The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
Beauty and the Beast was my Number 7!

My favorite film of the Disney Rennasisance era, and I think it's a climax of the period that will never be achieved ever again, even through something very similar.

There is a timeless magic that makes the unbelievable love story of a beauty and a beast in to something more believable than reality. It is achievable by great writing and characters and a magical and enchanting atmosphere. I can't choose a scene where I wasn't blown away.

Speaking of characters one of the favorite parts of the movie may be the supporting guys. They are waaaay beyond comic relief and an excuse for musical numbers, in fact they drove the film to levels that the leading two would never create. Not only them, but everything works together to create one of my favorite animated films.

Most importantly, the film teaches a lesson about looks aren't everything, which always is a huge relief regardless of when I saw it, first time many years ago and even now.

11. The Incredibles - Voting Stats

Total Points: 484
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
34 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), 3rd Place (23 pts.), Three 4th Place (22 pts. each), Two 5th Place (21 pts. each), Two 6th Place (20 pts. each), Three 7th Place (19 pts. each), Four 9th Place (17 pts. each), 10th Place (16 pts.), 11th Place (15 pts.), Two 12th Place (14 pts. each), 13th Place (13 pts.), 14th Place (12 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), Two 17th Place (9 pts. each), Two 18th Place (8 pts. each), Two 20th Place (6 pts. each), 22nd Place (4 pts.), Two 23rd Place (3 pts. each), 24th Place (2 pts.)

Interesting. I would've thought this would be #6 or something. Don't mind it here, though.
Well it certainly wasn't lacking in points.

On that note, as we head into the top ten keep an eye on those point totals. They get really, really insane. (ETA: Apparently not quite as insane as the point totals for the top films in the 70s list, but for a list that so many people tried to dismiss as "too niche," it's pretty crazy.)

I didn't vote for The Incredibles, but I do love it. I'm sure most of its fans get a big kick out of the action scenes, but my favorite parts of the film are at the beginning where we see Mr. Incredible struggling to cope as an insurance agent. The interaction between him and his boss is hysterical. I also absolutely adore the scenes with Edna Mode, my favorite Incredibles character.

For Beauty and the Beast, I haven't seen it since childhood but I didn't care much for it back then so I've no real desire to revisit it.

A system of cells interlinked
I had Grave of the Fireflies at number NINE overall, and The Nightmare Before Christmas at number TWENTY-FOUR overall.

I have never seen Beauty and the Beast! (I know, I know...)

I had The Incredibles at number EIGHTEEN overall.

I had The Incredibles as my number sixteen pick, and I kinda expected it to be top five material on the group list, but eleven is certainly more than respectable. Chalk it up to too many great PIXARs to choose from, I reckon. That makes nineteen of mine. All I wanna know, now, is WHERE IS MY SUPER-SUIT?!?

1. Waltz with Bashir (#26)
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox (#17)
3. beyond improbable
4. The Wrong Trousers (#35)
5. A Town Called Panic (#76)
6. The Lego Movie (#32)
7. The Illusionist (#60)
8. Alice in Wonderland (#33)
9. Persepolis (#28)
10 Akira (#29)
11. not a fu*kin' prayer
12. Coraline (#36)
13. Animal Farm (#89)
14. abs-oh-frickin'-loot-lee
15. Yellow Submarine (#62)
16. The Incredibles (#11)
17. t'would appear not
18. shamefully, not gonna make it
19. Watership Down (#75)
20. Waking Life (#41)
21. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (#25)
22. How to Train Your Dragon (#19)
23. Sleeping Beauty (#54)
24. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (#42)
25. Hugo the Hippo (DNP)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	incred.jpg
Views:	1995
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	19586  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I love The Incredibles, but it didn't make my list because I tried to keep my Disney and Pixar picks to a minimum, and there are a couple of Pixar movies that I love even more.

On the surface, it kind of felt like a ripoff of The Fantastic Four, but better. My favorite character is Edna "No Capes!" Mode. I even have a little plastic figure of her on my desk.

I'm glad to see that it made it this high on the list without my help.

The Incredibles is great, but the way it handles its message comes up a bit short beside other Pixar outings.

Nevertheless I love to throw it in the Blu-ray player, and it's solid entertainment material mosr defiantly... Didn't have it on my list though.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Incredibles is my #1. I'll just quote my mafo MoFo Top 100.
The Incredibles (Brad Bird, 2004)

I love everything about this movie. I realize that, first off, most people think of it as just a Pixar film or an animated film or a super hero film, but I think those tags for it miss the point of what I believe the film to be. It certainly tells a good story, not only in the context of a "family film" or the greatest James Bond film never made, but also in its overall creative presentation. The Incredibles displays sparkling wit and invention on almost every level: character animation, vocal expression, art direction/set design, the yummy musical score which sounds like it's from a '60s spy movie, only much cooler, and the use of both old-style "newsreels" and modern technology to make the plot more-complex and put the entire thing into larger satirical focus. This doesn't even mention the incredibly fast pace of both the editing and the verbal/visual humor.

