Comedies with surprisingly depressing endings

Tools    

The truth is in here
Over a month ago or so I saw Mr. Hulot's Holiday, the revered Jaques Tati film. At first it started out very slow and although nicely stylized it felt like the comedy went over my head, but eventually it started getting more humorous and I ended up liking it. My favorite scenes are people mistaking Hulot for a shark and when he accidentally creates fireworks.

However, once it got to the ending, and he tried to say goodbye to his romantic interest but was unable to, I felt... sad. This man is so totally inept at everything that he will never really get anywhere, since he will bungle every good opportunity. His bad luck and uncontrollable clumsiness is a constant curse.

I love this thread, can’t wait to see what pops up. Can’t think of much myself. I thought The Grand Budapest Hotel took a downward turn in tone toward the end, but it felt like a tragicomedy throughout.

I think that there's a whole slew of indie comedies that aren't afraid to have sad or melancholy endings. I'm thinking of something like Molly Shannon's film The Year of the Dog.

A system of cells interlinked

A system of cells interlinked
First of all, I want to say this is a very interesting topic. I'm also trying to recall what was so depressing about the ending of The Life Aquatic?

WARNING: "The Life Aquatic" spoilers below
Owen Wilson's character, Ned, is killed when the Helicopter crashes.

So yea, maybe not depressing, but certainly sad, or at least it hit me in such a way.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)

Marley & Me (2008)

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)

Marley & Me (2008)

The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
Big second to The Purple Rose of Cairo...the ending of that movie is heartbreaking.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.

The truth is in here
Roman Holiday. Romantic comedies with downbeat endings don't come along often, so the fact that Audrey Hepburn's breakout movie of all things has one truly took me by surprise. It's one of those relationships plagued with problems from the start and realistically this is what would happen. But man, when Ann and Joe Bradley have to say goodbye in a context where they have to pretend they don't even know each other... it breaks your heart. Brilliantly delivered emotional tension in that scene.