What is wrong with jake gyllenhal

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I think you just forgot I love him. Don't think I've discussed his music snobbery here yet, but I approve!
roflmao. I didnt forget,silly! How could I.

I saw him in somehing the othernight but I forget.Might have been the train one. I love him too.

I saw him in somehing the othernight but I forget.Might have been the train one. I love him too.
Source Code? I'll eventually buy that on blu ray even if the ending disappointed me a little.

oh and I saw one with batfleck last nightbut I dosed a lil bit and mr dani changed the channel.Sneaky.

Source Code? I'll eventually buy that on blu ray even if the ending disappointed me a little.
Yeah. I like it. And I think american movies mostly leave me a tad disappointed by the ending.

oh and I saw one with batfleck last nightbut I dosed a lil bit and mr dani changed the channel.Sneaky.
If it was Live By Night I think that's a snoozefest for non committed Batfleck fans. For the fans it's eye candy, if a bit self indulgent. But the fans would find that almost charming. I don't know how to explain it.

Yeah. I like it. And I think american movies mostly leave me a tad disappointed by the ending.
If you haven't seen Nightcrawler yet, make it your next of Gyllenhaal's. It's quite creepy, but thrilling.

If it was Live By Night I think that's a snoozefest for non committed Batfleck fans. For the fans it's eye candy, if a bit self indulgent. But the fans would find that almost charming. I don't know how to explain it.

If you haven't seen Nightcrawler yet, make it your next of Gyllenhaal's. It's quite creepy, but thrilling.

I dont know Lie by Night. Dont think Ive heard of it.

I have nighrcrawler. Mr D received a copy and eachtime we sat down to try it it went weird, freezing up all the time. Freezing up - it was during the australian open and I remember this clearly because there was a heatwave and I think that wrecked the copy. It just warmed up and up until no more, much like Daedelus

he s a great actor, but maybe not choosing well his characters and movies....

He tends to be topped billed in films that get released. He was up for Spider-man but lost it to Tobey Maguire which is when I think he pivoted away from big budget soulless cash grabs.

So you are saying the following filmmakers are B-List

Tom Ford (Nocturnal Animals)
Joon-Ho- Bong (Okja)
David Ayer (End of Watch)
Duncan Jones (Source Code)
Jim Sheridan (Brothers)
Sam Mendes (Jarhead)
David Fincher (Zodiac)
Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain)
John Madden (Proof)
Dennis Villanueve (Prisoners)

As someone who loved Everest and Prisoners I have no qualms with Jake's choices. He's at that mid-range acting point where he's not getting the young man roles and he's not getting the older male gravitas roles but I assume he's going to win an Oscar at some point
it isnt about oscars..its about the kind of roles and movies he seems to make.
Tom Ford (Nocturnal Animals)
Joon-Ho- Bong (Okja)
David Ayer (End of Watch)
Duncan Jones (Source Code)
Jim Sheridan (Brothers) are all b list directors...whenever their movies comeout..its really a coin toss..it can be good or bad.

Sam Mendes (Jarhead)
David Fincher (Zodiac)
These two were really the movies that kind of proved he is not a moviestar....he felt like a whinny baby who can't carry the movie. Maybe his roles are like that but whatever the reason..when you are top billed in those movies and they bomb
Ang Lee (Brokeback Mountain)
he is a hit and miss..this was a hit.
John Madden (Proof)
this director is a joke..he made chiago and captain corellis mandarin..so its a coin toss with him.
Dennis Villanueve (Prisoners)
this was before dennis vilanueve became famous..so its his earliest movie that ultimately fell into the cliches of the genre.

I think he has less screen presence than most of the leading actors. His voice and dialogue delivery isnt threatening. Even his built is small. He doesnt have than manly touch

I think he has less screen presence than most of the leading actors. His voice and dialogue delivery isnt threatening. Even his built is small. He doesnt have than manly touch
Southpaw.

just because he is buff doesnt mean he has screen presence...it his voice and blunt nose...
I disagree. He has plenty screen presence. There's nothing wrong with his nose, either. Or his voice.

I disagree. He has plenty screen presence. There's nothing wrong with his nose, either. Or his voice.
think of this way...if he acts opposite cate blanchett or amy adams or even natalie portman..he doesnt have enough screen presence to hold his own...with someone like ryan gosling who is of the same age range..he can perfectly hold is own with natalie portman...he just got that baby face..which might be cute but can't anchor a movie.

think of this way...if he acts opposite cate blanchett or amy adams or even natalie portman..he doesnt have enough screen presence to hold his own...with someone like ryan gosling who is of the same age range..he can perfectly hold is own with natalie portman...he just got that baby face..which might be cute but can't anchor a movie.
I guess we just completely disagree on his face and his ability to hold his own with Amy Adams et al. I don't think he loses any of his masculinity because he's able to show vulnerability.

I think he can t be a lead actor in an action film, thats the problem

I think assessing actors as to where they fall on some kind of box office/leading man/woman spectrum is a strange way of approaching things that almost certainly interferes with enjoying the art on display.

The truth is in here
Yeah, if we're gonna pick on people's noses we might as well go ahead and judge Adrien Brody. Seriously, who cares? What does that even say about their acting ability?

Yeah, if we're gonna pick on people's noses we might as well go ahead and judge Adrien Brody. Seriously, who cares? What does that even say about their acting ability?
it aint about acting ability..its about the screen presence of an actor...some just have it through their facial features(aka daniel day lewis,christian bale,brad pitt)..some do it through intensity of acting(aka dicaprio)..some do it through charm or quiet intensity(aka george clooney,ryan gosling)..i can't think of gyllenhal having any of those.

Re: "just have it." Right, so we've reached the point, as we did in a few other threads, where it turns out the premise is just "I personally think they just don't have some kind of hazy quality." Which is fine, to each their own, yadda yadda. But if that's what this stuff boils down to, there isn't really much to discuss.

Re: "just have it." Right, so we've reached the point, as we did in a few other threads, where it turns out the premise is just "I personally think they just don't have some kind of hazy quality." Which is fine, to each their own, yadda yadda. But if that's what this stuff boils down to, there isn't really much to discuss.
it looks like you seem to want a resolution to each thread..which isnt reality..its not math..its will always be a bunch of ideas with varying opinions and points of view...this isn't as pandering to everyone and as harmless as some of the other threads here like "name the movie you watched last night"...my threads tend to be controversial and thats okay..all threads need not be about topics that everyone agrees about..."Weinstein is a pig" is a universally agreed upon fact..no point in discussing it except to jump on the hate bandwagon...whats more interesting is "why did he behave like a pig"