The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Oh, it's been a while since I last commented here...

This is my list so far:

5. Duck amuck #55
6. Whisper of the heart #46
8. My neighbor Totoro #18
11. Tale of tales #53
12. Perfect Blue #44
13. The Plague Dogs #63
17. Millennium Actress #67
18. Mary and Max #23
20. Wallace and Gromit: The wrong trousers #35
21. The illusionist #60
23. Coraline #36

I expect at least seven more to appear, though.
None of Miyazaki's other films besides Totoro? Strategic voting I see.

24. Pinocchio
+ Disney's best
23. Mary and Max.
+
22. The Iron Giant
Entertaining but a bit flat (i.e. the emotional "texture" appears to obvious/simplistic).
21. Shrek
Good movie, nothing really special overall though.
20. Fantasia
Really impressive work of art, more impressive than enjoyable though.
19. How to Train Your Dragon
Dreawork's best.
18. My Neighbor Totoro
++ A strong candidade for the best animated film ever made, an absolute masterpiece that has deep subtle emotional textures.
17. Fantastic Mr. Fox
+ Nice, very high considering it's rather obscure.
16. Toy Story 2
The best Toy Story film.
15. Aladdin
Disney is not my cup of tea.
14. The Nightmare Before Christmas

13. Grave of the Fireflies
+ Destroys you like a bombing raid. One of the greatest films ever made.

I'm not going back through, but doesn't it look like all of Miyazaki's films are going to make it? Seems to me he is about as main stream as Pixar around here with us ignorant westerners.

Master of My Domain
The Night Before Christmas was my Number 17. As you may or may not know I love Tim Burton and his style, this film was one of the best uses of it. Burton and animation really work together well because it expands the type of imagery that can be created, thus hammering down the barrier of imagination and reality more than real-life films. Using this strength of animation, he Burton made a experience I could never forget.

I totally forgot about Grave of the Fireflies. My weekly brain fart, I should have known it was coming. Really regret leaving it out of my list, it's truly a great film.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I wonder how many of the top ten I'll even recognize.

12. Beauty and the Beast - Voting Stats

Total Points: 471
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
29 Votes: Four 1st Place (25 pts. each), Two 2nd Place (24 pts. each), Two 4th Place (22 pts. each), Three 6th Place (20 pts. each), 7th Place (19 pts.), Three 9th Place (17 pts. each), Three 10th Place (16 pts. each), Three 11th Place (15 pts. each), 12th Place (14 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 18th Place (8 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), 21st Place (5 pts.), 24th Place (2 pts.), 25th Place (1 pt.)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Beauty and the Beast was literally my last cut. It actually would have made it ahead of three films I voted for, but I wanted to give those three films a couple points.

Beauty and the Beast was my number 9. Another childhood favorite and the very first movie I saw in the movie theater.

1. Frozen
2. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
3. The Little Mermaid
4. Sleeping Beauty
5. Heavy Metal
6. Pretty sure I was the only one who voted for this one.
7. Aladdin
8. Not going to make it. Anime.
9. Beauty and the Beast
10. Fantasia
11. Fantastic Planet
12. Kinda surprised it did not make it.I thought it might even though it is Anime.
13. Bevis and Butthead Do America
14. Not going to make it. Anime.
15. Not going to make it. Lesser Disney.
16. The Nightmare before Christmas
17. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
18. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
19. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
20. Another childhood classic that will not show up.
21. Bambi
22. Another childhood classic that will not show up.
23. The Lady and the Tramp
24. Another childhood classic that will not show up.
25. This will show up.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Beauty and the Beast was my #4. The classic fairy tale got tweaked by Disney. They kept the mystery and romance but added lots of suspense and action - almost horrific elements - and pumped up the comedy and added some big, memorable musical numbers. They also upped their visual splendor. My family went back to see a reissue in IMAX, and it was like watching it in 3D without the glasses, especially the opening stained glass window scene.

Beauty and the Beat was my number 9. Another childhood favorite and the very first movie I saw in the movie theater.

Excellent film! It didn't make my list, but I do think it has one of the most breathtaking animated film moments of all time.

I've probably mentioned this quite a few times already on this forum, but I'm talking about the big dance scene of course. The way they create a feeling of space is absolutely astonishing. The shot that starts at 2:28 is pure brilliance. It shows why animation is such a special medium. The fictive camera moves in a way that would probably be impossible in real life (or at least VERY expensive). It's perfect. This is how animation should be used. It should show us perspectives and interpretations that we'll never get to see in live action films.

Beauty And The Beast was my #6. I took my wife to see it during the re-release Mark talked about. Beautiful film with great music.

Beauty and the Beast is a great Disney animated classic with one of the best visual experiences of any hand-drawn Disney film ever created. Love the constant movement and panning and it was #11 on my list! Here's what I wrote in my film diary thread about the film:

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

One of my favourite Disney classics. The animation is gorgeous to look at, with swift and smooth panning, through all these stunning and colorful images. The story is perhaps cliché but the execution is grounded and surprisingly dramatic for an animated film. It feels ambitious and only loose it a bit towards the end when it relies to much on comic relief. Apart from that this is a strong consistent Disney film.

Beauty and the Beast was #2 on my list. Great movie! Uh, hello101, what was that screen-cap from? I must be blanking out on that because I don't remember a Disney heroine getting savaged liked that.