The 77th Annual Golden Globe Awards

Tools    

Just FYI to my progressive friends: how you felt watching that is how conservatives feel watching almost every celebrity talk about anything all the time.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
So basically this means 1917 won't win the Oscar. I don't think they've lined up for years, although I could be wrong.

I'm really excited to see 1917, BTW.

Welcome to the human race...
Just FYI to my progressive friends: how you felt watching that is how conservatives feel watching almost every celebrity talk about anything all the time.
Gervais just comes across as a hack more than anything and the fact that he gets as much credit as he does for clearing such a low bar for punching up at Hollywood elites just make his supposedly provocative antics seem even more like part of the show. Still, at least he had the good graces to end the night with a reminder about the bushfires.

So basically this means 1917 won't win the Oscar. I don't think they've lined up for years, although I could be wrong.

I'm really excited to see 1917, BTW.
Both the HFPA and the Academy picked Green Book just last year. Other than that, there's The Artist, Argo, 12 Years A Slave, and Moonlight (but this is still leaving aside how the Globes split Best Film into both "drama" and "musical/comedy" so it can theoretically produce twice as many potential winners). So it's fairly spread out, but five of the last nine Oscar winners that also won a Best Film award at the Globes. Still, 1917 looks like it'll clean up at the tech awards but that kind of film doesn't tend to get Best Picture these days (just look at Gravity, Fury Road, or Dunkirk - I think the last movie of that kind to get BP was Return of the King). Then again, maybe the Academy might just decide to shake things up this year - in light of recent geopolitical events, it wouldn't be surprising if they decided to award it to the big anti-war film of the year.

The Irishman walking away empty handed was a complete shocker. I think the Academy will get it right. Most likely, it will get the Adapted Screenplay award.

I can't see 1917 getting the Best Picture award at the Oscars. Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood looks to be the front-runner. Mendes is in the lead for Best Director, however it would be nice of Tarantino wins it. He has yet to win for Best Director, and I believe this should be the year for him, along with the Original Screenplay award which he looks to be winning also.

For the acting awards: Joaquin Phoenix, Renee Zellweger, Brad Pitt, and Laura Dern are all locks. I doubt Awkwafina and Taron Edgerton have a chance.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Gervais just comes across as a hack more than anything and the fact that he gets as much credit as he does for clearing such a low bar for punching up at Hollywood elites just make his supposedly provocative antics seem even more like part of the show. Still, at least he had the good graces to end the night with a reminder about the bushfires.
Yeah, I'm not defending the guy in general. As you say, his whole thing is just saying things he feels are uncomfortable truths. And also as you say, at least this is "punching up" as opposed to yelling at little old evangelical ladies for believing in God, or what have you. But I said what I did because of the intense asymmetry across the political divide in being chastised for your beliefs on television by famous people. I'm not saying it's good, but if you ever wonder how people could turn to this or that, or be resentful over something, imagine something like Gervais, but every single week for a couple of decades coming at you from the people making almost all the art you enjoy. I mean for it to be illuminating, not pithy or scathing or anything.

Beyond that, I have the same relationship most people do with Gervais: can be very funny, hard not to smile when he goes after someone you don't like, but it's just five minutes until he turns it around and says something reductive or rude about someone you do, so it's hard to be a fan.

Gervais simply doesn't care

Not really a fan of his, but I do enjoy him at the Golden globes.
Not sure why some people take Ricky Gervais or any comedian host of any award show seriously. He's there to make people laugh. He's just doing his job. And he's great. People are just too sensitive and soft nowadays.

Welcome to the human race...
^Yeah well considering how humour is subjective and all that it shouldn't be surprising that he won't appeal to everyone for one reason or another.

Yeah, I'm not defending the guy in general. As you say, his whole thing is just saying things he feels are uncomfortable truths. And also as you say, at least this is "punching up" as opposed to yelling at little old evangelical ladies for believing in God, or what have you. But I said what I did because of the intense asymmetry across the political divide in being chastised for your beliefs on television by famous people. I'm not saying it's good, but if you ever wonder how people could turn to this or that, or be resentful over something, imagine something like Gervais, but every single week for a couple of decades coming at you from the people making almost all the art you enjoy. I mean for it to be illuminating, not pithy or scathing or anything.

Beyond that, I have the same relationship most people do with Gervais: can be very funny, hard not to smile when he goes after someone you don't like, but it's just five minutes until he turns it around and says something reductive or rude about someone you do, so it's hard to be a fan.
Maybe so. It's not like I keep tallies on any such asymmetry, but I do recognise that there's no shortage of artists whose personae make it hard (if not impossible) to appreciate their work, whether it's the obvious reactionaries or nominal progressives with their own severe shortcomings. It's kind of like horseshoe theory in that respect.

As far as roasting the guests go, I'm surprised there wasn't any reference to Ellen and GWB hanging out at the football a while back.

