmed, but I imagine it's heading for a video-on-demand service near you at the speed of a furiously pedalled BMX.

(copy and pasta courtesy of cnet)

This looks like a great appetizer before Fury Road. I'm a sucker for 80's synth and old' Ironsides.

Today begins my campaign to bring Turbo Kid to a/perture cinema in Winston-Salem, NC.

I will leave a voicemail and email everyday until fruition.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Here's a proper full length trailer for Turbo Kid.

A lot of the time I find these lurid, 80s parody films to be pretty poor (Wolf Cop, Kung Fury etc). For me they come off as too knowing and way too forced, completely lacking in any charm. And there's a good chance I'll feel the same way about this but I think the trailer does look quite fun. I love its lo-fi effects. Oh yeah and Michael Ironside, that alone should make it worth a watch

There is officially a Turbo Kid showing in NC a little over a hour away (Durham).

It's one screening at 16:00.

Today begins my campaign to bring Turbo Kid to a/perture cinema in Winston-Salem, NC.
These guys stink. I've been having a run of bad luck with the local hipster circuit past couple of days. Just to be clear, by hipster, I mean rude non-adjusted people exhibiting more than one form of irony at a time.

This was the place that showed Snowpiercer in a shoebox theater with a home theater setup. They were the impetus behind me grilling the Durham cinema about their setup.