Surreal Movies

Tools    

I probably should, really liked it the first time around.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Although I wouldn't call The Straight Story surreal, I would say that it has a poetic and dreamlike quality to it and it's narrative.

I'd also agree completely with mark about A Nightmare On Elm Street. It's almost like one, long dream sequence (which is no suprise.)

Anyway, a few more I'd put up. Some or more may've already been mentioned, but I can't be bothered to check back and look. Sorry.

Most Argento films could, on some level, be described as 'dreamlike' or have dreamlike sequences.

Semper Fooey
Some Robert Altman movies

Brewster McCloud

Images

Quintet

3 Women

and the movie that inspired 3 Women

Bergman's Persona

HARDCAST OVERLORD
I liked Donnie Darko, Amelie, Delicatessen, Blue Velvet, and Ashes of Time Redux.

This is one of my favorite genres, here are a few they haven't been mentioned

Trainspotting

Paprika

Alice In Wonderland

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

A Scanner Darkly

Waking Life

Pan's Labyrinth

Tokyo

Tideland

oooh, I need to see this. Carax's Mauvais Sang is one of my favorites. Don't know if that would qualify as a surreal movie. Maybe?

oooh, I need to see this. Carax's Mauvais Sang is one of my favorites. Don't know if that would qualify as a surreal movie. Maybe?
I haven't seen Mauvais Sang but Carax's portion of Tokyo is probably the lesser of the three.

Funnily enough the Godfather of surrealism, Salvador Dali was involved in the production of a surrealist movie alongside director Luis Buñuel, which in my opinion is by far the original and best surrealist film.

Check out the Un chien andalou part and 2 here:

Jay
On Screen

The baby (1973)

A social worker who recently lost her husband investigates the strange Wadsworth family. The Wadsworths might not seem too unusual to hear about them at first - consisting of the mother, two grown daughters and the diaper-clad, bottle-sucking baby. The problem is, the baby is twenty-one years old

Here is clip

Some great ones already mentioned. I thought I'd add a few new ones.

The Saragossa Manuscript directed by polish director Wojciech Has
Jean-Luc Godard's weekend
Guy Maddin's Careful
Chris Marker's La Jetée short film that uses still photography to tell it's story.

I seconded Incident at Owl Creek amazing short film.

Female Jungle Poster
Ack, you beat me to it!

Also, Audrey Rose:

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

I'm unsure if it's been mentioned but one of Vanilla Sky's most attractive features is it's surreal features.

Seeing Tom Cruise alone in an isolated Times Square surely ranks right up there.

As does seeing Steven Spielberg casually stroll by inside David Aimes' (Cruise) apartment.