A normal movie about super heroes wouldn't dig this deep into all the hassles inherent in being a super hero inside when the world won't allow you to express it on the outside. It also presents a family dynamic which is realistic in that it is so full of contradictions. The males in the Incredible family really want to express their super powers, while mom (Holly Hunter) knows it's better for the family (in more ways than one) to stifle them, just as the legal system and government have deemed necessary. The daughter is at the age where she's getting interested in boys but is very shy about this normal process and is able to use her power to help her get through it. The son just wants to be able to show off in sports once in awhile. The baby, well, we don't know about the baby...

Before I start sounding too serious and pompous about what I consider one of the most exhilaratingly FUN movies ever made, let me mention the "Incredible" supporting characters. Mr. Incredible's (Craig T. Nelson's) best friend Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson) is one bad mutha, Jason Lee is a riot as a science/tech geek who wants to be Mr. Incredible's sidekick, and perhaps best of all, director/screenwriter Brad Bird plays Edna E. Mode, the costime designer to the super heroes, as a sort of cross between Edith Head and Linda Hunt.

All the gibberish above can just be ignored if you like, while I cut to the heart and soul of how I feel when watching The Incredibles. I feel like the giddy kid I was in the 1960s who fell in love with movies and cartoons. The main difference today is that I can love this film because it reminds me of so many other terrific films which are a part of me, yet it feels newer and more intense than almost all of them. Another thing I think about when I'm watching this movie is that it's a great FILM. I certainly don't think I'm watching a cartoon because these characters are real to me. I'm just glad that the technology is available so that a film classicist of the stature of Brad Bird can share this story with all of us.

I'm sure I had The Incredibles on my list, it's a great film and beats out most live action superhero movies.

Mr. Incredible is an awesome character.

The Incredibles was number 17 on my list. It's my second favorite Pixar film and probably my all time favorite superhero film. The reason for that is probably (besides all the other qualities of the film of course) that '60s feeling Mark describes in his Mafo post. The Incredibles gives the sensation of old-fashioned fun with some satirical cleverness between the lines.

I saw this film in the theater when it came out as a 10 year old boy and I still love it just as much as a 21 year old!

I'm sure I had The Incredibles on my list, it's a great film and beats out most live action superhero movies.

Mr. Incredible is an awesome character.
You had it at #10.

The Incredibles was my #12. It's the only film i really regret not rewatching for the list, watching it drop from 5 to 12 while compiling my list was sad, not having watched it in about 3-4 years makes it difficult to add anything but when i first watched it was top 10. Basically add a year to Cobpyths last sentence and that was me (still 21 though) .

Beauty and the Beast is another family favourite that i really liked when i was younger, but have no idea how i'd feel about it now.

Watched - 63/90
My List - 12/25

2.Fantastic Mr.Fox
6.Waltz With Bashir
7.Persepolis
8.The Wrong Trousers
11.Duck Amuck
12.The Incredibles
14.South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
16.Allegro No Troppo - Bolero
19.Howls Moving Castle
20.Pinocchio
22.Watership Down
25.Millenium Actress

Top 10 guess:

1.Up
2.Wall-E
3.Toy Story
4.Spirited Away
5.The Lion King
6.Monster Inc
7.Toy Story 3
8.Princess Mononoke
9.Ratatouille
10.Finding Nemo

Wait until Nemo isn't 10 tomorrow to tell me i'm wrong this time MV .

Top 10 guess:

1.Up
2.Wall-E
3.Toy Story
4.Spirited Away
5.The Lion King
6.Monster Inc
7.Toy Story 3
8.Princess Mononoke
9.Ratatouille
10.Finding Nemo

Wait until Nemo isn't 10 tomorrow to tell me i'm wrong this time MV .
Well those are the top ten, I won't say if you got them in the right order though.
Anybody else want to take a crack at the order?

I had The Incredibles at #17.

MY LIST:

1. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
2. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
4. The Little Mermaid (1989)
5. A Scanner Darkly (2006)
6. Yellow Submarine (1968)
7. not gonna make it
8. All Dogs Go To Heaven (1989)
9. 101 Dalmatians (1961)
10. The Jungle Book (1967)
11. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
12. will make it
13. Lady and the Tramp (1955)
14. Fantasia (1940)
15. will make it
16. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
17. The Incredibles (2004)
18. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
19. not gonna make it
20. Wreck It Ralph (2012)
21. Pinocchio (1940)
22. Waltz with Bashir (2008)
23. Toy Story 2 (1999)
24. Bambi (1942)
25. Grace (1986) - one pointer

Damn. Only three from my list won't make it. One was a one pointer.