Mortal Kombat Reboot (2021)

Tools    

Nice take.

In the games Goro works. He looks fluid, believable, you don't think twice about him not existing in that form in that universe. Maybe it's due to the simpler demands of a video game versus a fully rendered character in a movie. All of that stuff works in the world-building they created. When he sticks out like a sore thumb in a movie versus a game, I think that's a reasonable thought.

For the record, my MK fandom does not extend to the games of the past 20 years.
Johnny cage is probably a subplot...let s wait and see

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
It seems pretty blatant doesn’t it? They’re not going to leave him out, but I don’t see this Cole guy being him either.

Maybe Johnny Cage is gonna be a secondary bad guy or something. Hopefully he’s not a damsel in distress

The trick is not minding
Hey now, that first one is at the very least passable.
Funny story about that first one. I went with a group of friends to see it in the theatre. The film burned itself out. Then the second one did the same. It was almost like a warning, as I look back in hindsight.
We were given vouchers to watch at a later date, which we did that same week as I recall.
It was released in 1994 iirc. I was 16. Mortal Kombat took my innocence. I was never the same again.
There are times I look back and think to myself “Why didn’t I listen to the Gods, who were clearly trying to warn me by burning the first two reels that night?!”

Now I wander aimlessly, cursed with the memories of that fateful night, struggling to sleep as nightmarish images float in my head of Johnny Cage punching Goro in his nards, and the face Goro makes upon said punch.
The horror......the horror.....

I mean, I love Mortal Kombat but not sure about another movie!! I'll still watch it though aha

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I love the original Mortal Kombat movie, because as a kid, it was like the biggest movie ever when I first saw it back when it was released. So it's more of a nostalgic thing, and I like it as an adult out of nostalgia. But do I want to see another one as an adult today? It would be like remaking The Princess Bride today. A lot of people have nostalgic memories of the original, but I don't think they are going to care for a reboot today decades later.

I had never been so jealous of anyone until the day I found out you had a Princess Bride level experience with the original Mortal Kombat.

Welcome to the human race...
The key difference being that The Princess Bride was a generally acclaimed adaptation that effectively replaced its solitary source novel in the popular consciousness whereas the Mortal Kombat movie got a mixed reception and is still mainly considered an off-shoot of a game franchise that's been putting out new games consistently for about thirty years now. The reboot isn't targeting people who liked the original movie, it's targeting people who like the games themselves (especially considering that the series has gone through something of a renaissance due to its last few entries).

Will we ever find out what happened to Johnny Cage? 🤔

WARNING: "MK2021" spoilers below
The final shot of the film is of the hero heading to Hollywood to find him.

I don t think it s better , it has maybe a better character development in some places but the original is better paced, more coherent,with a legendary score, has that dread feel, and cary tagawa was just a much better chang sung, all in all i prefer the original

The key difference being that The Princess Bride was a generally acclaimed adaptation that effectively replaced its solitary source novel in the popular consciousness whereas the Mortal Kombat movie got a mixed reception and is still mainly considered an off-shoot of a game franchise that's been putting out new games consistently for about thirty years now. The reboot isn't targeting people who liked the original movie, it's targeting people who like the games themselves (especially considering that the series has gone through something of a renaissance due to its last few entries).
It doesn t matter i like the original and i like the games, the only good thing in this film is the choreography of the fight scenes and the effects...all the other aspects are missing in action

I mean, it's also trying to appeal to people who aren't familiar with the source material at all, too bad it handles that familiarisation in a half-assed way.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I actually liked it. It had the classic "lowly man gaining confidence" bit with new character Cole, Kano's wise cracks, Kung Lao having IMO the best fatality of the film, some great other fatalities, the Scorpion-Sub-Zero rivalry done amazingly as the bookends of the film. Sub-Zero really stole the film with his tenacity and brutality. I hope there will be a sequel where we will finally see Johnny Cage. I saw some fan casting for Cage in the forms of either Alain Moussi or even Mike "the Miz" Mizanin.