The MoFo Top Comic Book & Graphic Novel Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Like Holden I had reservations about you going to 100 (it was initially planned as 50 wasn't it?). I mean should a film with just one vote really get on the list? But we'll see how it goes.

That said - Fritz the Cat? Azumi? Beck? One Piece: Z? THESE AREN'T COMIC BOOK MOVIES!!!!

^ Just practicing my Sexy war cry. With my list though I just went pretty much full-on superheroes as that's what I think of when I hear comic book movies. So I'm waiting for the spandex to start showing up

EDIT - Oh and lovely tribute to your friend.

Beck was from me.

After googling it i found that picture from the manga and thought you may have been involved . Looks interesting, hopefully i'll get around to it after all of the 70's movies on my watchlist.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I don't think Beck would be very popular, but I like it well enough. Most people would probably like the manga better.

Woah, you're doing a HUNDRED of these?!? I was kinda scraping the barrel to get my twenty-five! I thought this was going to result in a top twenty or maybe a top fifty. But a hundred?!? Mmmmm, alright. Somebody give me a call when it hits the top ten or so.

Geesh.
Well, I put The Dark Knight at the bottom of my list... So if you haven't watched many great comic book films, well, I guess you should have though twice about making a list...

Like Holden I had reservations about you going to 100 (it was initially planned as 50 wasn't it?). I mean should a film with just one vote really get on the list? But we'll see how it goes.

That said - Fritz the Cat? Azumi? Beck? One Piece: Z? THESE AREN'T COMIC BOOK MOVIES!!!!

^ Just practicing my Sexy war cry. With my list though I just went pretty much full-on superheroes as that's what I think of when I hear comic book movies. So I'm waiting for the spandex to start showing up

The superhero films are much more famous so they will show up around the top 50. Given that there are not many good American superhero films (since there are not many American superhero films) you couldn't do a top 100 superhero film list, couldn't you?

Yeah, but like I said though, we'd end up losing over 2/3 of the entries if I went for 50...

I tussled with 50 or 100 for a while tbh but decided on 100... makes it more of an event as well.

Not comic movies? What you should be saying is "These are not my picks!!"

Thanks for the support on my Friend as well everyone...

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

Points - 18
Voters - 1/35

From Up On Poppy Hill

Points - 18
Voters - 1/35

Ninja Bugei-Chô

Points - 19
Voters - 1/35

Superman Returns

Points - 19
Voters - 2/35

Let the night air cool you off
I wanted to see From Up on Poppy Hill and Ninja Bugei-Chô, but I never got around to it. Superman Returns, on the other hand, I saw that one and wished I hadn't.

I liked Returns when I first saw it mainly through nostalgia and was impressed to start with when it comes to Routh but the novelty has dwindled a lot. Not keen on the film now but can still watch it after a night at the pub.

The only other one I've seen is Ghost In The Shell SAC... enjoyed it for what it was but not my kind of film.

It's on Jal90's favorite animations list as well. Too bad he didn't contribute with this countdown, his additional points would increase the ranking of Miyazaki's films.
I initially had Princess Mononoke very high, but i then found out it wasn't based on a manga. The only other Miyazaki i have seen is My Neighbour Totoro and i'm personally not a fan.

Let the night air cool you off
Btw, I like that you went with 100 instead of 50. The back half of these lists is always more interesting anyway. Now we have a larger back half.

Never seen any of GITS, but i have a friend who loves it and pretty much owns it all, so i'll no doubt watch that at some point. Ninja Bugei-Chô also looks interesting, never heard of it but i'll look out for it. The only one i have seen is Superman Returns, no offence to anyone who voted for it but that movie is a certified turd, i love Superman but the only good scene in that movie is the part where he stops the plane at the start imo.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Who the hell put Superman Returns in here. Put your hand up.

It was on the tail end of my list. I admit I dont love it but I like it better some of the other garbage out there.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I wanted to see From Up on Poppy Hill and Ninja Bugei-Chô, but I never got around to it. Superman Returns, on the other hand, I saw that one and wished I hadn't.
That's what I think also. The top half becomes predictable and therefore sometimes a little boring. It may not be the case with this list.

Nothing from my list on there, although I doubt that's the only Ghost in the Shell to make it.

Yeah 100...
I thought about 50, but we had over 150 films altogether by deadline so it'd be a shame to lose over 2/3 of the entries....
But to me this is like the NHL playoffs now. Practically EVERYbody got in, so who cares what films are on the list, until you get to the top of it? You should lose two-thirds of the list. Skepsis had 371 different titles submitted for the 1980s list. That means only 27% of the movies made it to the spotlight, which made both the countdown dramatic and also an accomplishment to make the cut. You are having closer to 65% of the comic book titles make it...so who cares? If you made your list the top fifty, that's about 33%, and much more in line with the percentage/prestige of the big decade lists. If you only named the top twenty-five, then it's only about 16% that are making the cut, and that's truly elite!

Another cue that your list is too long is that these first ones don't even have twenty-five points each, which means one person having them on their list has a flick make the cut. That's too broad. Another hint: Superman Returns is on the list, and that's a big piece of *****.

Put it this way, just go by the numbers: if Skepsis' 1980s list used the same percentage of entries you are using, it would have been The Top 241 Movies of the 1980s. And then who gives a fart? That's just silly.

I respect the enthusiasm, but I fear you've diluted the product. But, as you were. It's your list, Broseph.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flash dungeon.jpg
Views:	1204
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	13451  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra