Swan's 2018 Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

Carrie -

(Brian De Palma, 1976)

[REWATCH]

Some great performances and, frankly, one of the best finales in horror cinema history. Fascinating depiction of repression. Most of us knew a girl like Carrie White in high school, and that is what the filmmakers (and King with his book) are betting on.
I swear i saw you log this as
on Letterboxd a few hours ago. Am i going insane or did you change your mind?

Not seen Carrie for years but remember it as being solid enough and pretty effective. I really ought to give Elephant a go at some point, seems quite a few rate it well on here.

I swear i saw you log this as
on Letterboxd a few hours ago. Am i going insane or did you change your mind?
Rated it a 4 at first, maybe you added an extra star in your head?

I'd never heard of Mom and Dad until Suspect reviewed it. I've since watched the trailer and read a few more reviews of it on Letterboxd, and it looks and sounds like something I'd possibly enjoy. I love me some Cage, and I've seen it described as "Cage-sploitation." It's gotta be better than most of the dreck he's appeared in over the last few years. Your rating seems harsh if you were "howling" with laughter. Did you watch it on the night of a full moon or something?

Carrie didn't hold up well for me when I re-watched it for the 70's Countdown. The finale is indeed amazing and iconic, and I think Spacek is great, but Piper Laurie's cartoonish performance bugs me.

I agree with your take on Elephant and rate it the same, although I don't personally find it derivative just because I'm not sure what films it was influenced by.

I think City of God would've had a chance at the number one spot on the Directed by Women Countdown if was eligible. It's one of the very few movies I can't recall ever seeing anyone dislike.

For the record, I still think House of 1000 Corpses is awesome. It's probably my second favorite horror movie after The Devil's Rejects. Rob Zombie is so much better than that Eli Roth guy.

Elephant is a very nice movie. I have to agree love the review.

I'd never heard of Mom and Dad until Suspect reviewed it. I've since watched the trailer and read a few more reviews of it on Letterboxd, and it looks and sounds like something I'd possibly enjoy. I love me some Cage, and I've seen it described as "Cage-sploitation." It's gotta be better than most of the dreck he's appeared in over the last few years. Your rating seems harsh if you were "howling" with laughter. Did you watch it on the night of a full moon or something?
Cage gets all of the one and a half star. The rest is worthless.

The Phantom Planet -

(William Marshall, 1961)

[NEW WATCH]

Directed by Blacula (no joke), I actually quite enjoyed this. It's cheesy but not without some clever stuff, and is overall an entertaining watch.

Early Man -

(Nick Park, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Though incredibly predictable - I could guess every beat coming it's way - it works because it's humble and charming.

Annihilation -

(Alex Garland, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

There won't be a better film this year. Or for the rest of the decade. Or ever again. That's right, Alex Garland made the peak of cinema and we will never ever top it.

Just kidding. Art doesn't quite work like that. But still. This movie shook me to my core and devastated my psyche. I came out of the theater feeling, albeit for only a short while as I went home, paranoid not just of the people around me but in weird ways like things on a cellular level.

I don't think everyone will like it that much, though. It's a very slow burn and often pretty heady. But I think those it really clicks with are in for a treat.

I seriously thought that quote was real for a split second
He's just trying to rustle my feathers. BUT THESE FEATHERS ARE UNRUSTLEABLE, CAP!

I don't think it's a movie for everyone, but it worked for me really well.

Annihilation is out on Netflix here March 12th. Looking forward to it as i'm a fan of Ex Machina.
Thing that sucks is it's a movie meant to be seen on the big screen. Seeing it on Netflix for the first time sounds awful.

I am still digesting the film, so can't make any calls like that.

Thing that sucks is it's a movie meant to be seen on the big screen. Seeing it on Netflix for the first time sounds awful.
I struggle with sci-fi sometimes, some of it i love but it can also be the most boring genre to me. So i rarely go to the cinema to see sci-fi movies as there's nothing worse than being stuck watching something really dull. It being on Netflix is perfect for me. I mean i have a good tv it's not the same but it's not like i'll be watching it on my phone, it definitely won't be awful. I also think the sacredness of the first viewing is ridiculous nonsense.