Deadite's 50 Cool Movies for Cool People

→ in
Tools    

I love Jackie Brown, it's one of Tarantino's best films and I agree with everything in that post.

Max Cherry is one of my favourite movie characters of all time.

I love Jackie Brown, it's one of Tarantino's best films and I agree with everything in that post.

Max Cherry is one of my favourite movie characters of all time.
Yeah, there's a very cool old school vibe there, and the chemistry between Forster & Grier is subtle and delightful.

that's what she said...
Nice list so far, I like that you included trailers so I could check out some that I hadn't seen yet. (Like suprisingly I never saw True Romance which is crazy because I thought I had seen everything with Brad Pitt--not that I'm a Brad Pitt obsesser but some of my friends growing up were and girls night out usually included movies with him haha) Nice "cool" list! lol

I'm kind of mixing it up on trailers, fan tributes, pics, whatever, to keep it interesting for me. Glad you like the list and if it helps you discover something you enjoy, nice!

I have a question:

Deadite, I am not cool. May I still watch these movies? Does that make me the target audience, IE: this is for people who want to become cool? Or is it only for pre-approved cool people, precluding me from participating?

Many thanks,

Not Cool In the Northeast

that's what she said...
lol, don't feel bad yoda. I am the textbook deffinition of "uncool" here in the midwest. (although I'm in AZ right now so I guess I qualify since I'm missing the snow, and I think that's pretty cool haha)

I have a question:

Deadite, I am not cool. May I still watch these movies? Does that make me the target audience, IE: this is for people who want to become cool? Or is it only for pre-approved cool people, precluding me from participating?

Many thanks,

There are many kinds of cool, my friend, and just like cool movies, cool people aren't all cool in the same ways.

Very coolly,

Deadite aka Mr. Cool

Hey, I was just kidding. I'm actually cooler than air conditioned underpants. In December. In Antarctica. Hanging out with Samuel L. Jackson. And Fonzi. Wearing sunglasses. At night. So I can, so I can.

Hey, I was just kidding. I'm actually cooler than air conditioned underpants. In December. In Antarctica. Hanging out with Samuel L. Jackson. And Fonzi. Wearing sunglasses. At night. So I can, so I can.
Yes, you can. You can even dance... if you want to...

You can leave your uncool friends behind...

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Yoda, not being cool is now the new cool. So by default, that now makes you cool. Man looks into the precipice and he sees nothing.....aw hell, screw it, I'm going for a ginger ale.

I have a question:

Many thanks,

The characters and the actions in the movie aren't meant to be fully understood.
I'd definitely agree with you on that. I think one of Persona's central themes is the manner in which people hide parts of themselves from those around them, so I guess it would make sense that the characters remain somewhat ambiguous. I'm fairly certain that Alma and Elisabet are the same person, but I don't think I'll ever know which is true: that Alma represents Elisabet's inner self or that Elisabet represents Alma's inner self.
That's a valid interpretation. Another interpretation is that they may be two individuals, but are the same on a deeper psychological level. Perhaps the film implies that all personas are masks covering an essential oneness of human beings in general, and those two are a particular example of that. I've also read of an interpretation that Elizabeth represents Bergman's silent God.

The greatness of Persona for me is that it doesn't clearly distinguish between what's meant to reflect "real life" and what's meant to be purely symbolic...
It's postmodern so you're all correct, in a way.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."