Dog Star Man's Film Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I had to stop for a time, (I hate to admit this, but I don't think people are going to pass judgment on me). I'm bipolar I, which is the worst bipolar you can have. I had a complete bipolar disorder breakdown and was admitted to a mental hospital for a period of time. I was released this year, told to take Lithium, (among other mood stabilizers), and to get out amongst my friends until I could be more "back-on-track"... so most of my time here, and my reviews, where made pre-mental hospitalization. That's the sad story to it all. But the good news to it is that Lithium has completely changed my life around for the better, (well somewhat, I do miss the cosmic-creative bursts, I just have that in milder sense now), and I hope to do some more reviews on here, and on my own website, in the future.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

What are the poles of your bipolar? Watching sweet-ass films and knowing loads about film history/theory?

*wink*

By the way, I've heard some horror stories about Lithium around my household. Glad it's working out for you though!

What are the poles of your bipolar? Watching sweet-ass films and knowing loads about film history/theory?
Well when I'm in mania, everything is an inspiration from god. I start receiving messages of "this is how you would(s)..." so for example under a manic faze I discovered how to do a tri-montage, (montage, within montage, within montage). Or I felt a grand force was telling my that there were seven-to-ten dimensions of cinematic pursuit and only the basic two-to-four, (which is pushing it), have been utilized. So I started writing this message out and kept it in a little book of mine. I just think nothing of film, but it goes beyond that, I start thinking I'm a chosen product of God and that external forces are beings which try to get in my way.

When I'm depressed, I sleep all the time, I can't function. I barely eat, I wake up to eat my food, then after I barely eat it I go right back to sleep.

Then the dangerous part of bipolar, a mixed episode. I've had three of these in my life time... the first time I got my Dad's shotgun from under the bed, put it in my mouth, and pulled the trigger... it wasn't loaded, so as I was finding bullets my Dad caught me and took me to the hospital. Another time, I took an overdose of sleeping medications, downed with alcohol, stripped to my underwear, and walked outside to a busy main road at 3am and walked down the middle of it waiting for a car to hit me. I woke up by the side of the road the next day. Then in a milder form of a mixed state, I went into a scalding hot shower with a comb and rubbed the comb up and down my face, creating friction, until my face opened up and I bled all over the bathroom... yeah mixed states are something to be dreaded.

By the way, I've heard some horror stories about Lithium around my household. Glad it's working out for you though!
For the longest time, my doctors didn't want me to go on Lithium, but since my case was so extreme, they felt they had no choice.

I had to stop for a time, (I hate to admit this, but I don't think people are going to pass judgment on me). I'm bipolar I, which is the worst bipolar you can have. I had a complete bipolar disorder breakdown and was admitted to a mental hospital for a period of time. I was released this year, told to take Lithium, (among other mood stabilizers), and to get out amongst my friends until I could be more "back-on-track"... so most of my time here, and my reviews, where made pre-mental hospitalization. That's the sad story to it all. But the good news to it is that Lithium has completely changed my life around for the better, (well somewhat, I do miss the cosmic-creative bursts, I just have that in milder sense now), and I hope to do some more reviews on here, and on my own website, in the future.
I would never pass judgement on you I have been working with people with Mental illness for 40yrs Lithium is the right choice for Bipolar glad it is helping you don't listen to people who try to tell you it is bad When they get their medical degree then they can have a say but only if their speciality is Mental Health Glad you are better

Well when I'm in mania, everything is an inspiration from god. I start receiving messages of "this is how you would(s)..." so for example under a manic faze I discovered how to do a tri-montage, (montage, within montage, within montage). Or I felt a grand force was telling my that there were seven-to-ten dimensions of cinematic pursuit and only the basic two-to-four, (which is pushing it), have been utilized. So I started writing this message out and kept it in a little book of mine. I just think nothing of film, but it goes beyond that, I start thinking I'm a chosen product of God and that external forces are beings which try to get in my way.
sorry if i'm WTFOMGAWESOME!!!!1ing at this paragraph

tri-montage... holy shiiiiiii

I would never pass judgement on you I have been working with people with Mental illness for 40yrs Lithium is the right choice for Bipolar glad it is helping you don't listen to people who try to tell you it is bad When they get their medical degree then they can have a say but only if their speciality is Mental Health Glad you are better
Thank you!

By the way, I've heard some horror stories about Lithium around my household.
All drugs have side effects even Herbal ones just because it doesn't work for one person doesn't mean its bad

Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! was a great exploitation film. Cult classic. I watch it once or twice a year.

Plus, Lori Williams was SOOOO fine. Total babe.

Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! was a great exploitation film. Cult classic. I watch it once or twice a year.

Plus, Lori Williams was SOOOO fine. Total babe.

Favorite line: "My motor never stops baby!"

and

"Me Jane... YOU Tarzan, get it bub?"

Dog Star, did you like Meyer's other famous exploitation movie, Supervixens? Not as good as Faster Pussycat Kill Kill but still pretty good. A cult classic.