I mean, the standard privilege-take down response to that kind of thing is "yeah it's easy not to keep score when you're winning in a rout" or "not keeping score just perpetuates the status quo" and so on. Which I'm not saying or endorsing, but pointing out in the hopes of creating more understanding (if not empathy) for why some conservatives end up as angry or disconnected as they do. Not that I find that especially productive, either.

All I can say is that it's a pretty demoralizing to live with sometimes, even though I'm sure it seems minor to anyone on the other side of it. The idea of microaggressions seem like a pretty good lens here: you're just relaxing and enjoying an awards show and suddenly you get pin-pricked by some incredibly wealthy person telling you you're wrong (or even stupid/evil!) about something. You roll your eyes, move on...and then it happens again. And again. Flash forward a couple of decades and it's happening still, and more, and it's less subtle each passing year.

This leads to fundamentally difference types of people after awhile, since any conservative who wants to consistently engage with the culture is calloused against it at the same time. On the flip side, Orson Scott Card doesn't believe in gay marriage and J.K. Rowling doesn't think someone should be fired for saying biological sex is a thing, and people are either crestfallen or burning books, presumably because they've they've spent their entire adult lives getting used to the people whose work they enjoy validating their beliefs.

I wonder if this process, and the way it shapes dual personality extremes of the perpetually aggrieved or the perpetually entitled, amplifies what would otherwise be normal and bridgeable political differences.

he is the creator of the office and I think in the last decade turn to be a well-sought stand-up comedian. I think his material kinda pandering to the nihilist aspect of showbiz, technically he an "outsider" from Hollywood circle so he can spit everything with not many consequences.
as enjoying his bite in the past golden globe but I guess he turns repetitive in last night monologue and bit desperate with the punchline. I mean I can understand if (some) celebrity uses the ceremony spot to shove their self-righteousness publicity but he also generalizes and contradicting himself by lecturing people.
still, it's fun to watch someone against the status quo as part of the show.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
He's the kind of nu-atheist chucklehead who thinks that telling religious people God isn't real is the height of comedy - and that's his best quality.
Booooo!

He's the master of awkward comedy, and it's nice to see a room full of Hollywood elites not be pandered to, instead to get it with both barells. He's hardcore, and it's a refreshing change from generally intimidated safe joke hosts. I think for the most part the audience enjoy him.

His 2016 opening was slightly better though. His Mel Gibson stuff was legendary.

I've heard it said if you host a show like this you can either be popular at the after parties or popular with the general public back home. We all know what Ricky's going for.

Anyone who enjoyed it check out his 2011,12,13, and 2016 shows on you tube.

Tarantino and Pitt winning for Screenplay and Supporting Actor were highlights so far.

Hanks' speech was inspiring. I liked how he talked strictly about the movie industry and his love of the craft. The most beloved and most respected actor of our time.

I guess I'm the only one who didn't see Pitt's win coming.

The part where Ricky Gervais tells everybody to not give woke speeches because they (Hollywood elites) don't know what it's like in the real world, and the jab at DiCaprio dating girls much younger than him were the best parts.

A controversial opinion and this is not a dig at the Americans here, but a lot of Americans are upset at Gervais because they don't get British - or more specifically northern British - humour.

It's dry, dark and brutal at times. I have had the fortune of growing up with Liverpool forums and English football forums, and the humour from Brit lads - especially Scousers, Mancs, Geordies, Yorkies, Scots, etc. is ten times more brutal than anything that Reading born Gervais throws in these award functions. And it's not edgy for the sake it. It's smart.

They also don't shy away from taking the insults on their chins when thrown their way. They laugh and are quickly prepared with newer jokes.

You can also see it on several Brit shows or movies. Hardly anything is frowned upon.

I don't mind Gervais. And he is definitely punching up, and spoke a lot of harsh truths.

Re: harsh truths. Gonna steal a line I heard once (and echo my previous post, to boot): "the problem with people who say they're being brutally honest is they're usually more interested in the brutal part than the honest part."

Doesn't mean it's wrong, or that it doesn't need to be said, but it's unfortunate that the kind of person willing to say it is usually doing so for the wrong reasons.

Legend in my own mind
Not sure why some people take Ricky Gervais or any comedian host of any award show seriously. He's there to make people laugh. He's just doing his job. And he's great. People are just too sensitive and soft nowadays.
I find liitle that he does as himself funny, but enjoy his shows - The office, extras etc, but I like him digging out Hollywood A listers

A reminder to any fellow conservatives how lame it is when people hide behind the conceit of comedy (or "satire") to just take an overtly political stance, be it The Daily Show or angry stand-up comics who forget to tell jokes. I'm not sure firing back the same way is good. I can understand how it might be cathartic, but the only way it's a net good is if the slap-back causes progressives to go "okay, yeah, this is lame, let's go back to this stuff being non-exclusionary and relatively unobjectionable."

Which is, I think, probably not what will happen, which means all we've done as a group is take the bait and expand the front of the culture war, leaving fewer and fewer places where people can simply co-exist and kinda get to know each other in a way that I'm pretty sure has positive long-term effects when we do get into political issues.