Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Joker - I was a bit dubious of how much i'd like it after reading all the hype. But the hype is justified as far as i'm concerned, such a great film with a standout performance from Phoenix.

Summertime (2015) - A french drama about a woman who starts a relationship with a feminist.

Ammazzali tutti e torna solo (1968)
aka Kill Them All and Come Back Alone

A bit lackluster spaghetti by Castellari. Its mix of comedy (almost like Terence Hill & Bud Spencer movie) and darker tones never feels balanced. Also, the heist plot feels a bit too WWII to me.

Seven Men from Now 1956 Directed by Budd Boetticher

Another decent Boetticher/Scott Western, this time with a run-time of 1 hour and 18 minutes. Very similar to Ride Lonesome but 7 Men From Now has better 'guest performances' ; Gail Russel and Lee Marvin.

-

THE INVISIBLE MAN
(2020)

Over-hyped. Elisabeth Moss is really good.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The Creepy Line (2018)

Watch this documentary while you still can. It's on Amazon Prime, although I suspect they're being pressed by Google/Facebook to take it down.

From IMDB: The Creepy Line reveals the stunning degree to which society is manipulated by Google and Facebook and how they do it.

Those who routinely use Google, Facebook, Chrome, Gmail, etc. are quite simply...... prey.

A very well researched factual documentary.

Doc's rating: 9/10

Realized that I've been watching too many good movies lately so:

for what it is.

And what is it? 100% ex-ploi-ta-tion. Nasty, nasty little flick about a couple of Catholic schoolgirls going door to door trying to sell religious stuff in the worst redneck, white trash, hell town on earth. I suppose the thinking goes those are the people who need that stuff the most so why not? Well, these folks ain't interested in the stuff the girls are selling but they are interested in things like prostitution, drugs, murder, sex, Nunsploitation flicks, strip clubs, necrophilia and, especially after one of the girls witnesses a murder while peeking through a window, schoolgirls selling religious materials who witness murders. They capture the girls and what follows is an R and R flick and for that type of crud it's not too bad. A little of this and a lot that here (wardrobe budget was probably pretty small.) Would've liked a little more gore but they appeared to do the best they could. One of the flicks trying to benefit from the QT/RR Grindhouse of the late 2000's and is one of the better (icky, nasty) ones. Doesn't go for laughs much if at all which always kind of annoyed me with the resurgence of these films.

as compared to others in the genre.

Heard the movie room door open, GF popped her head into the room "What are you wa...." then I heard the door close and footsteps trailing off. It happened that fast. It's too bad because despite plenty of awful in this pic one of its strengths is actually the story. Claims to be a true story but I ain't uh, uhm, nah, not buying it - but it is a tale as old as time. A family goes to the Amazon, Mom and Dad get killed and beheaded by natives, daughter is taken prisoner and is forced to marry native man after he beats up other suitor and dude actually turns out to be kind of okay, a little Dances with Wolves story evolves, daughter finds out what really happened to her parents, things happen and it ends. The entire movie is a flashback as the movie starts with the daughter on trial for something? Well that's what we'll find out. Pretty decent gore in this, a few beheadings (seems to be no.1 cause of death in the area), a scene or two of animal on animal violence (leopard hunting, mostly) which I'm not a fan of but seems to be in all these Amazon movies, the daughter goes sans top for the majority of the film but it fits as none of the women in the tribe wear tops. I guess this is one of the flicks that they tried to pass off as Cannibal Holocaust 2 It doesn't come close to that in any way, shape or form but it's not that bad. Has a nice twist ending, decent gore, bad acting, very cute lead so, yeah - I'd put it in the second tier of Amazon exploitation flicks.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Selfie from Hell (Erdal Ceylan, 2018)
5/10
The Heart of Nuba (Kenneth A. Carlson, 2016)
+ 6/10
Zombie Massacre 2: Reich of the Dead (Luca Boni & Marco Ristori, 2015)
- 5/10
The Sun Is Also a Star (Ry Russo-Young, 2019)
6/10

It doesn't take that long.
Head Full of Honey (Til Schweiger, 2018)
5/10
Kingdom Come (Doug McHenry, 2001)
6/10
Project Ithaca (Nicholas Humphries, 2019)
+ 4.5/10
Rust Creek (Jen McGowan, 2018)
6/10

God has a good one here in this thriller.
Change in the Air (Dianne Dreyer, 2018)
5.5/10
Dead Night (Bradford Baruh, 2017)
+ 4.5/10
LUV (Sheldon Candis, 2012)
6/10
ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band from Texas (Sam Dunn, 2018)
6.5/10

ZZ Top has existed intact for 50 years.
Filly Brown (Youssef Delara & Michael D. Olmos, 2012)
+ 5/10
You Got to Move (Lucy Massie Phenix & Veronica Selver, 1985)
6.5/10
Another Way (Károly Makk, 1982)
6/10
Say Amen, Somebody (George T. Nierenberg, 1982)
6.5/10

Soulful music and history
Love Jacked (Alfons Adetuyi, 2018)
6/10
Above Ground (Thomas Rennier, 2017)
5/10
City of Fear (Irving Lerner, 1959)
5.5/10
VHS Massacre: Cult Films and the Decline of Physical Media (Kenneth Powell & Thomas Edward Seymour, 2016)
6.5/10

He contributes lots of thoughtful discussion about the rise and fall of hard copies, advertising artwork, video stores, streaming and the longevity of Troma.

Billy Madison (1995)

I have a feeling a lot of Adam Sandler movie "classics" won't stand up over time. This one still has some humor, but there were multiple instances where I was thinking how the hell did I ever find that funny. It was good to see Chris Farley, Norm Macdonald, a younger Bradley Whitford and others though.

Se sei vivo spara (1967)
aka Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot!

I had my hopes high after reading what Wiki had to say about this. So while it's rather mediocre spaghetti, I was honestly disappointed. I don't get the horror tag at all, it's not any more surreal than many other obscure spaghettis and even the violence is vastly exaggerated in various comments (it appears that the otherwise great copy on Youtube is a cut version though, but at least some of the missing footage is in other videos there).

It's still OK and little on the weird side. I wonder how much seeing the uncut version would change things.

Neat little movie about a cat in Paris leading a double life. By day, a mild mannered pet of a little girl. At night, a companion to a fleet footed burglar. A kind of thriller where the girl, her mom (a police officer), the burglar and some mob types are all connected somehow (they explain it) which leads to a final showdown. The animation is all hand drawn and looked pretty good. Really good actually. Not the biggest fan of animation movies but this was good.

Tom Horn 1980 Directed by William Wiard

Read some negative reviews about this one, but I thought it has Steve McQueen in it, how bad can it be? But neither McQueen or Linda 'Dynasty' Evans' sexy feet could save this film.