You should review that one in this thread.

Shari Eubank is proof God is a man.

The Mechanics of Love

The Mechanics of Love has been an enormous influence on my own personal film endeavors, be it practice or in theory. The basic just of the movie is a couple having implied intercourse seen through juxtapositions of sexual themed objects. These ideas however are propelled through visual composition and a dislocated auditory narrative that plays and commentates, through poetry, the thoughts and feelings that the couple shares between one another. This sole aesthetic is a powerful idea with endless possibilities. If visual aesthetic and audio aesthetic and work outside one another but can still maintain symbiosis, a film maker who utilizes this technique to it's highest degree can achieve things that make the "impossible", possible. I will give an example. What is film? What makes it unique in the visual arts? We work within time and space... much like music. However, over music, we also work with music and sound as well. But what happens when we dislodge the linear visuals... the linear audios... and put them together in a different form of cinematic puzzle? The answer is quite simple. A multi-linear film. These are the things that I experiment, with great success, in my production time. The Mechanics of Love is a small step toward multi-linearism. And that is why I consider it to be one of the greatest films ever made.

The Mechanics of Love...one of the greatest films ever made.
I'll have to check it out then, all 5 minutes and 43 seconds that is.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
If it's one of the greatest films, why don't you mention anyone involved in it? Is that because it's a one-off or because it just is? Why should anyone else consider it a great film? I mean, there are many films which do things which others don't attempt very often. What makes this greater than those?

If it's one of the greatest films, why don't you mention anyone involved in it? Is that because it's a one-off or because it just is? Why should anyone else consider it a great film? I mean, there are many films which do things which others don't attempt very often. What makes this greater than those?
A sly one you are Mark.

I write reviews about films I find attractive, films that influence and inspire me. What is the point of your post when I've clearly tried to illustrate this sole point in practically every review I've written on here thus far. There are many "great" films. I consider this film in the same pantheon as those films, for reasons, which if I may say so myself, I tried/or did illustrate. Frankly, after being gone so long, maybe I'm a tad rusty. But I don't think I am. However, what I will say now is that I don't feel the need to cave to your complaints, or should I say dignify, them with a response or retort. I'm doing this for my own pleasure, fun, and gain. Which you single-handedly, (let's face facts here, this isn't the first time you tried to sabotage my interests in this thread), try to ruin with passive-aggressive thread posts. To each his own I've said, on many accounts, but I honestly don't need to cave, nor should I, to your demands of what a "review" should have when I'm doing this for the sole reasons of "pleasure, fun, and gain". Post here all you want, but I'll make my stand now. It's been made quite clear in this thread and in others you like to be passive-aggressive toward me. So fine. So be it. Post on this thread if you like, I'm not going to stop you. But I'm certainly, not after this, going to bite your bait. I don't want to talk to you. You're not the type of person I feel like I need to be around. I'm a good person, I know I'm a good person. I'm nice to people and treat them as my equals. There are a lot a good people on this board. Very caring, and nice, and I'm not going to let one sour-puss ruin my experience here.

So Adieu Mark man.

Warrendale

Warrendale, to me, has to be one of the finest examples of Direct Cinema being put to use in the most appropriate fashion possible. Direct Cinema was a branch of documentary film making which stated that things must be documented as "truth", and in doing so the act of filming this "truth" you in essence go against the grain and "falsehoods" that arise from normal film making, documentary form or otherwise. Warrendale is about an experimental housing project designed to help mentally challenged or disturbed youth. With the idea of filming this home in the "truest" way possible, Warrendale is a powerhouse film full of emotions, for better or worse, and by all definitions a cry out for the good, human, soul. Having been admitted to similar youth programs myself for my own disorder, this film hit very close to home and at times made me cry for those experiencing the mental anguish I clearly remember from my peers and myself at that age. Things like going into ill-found rages that you don't know where the initiation point stemmed from; the sleepless nights in which waking up seems so hard and dreadful; the feeling of misplaced guilt when a loved one dies; and the notion that, even though you are young, you are advised by doctors to smoke to relieve the mental pains you are in, even though such a thing may kill you down the line. Warrendale sheds light on all these painful subjects, but, though painful as it may be, I think it is truly a humanistic film of monumental proportions. It is a film that tries to alleviate the societal stigma of these terrible ills, and asks humankind not so much for acceptance... rather, I think, tolerance. And tolerance could very well be one of the most beautiful aspects of the human heart. Warrendale is a magnificent film, and I recommend that anyone who wants to open their hearts and minds to the human condition, (as I think we all do), I'm sure you would enjoy this film.

I like your movie reviews a lot Dog Star Man ! I've seen you in a couple of movie forums and ive finally tracked you down here! What is it that attracts you to b & w classic movies?

And seeing your review of Faster Pussycat! and tetsuo makes me want to check them out ! Currently, im just working on my top 30 favourite movie list! i think 100 will crack my brains!