Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Lost Weekend 1945 Directed by Billy Wilder

An almost perfect best picture winning film about addiction. If I had seen this before 1995 I probably would have gone 5/5. But Leaving Las Vegas shows that a film about this subject matter can pack a much bigger dramatic punch and Cage shows you can take the addict role to super saiyan level 5.
-

Red River 1948 Directed by Howard Hawks

Because of Scarface '32 and Rio Bravo I couldn't help but expect a bit more from Howard Hawks Red River.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

The Art of Self-Defense (Riley Stearns, 2019)

Loved this meshing of martial arts film and dark comedy. Jesse Eisenberg couldn't have been more perfect here and Alessandro Nivola is the epitome of a McDojo sensei, but Imogen Poots is great as a strong woman fighting for equality, especially by beating the living [censored] out of a black belt who gained rank before she did and yet she is more experienced than he was. The third act has a lot of shocking moments but I can't help but root for both Eisenberg and Poots here. Can't wait to see them reunite in Vivarium.

Re-watch of one of my favorite movies. So good.

1917 (2019)

This is an old fashioned suspense war drama with a single linear dramatic objective-- the type of film that was made in the 1930s. It's likely that the majority of the audience who watches this film already knows its premise --an assignment given to two soldiers which would prevent a massacre-- but are happy to experience the drama and suspense.

But it is the phenomenal photography, settings and filming techniques that subtly draw in the viewer to the protagonists' dangerous task. Cinematographer Roger Deakins will surely be a good bet for an Oscar.

Frankly this was a film which I admired and was impressed by more than one that I savored. Yet the two hour running time was never boring, and always held one's interest. Despite its R rating, director/writer Sam Mendes did not junk up the narrative with either gore or social issues. The movie stuck to the plot and laid it out for the viewer in an unusual and fresh manner.

The acting by the principles George MacKay and Dean-Charles Chapman with good supporting players was first rate, and the picture sported first rate cameos by Benedict Cumberbach and Colin Firth.

Even for those who shy away from "war" films, this is a picture that can be viewed and amazed by without getting one's hair mussed.

Doc's rating: 8/10
I agree with everything you've said here

Even for those who shy away from "war" films, this is a picture that can be viewed and amazed by without getting one's hair mussed.

Doc's rating: 8/10
My parents are not much of a movie-goer. But I forced them to go. I got them the tickets online! Me mum fell in love with it.

The Art of Self-Defense (Riley Stearns, 2019)

Loved this meshing of martial arts film and dark comedy. Jesse Eisenberg couldn't have been more perfect here and Alessandro Nivola is the epitome of a McDojo sensei, but Imogen Poots is great as a strong woman fighting for equality, especially by beating the living [censored] out of a black belt who gained rank before she did and yet she is more experienced than he was. The third act has a lot of shocking moments but I can't help but root for both Eisenberg and Poots here. Can't wait to see them reunite in Vivarium.
I watched it a few months ago, I definitely was a weird one, but fun!

Bowfinger
Pretty funny film,starring two actors who have had their fair share of atrocious movies in the last 20 years, but in this movie both Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy are at their funniest. The supporting cast is also great

I watched the South Korean movie The Host. Fairly interesting way they tackled the monster and the story.
I had a hard time appreciating few cultural nuances, but overall enjoyed the movie.

Hostiles 2017 Directed by Scott Cooper

Just saw Hostiles a fairly new 'hardcore' Western that I don't think a lot of mofos have seen. It has beautiful cinematography, great action sequences and also some flaws for me. But still definitely one to watch before sending in your Western ballot.

Sangre Eterna (2002)
(aka Eternal Blood)

A vampire film from Chile. There's a bunch of college kids who listen to gothic music and play vampire role-playing games (for the large part the film reminds me of some Christian propaganda video about the dangers of satanic RPGs). Soon one of them sees vampires in real life too. For the most part, it seems that this stupid mess at least has a clear direction but, of course, they have to ruin even that at the end. Really not worth seeing unless you just need to see everything that has vampires.

Legend in my own mind
Dragged across concrete (2018)

Loved this film!. Find out why on my review thread.

Gully Boy - 9/10

Unregistered User
For Sama (2019) -

The Irishman (2019) -

Marriage Story (2019) -
+
The Two Popes (2019) -

Jojo Rabbit (2019) -

Dolemite is My Name (2019) -

Robert Eggers, 2015 & 2019

Robert Eggers is one of the greatest young directors of our time, I can only hope for his Nosferatu. I personally have a strong cultural connection with his films. I believe the major characteristics of his work are the use mythology, folk tales, not only that, but most importantly how he magnificently convoys those to the time/place he wants, the preparation and study must have an extraordinary scrutiny. The cultural connection: I'm Portuguese and Portugal was founded by the holy church and the templar knights, so, we have a forever lasting relationship with them; witchcraft, folk tales and oceans mythology is pretty much our DNA, they're the bases for our greatest literary works. We are farmers, shepherds and fisherman's, Robert made a picture of both ways of living in a way I couldn't even imagine.

After Hours

An anti-Taxi Driver of sorts, along with that film’s many knockoffs? Instead of any semblance of the lionization Travis experiences in his respective film’s climax, Paul Hackett, after a long night of hounding women for sex, finally walks up to one at a bar and asks to sit down and just talk, and be listened to.

Was the punishment proportionate to the crime? I wouldn’t say so, but the lesson was learned. What’s a Scorsese film without a little Catholicism?

The Killers 1946 Directed by Robert Siodmak

Ava Gardner, Boss Lancaster, Classic!
On my Heist movies top30, 1940's movies top10 and Noir movies top5!

Highly controversial opinion, but I hated Joker, 3/10.