The best Slayer album is NOT Reign in Blood

Tools    

I'm a Christian (or at least, a follower of God) who realizes Slayer are NOT satanists and their music isn't gonna kill anyone, no matter what some people think. So I've heard the five classic albums today, and I admit, Reign in Blood has some of the best riffage of a metal album I've heard. But let's be honest: It's mostly riffage. It's repetitive as hell and the songs aren't that different from each other. They're mostly two minute blasts of riffage with a crossover thrash feel. Sure, the impact it had on the metal community is undeniable, but that's what's really keeping Reign in Blood on the "reign" part. Otherwise, there is a better album: Seasons of the Abyss. It didn't have the same impact on the world, but it's Slayer finally going into full bloom. The Slayer album rankings for me are practically a worst to best when discussing their classic era. I Well, that's mostly true. Reign in Blood and South of Heaven are really close.

It's really hard to say for me. I think that Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss are their top three but they're so close in quality that the order pretty much changes daily. When we did the best album countdown I voted South of Heaven (limited myself to one album per artist) - that one has some of the best drummings ever.

God Hates Us All

That's the only Slayer album after Seasons in the Abyss that I like but still firmly below the classics for me. All the other "new" ones only have a couple of good songs (not sure if all have even that, haven't listened to the last two for more than a couple of times each.

God Hates Us All

I didn't originally feel a need to listen to the non-classics, so I'm not really sure whether or not I'm going to listen to them.

My favorite Slayer albums are the first two Show no Mercy and Hell Awaits, South of Heaven is third and Seasons in the Abyss is tied with Reign in Blood for fourth place. Their best release however is Haunting the Chapel EP.

After 1990 the band has been artistically stagnant and haven't done anything worth listening, some of their later albums are so bad it looks like satire (God Hates us All is tremendously bad, a competitor with St. Anger for the worst album released by what was a great metal band).