Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

It really is.

Motherless Brooklyn (2019)

Low key detective story written and directed by leading man Edward Norton. Stylish enough to hold the interest but the story is a bit thin. Some great music provides a loving backdrop. Norton, Baldwin and Defoe do their parts to hold the film together.

HONEY BOY
(2019)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

1917 (2019)

This is an old fashioned suspense war drama with a single linear dramatic objective-- the type of film that was made in the 1930s. It's likely that the majority of the audience who watches this film already knows its premise --an assignment given to two soldiers which would prevent a massacre-- but are happy to experience the drama and suspense.

But it is the phenomenal photography, settings and filming techniques that subtly draw in the viewer to the protagonists' dangerous task. Cinematographer Roger Deakins will surely be a good bet for an Oscar.

Frankly this was a film which I admired and was impressed by more than one that I savored. Yet the two hour running time was never boring, and always held one's interest. Despite its R rating, director/writer Sam Mendes did not junk up the narrative with either gore or social issues. The movie stuck to the plot and laid it out for the viewer in an unusual and fresh manner.

The acting by the principles George MacKay and Dean-Charles Chapman with good supporting players was first rate, and the picture sported first rate cameos by Benedict Cumberbach and Colin Firth.

Even for those who shy away from "war" films, this is a picture that can be viewed and amazed by without getting one's hair mussed.

Doc's rating: 8/10

In a Glass Cage (1986)

Nasty Spanish thriller concerning an ex-Nazi doctor whom performed sadistic experiments on concentration camp children. Following the war he continues to torture/rape numerous young boys until someone from his past obtains evidence to prove his heinous crimes. Well made and perverse it plays out as a twisted revenge thriller and is very effective at that. Few disturbing scenes mostly concerning the doctors crimes and it leaves you feeling a bit tawdry but its a very good film and the acting is first class.

Great to see some love for this masterpiece. I rated it even higher than you and it's one of the greatest films I've discovered in recent years. Here's my old review of it.

Hell Comes to Frogtown (1988)

Stupid and boring post-apocalypse movie. It's pretty much a pure comedy but the jokes are lame and bad (i.e. they don't make me laugh). Action is terrible too. One of the worst of its genre. Sad to see Sandahl Bergman in the trash like this (she looks good though).

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood: 7/10.

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★
My girl couldn't stand through this film, it made her angry: "Loud and chaotic!". Loved the amount of people talking at the same time during the more intense sequences... it gave me the nerves too.
Thumbs up for Sandler's performance. My favorite of him.
It's hard to think that people like the ones in the movie truly exists.
Mad world, man.

Great to see some love for this masterpiece. I rated it even higher than you and it's one of the greatest films I've discovered in recent years. Here's my old review of it.
A fine review pahaK, as you say, it's the subject matter that is the most unsettling.