Swan's 2018 Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

I would say no, because it's science fiction.
Alright then screw Annihilation. On the other hand, my wife likes Sci-Fi so I may get it just so she watches something with me.

Primer -

(Shane Carruth, 2004)

[REWATCH]

Shane Carruth is a personal filmmaking hero of mine, and that was pretty instant after the first time I saw Primer. I just love everything about this film, wrinkles and all. Precisely because it's so low-budget. I feel this film is a testament to how money doesn't make movies good. Carruth took 7,000 dollars and made what I find to be a fascinating, thought-provoking time travel movie. Some times, it's better to provoke the imagination than show everything, and that's why not having all the money can be to a filmmaker's benefit.

Game Night -

(John Francis Daley & Jonathan M. Goldstein, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Way better than pretty much anyone expected I'm sure. Makes the most out of the comedy genre with some great wit and acting. I think comedies get crapped on by elitist film buffs more than any genre, but I think there is just as much value to these sorts of movies. I think I'm just sick of the snootiness (which surely I have been a part of myself in the past).

I want Raul to see this just because he's a McAdams fan. She's so fantastic in it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I am so tempted to see. Still haven't seen a 2018 film, but I never really watch too many beginning of the year films any year.

Watching Annihilation and Game Night this week, so intrigued by both.
I want to do this, but have a feeling I won't. It will depend what time they deliver my new couch tomorrow if I go to one.

My wife and I still want to see Black Panther as well.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I want to do this, but have a feeling I won't. It will depend what time they deliver my new couch tomorrow if I go to one.

My wife and I still want to see Black Panther as well.
You should totally do it! And we'll both have reviews the same week! Which of the three do you find most appealing?

You should totally do it! And we'll both have reviews the same week! Which of the three do you find most appealing?
Definitely Black Panther, although all three could disappoint me. Sean has me intrigued with McAdams role and I do like Portman too.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Your wife is cooler than you.
Your wife is even cooler.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Insult -

(Ziad Doueiri, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

A riveting and refreshingly optimistic testament to human goodness that also tackles questions about war, the justice system, and hate in general. These questions are specific to the country but are far-reaching enough to speak universally. I was hooked from the get-go, and throughout the film felt a plethora of emotions and thoughts. My only nitpick is the score, which while good in pieces was overall very inconsistent. Nonetheless, the film succeeded in making a small, contained drama about a conflict between two people feel large in it's ideas and scope.

Death Wish -

(Eli Roth, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Boy, the critics are having a field day with this one. I wrote a whole review about this but I don't want to get too into it. Most of you know how big a fan of Roth I am. It's unfortunate, the timing of this film's release. And I'm not going to rag on the critics because I get it. If you're trying to derive anything political out of this movie - which is easy to do - it may come off like a gun nut's wet dream. But I don't think Roth intended anything like that. To me this is a taut, well-made and entertaining revenge thriller - and I think that's exactly what Roth wanted it to be.

Death Wish -

(Eli Roth, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Boy, the critics are having a field day with this one. I wrote a whole review about this but I don't want to get too into it. Most of you know how big a fan of Roth I am. It's unfortunate, the timing of this film's release. And I'm not going to rag on the critics because I get it. If you're trying to derive anything political out of this movie - which is easy to do - it may come off like a gun nut's wet dream. But I don't think Roth intended anything like that. To me this is a taut, well-made and entertaining revenge thriller - and I think that's exactly what Roth wanted it to be.
I will give this a watch as I am a fan of Bruce

A Fantastic Woman -

(Sebastian Lelio, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Subtle, low-key character piece about Marina, who is hands down my favorite character of 2017. While the craft on display is excellent the film works because of Daniela Vega (her snub at this year's Oscars being perhaps the most perplexing in a year full of perplexing snubs) and the character she is portraying. As it progressed I became more and more moved by her story, to the point where I felt devastating emotions at the simple sight of her, knowing the emotional torment she was dealing with.

Vega gave my favourite performance of last year. Really good film.
Same. Tremendous performance.

movies can be okay...
I was actually going to watch "A Fantastic Woman" today as well. Maybe I still will.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Veronica -

(Paco Plaza, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Makes up for a somewhat generic script with good atmosphere and style, but not enough to make it stand out. I feel I am overrating it slightly, because I haven't thought much about it since I watched it. But whatever. There's a lot to like about it.

Red Sparrow -

(Francis Lawrence, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

I... kind of loved it. Definitely a slow burn and I get why a lot of people don't like it, but I thought it had a lot of glorious stuff. Super seedy and stylistic, with weird sexual stuff and violence that is used sparingly but purposefully and powerfully. All that stuff contributed greatly to the emotionally claustrophobic atmosphere. Just a fascinating film all around, and one I personally appreciated.