Discouraged Doctor who's called Mister

Tools    

Hi guys, does anyone know the title for this movie/drama plot below?

• Setting: European-styled Mansion

• Character: Doctor, a lady & others

• Scene description 1: The guy used to be a doctor (He's a retired doctor). He went through some sort of trauma and has since wasted his life away by drinking. He could hardly return to his job with shaky hands. Everyone in the house including maids have stopped seeing him as one. He never regarded himself as Doctor…. rather he addressed himself as Mr….

• Scene description 2: One day, a naive, kind lady entered the house as part of the family (marriage or for some reason). She befriended the guy (doctor) and encouraged him. One day, there comes an emergency incident in the house that the doctor is needed ASAP and the lady nominated the guy (doctor). Everyone was doubtful and questioned if he was prepared to step up. As they called him “Mr…”, the lady interjected mid-sentence loudly: “DOCTOR….. Call him doctor”

Hope anyone can help with this. Thanks!

freedom~empathy~peace
This is a maybe only - I have not seen this film.
In 2001, there was UK TV movie titled 'Doc Martin' (a kind of prequel to the popular series of the same name which began in 2004). I've read some of the reviews of the 2001 film on the IMDb website, and here are a couple of lines that stood out:

"Martin Clunes plays Doc Martin...[married] to a cheating wife (she has affairs with each of this 3 friends!). When he finds out, he heads to a little seaside village that he knew as a kid....[he] drinks, and smokes cigarettes, both the legal and illegal type."

"It is a funny story with really sympathetic characters... [located] in a beautiful village in Cornwall, where a mystery lady discloses everybody's secrets."

Might this be what you're searching for?

I don't know what the case is like in US, but in UK, Australia etc, traditionally surgeons specifically are/were referred to as Mr, Mrs etc. So as it is based in the UK that would explain it.

Many surgeons prefer the title of Doctor, but officially they are/were Mr, Mrs etc, and that had dated back to the mid-Victorian era and still continues. GP's etc are Dr, but surgeons are Mr/Mrs.

It would also explain (for the purposes of your query) why a surgeon with unsteady hands would have to retire from being a surgeon, but could potentially still consult or act as a GP etc as Dr.

Thanks guys for the reply. I'm checking out Doc Martin (2001)

Sorry for the late reply.

Scene 1 sounds like Dr. Strange . . . jus' saying.