The MoFo Top Comic Book & Graphic Novel Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

From Up On Poppy Hill is a great film! I didn't know it was based on a Manga.
Me too. I would have included it into my top 25 if I knew. It's among my top 60 animated films list!

I kind of agree with Holden that a top 50 list would have been more effective for this particular project, though. I'll follow and comment on this list regardless, but I think he has a point.[/quote]

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Top 100 animated movies.

Tomie

Points - 20
Voters - 1/35

Cowboys And Aliens

Points - 21
Voters - 4/35

Batman And Robin

Points - 22
Voters - 1/35

Stardust

Points - 22
Voters - 1/35

4 of the 21 points for Cowboys And Aliens were from me...

Seen all these, wasn't keen on Stardust or B&R... Tomie is good though, been a while but remember it being kinda spooky and fun.

Let the night air cool you off
The only one I've seen of these is Batman and Robin, but that was when I was a kid. I would probably enjoy watching it now like some people enjoy watching Ed Wood flicks.

I wish I had heard of Tomie while I was putting my list together, it looks like something I may enjoy.

I got grief for Superman Returns when Batman&Robin and Cowboys&Aliens made the cut. Two of my worst movie experiences ever.

Tomie - great horror manga (maybe even SC would like it); haven't seen any of the movies. Cowboys & Aliens and B&R are lousy movies. I read Stardust in high school. Don't remember it being very illustrated, pretty much felt like an average YA novel to me, but it's been a long time. Never saw the movie.

I'm a big Junji Ito fan. I've read part one of Tomie, although my edition is called Museum of Terror, and it's excellent - I need to read part 2. Had no clue there was a movie based on it though.

Yeah, I thought Museum of Terror had some non-Tomie strips as well. Is this true? I have both volumes that were published by ComicsOne as well as a third of non-Tomie horror one-shots.

A while ago I scanned a couple pages of Ito's humor series 'Cat Diary' in the Comic Book Tab.

It's possible, I can't remember. I know my volumes of Uzumaki have non-related strips at the end (the best one being "The Enigma of Amigara Fault").

Batman & Robin, too? You've made this list ridiculous, as in literally subjected it to ridicule, by making it a top hundred. Truly. One person votes for a piece of ***** like Batman & Robin and it makes the list? Now I don't think I even care what the top ones are, anymore.

Fans of genre films, be they sci-fi, super heroes, horror, or whatever, are so often walking around with a metaphorical chip on their shoulders, like how dare the rest of you squares not give my genre its due! And there is a kernel of truth to that sentiment, as genre films generally don't get a lot of respect from the mainstream. But part of the problem is exactly this kind of list. Many of you bitch and cry, perhaps even rightly so, when The Dark Knight doesn't make the cut for Oscar's Best Picture or whatever, but then you can turn around and hold up Superman Returns and Batman & Robin as somehow quality films? Which is what inclusion on such a list implies. Until genre fans have the backbone to call the ***** of their genre ***** and not reflexively and defensively hold it up as gold because the uptight art snobs just don't get comic books, you are devaluing your own argument for the films that truly are great and do deserve respect.

Seacrest...out!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Batman & Robin made the list!!!! YES!!!!!!! I voted for it!!!!! I see I was the only one.

First film from my list!!!! NUMBER FOUR!!!!!

This is the best list ever!!!!!!

Holden -- SHUT UP.

Take your negativity elsewhere!

Oh my God, I am so sick of him coming in here and DISRUPTING those of us who are trying to enjoy ourselves and talk about these profound pieces of art. Well, I am SORRY that you haven't learned how to appreciate these works, but until you do, if you EVER WILL, SHUT UP!

Fans of genre films, be they sci-fi, super heroes, horror, or whatever, are so often walking around with a metaphorical chip on their shoulders, like how dare the rest of you squares not give my genre its due! And there is a kernel of truth to that sentiment, as genre films generally don't get a lot of respect from the mainstream. But part of the problem is exactly this kind of list. Many of you bitch and cry, perhaps even rightly so, when The Dark Knight doesn't make the cut for Oscar's Best Picture or whatever, but then you can turn around and hold up Superman Returns and Batman & Robin as somehow quality films? Which is what inclusion on such a list implies. Until genre fans have the backbone to call the ***** of their genre ***** and not reflexively and defensively hold it up as gold because the uptight art snobs just don't get comic books, you are devaluing your own argument for the films that truly are great and do deserve respect.
I am not a big fan of these types of superhero movies at all, and I do understand that just my vote for Batman & Robin is silly, but that movie was entertaining and memorable and probably was the best early Batman movie for me. Only The Dark Knight might be better, in my opinion. Those Tim Burton Batman movies were boring and stupid. Joel Schumacher all the way. Oh, how I wanted a 5th Batman movie from Joel Schumacher.

As far as I'm concerned, though, not every comic book movie will make this list (I imagine), and I do stomp my feet to the idea that Batman & Robin is a very good movie -- my opinion is highly expert. So this list is so far accurate. I had the movie high on the list. It's important to the genre.