The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Since two horror films started off the countdown, does anyone have any predictions of what may follow those?

Haven't seen either of these. Guessing the one film I watched from the 40s will definitely be in the top 3 of the list

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Hey, was going to make this a private list as i don't think anyone cares but just in case. I'm going to be keeping up with a list for Letterboxd - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...-of-the-1940s/

It's mostly for me as i like to know how many films i've seen and it's a little annoying when we're 60 films in or whatever having to find my last post or go to the first post and count how many i've seen, this does an automatic count if you have the films marked as watched so it's easier.

Just in case any Letterboxd users want to bookmark it for the same reason or whatever.

Since two horror films started off the countdown, does anyone have any predictions of what may follow those?
The way you worded this it sounds like they are from the same genre so i'll guess: Going My Way and Easter Parade.

I think I was the other Body Snatcher vote. My favorite Lewton flick.

I prefer the 30s Dr. J, but I really enjoy that one too.

A fun start!

Damn is this true?

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (where Fleming was based) acquired the rights to the 1931 film, originally released by Paramount Pictures, in order to keep the earlier film out of circulation. Every print of the 1931 film that could be located was destroyed, making it essentially a "lost film" for decades except for clips until a full version was found and restored.
Old Hollywood was basically the Mafia, huh.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Damn is this true?

that's messed up

pretty formmat

2 I've not seen and haven't really heard of, I might check them out eventually.

As usual, the top starts with two I haven't seen

I've heard great things about these two renowned horror classics but never considered them as top priority, probably because I don't care that much about horror. I'll check someday.

Damn is this true?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. I could definitely see if Louis B. Mayer pulling something like that.

The way you worded this it sounds like they are from the same genre so i'll guess: Going My Way and Easter Parade.
OK. Those are good guesses. But we will have to wait and see if you are correct.

By the way, I will definitely be here on time tomorrow.

I wonder how many films were destroyed by the studios and are still lost for reasons like that or the director doing it to his own films due to studio interference. John Ford destroyed scenes he felt didn't fit in with Young Mr Lincoln because the studio wanted to put them in.

Wow, great work Vamp! Even if none of mine were to make it, I'd enjoy following this one. Very pleasing to the eye, as has been stated.

Words and Music, Buck Privates Come Home, The Cat Concerto, Jane Eyre, and Angel and the Badman, ---I've seen all of them. I'm ashamed to say that I've yet to You Gotta Stay Happy, seeing as how James Stewart is my favorite actor. I must rectify that. I've heard of the rest, except Hideko the Bus-Conductor.

The Body Snatcher is an excellent movie and definitely one of Karloff's best and Henry Daniell was every bit his equal in this. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a fine film also, with Spencer Tracy and Ingrid Bergman giving the best performances. I also prefer the 1931 Frederic March version but this one is a nice remake.

I'm also one of those Abbott and Costello fans. I came very close to putting my favorite of theirs on the list, but there were too many other movies so I had to make some cuts.

Once again, you're doing a fine job, Vamp! Nothing from my list yet, but I can't wait for the next entries.

I would predict 2 more horror based on the way that was worded. So, The Uninvited and Cat People
Cat People will be higher i think. If it's another horror maybe Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein since one of their other films made the one-pointers.

I wonder how many films were destroyed by the studios and are still lost for reasons like that or the director doing it to his own films due to studio interference. John Ford destroyed scenes he felt didn't fit in with Young Mr Lincoln because the studio wanted to put them in.
This is something that really, really bothers me. I can see John Ford doing it. I can understand his reasoning for it. At the same time, whether it is a director, or a studio, it really bothers me that there are so many films (and scenes from so many of them) that are missing, or just completely gone, that we will never get a chance to experience.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a fine film also, with Spencer Tracy and Ingrid Bergman giving the best performances. I also prefer the 1931 Frederic March version but this one is a nice remake.
Fredric March and Spencer Tracy. Two Wisconsin boys that played that part very well in those films. I always enjoyed that fact.

F.Y.I

If you guys ever fall behind on the countdown, I've started to link up each film to the second post of this thread:
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...30#post1774530