Unnecessary hysteria about Joker?

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I'm confused as to how a character study can rely too much on the lead performance.
When I said that, I meant that it doesn't have anything else of amazing. If you compare it to Taxi Driver, which is a character study from which Joker stole 60% of its structure and material (and 39% is King of Comedy), you have more stuff amazingly done besides DeNiro perfomance. You have interesting secondary characters, you have an outsanding cinematography and soundtrack and the script is really well written. Joker doesn't have any of that. It's well executed but nothing amazing, except the work of one of the most brilliant actors of this generation (and it's not even his Top 5 perfomances, that's how good he is).

When I said that, I meant that it doesn't have anything else of amazing... If you compare it to Taxi Driver, which is a character study... you have more stuff amazingly done besides DeNiro perfomance. You have interesting secondary characters, you have an outsanding cinematography and soundtrack and the script is really well written. Joker doesn't have any of that.
I disagree.