Silent Film Era Hall of Fame

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Noo thats fine I wouldnt have anything to nominate anyway so I`ll just tag along with you guys from the sidelines
Sounds good! Glad to have you join use any way that you choose.

The Crowd (1928)
Spoiler free and safe to read if you haven't seen the movie yet.

So I decided to kick off my silent film watching with The Crowd. I had never heard of it before. Nor had I heard of the two leads, (James Murray, Eleanor Boardman), but I really liked both of them! It's important to care about the couple in a film that revolves around romance. And I did care about them as people and believed in their love.

Even though we don't hear them speak, John & Mary were more real to me than most romantic couples in sound movies. Love is contagious and their love for each other was infectious, in a very charming way. For the first part of the film where they're dating and falling in love, I don't think I've ever smiled more during a film. And the touching scene at Niagara falls, gave me a lump in my throat, I was touched by that.

The second part of the film takes a different turn and also produced strong emotions in me, mainly because I could empathize with John Sims, which made me melancholy. But even that is a positive for the film, as I rarely feel much of anything when I watch a movie. The Crowd was a very special film and one that I will remember.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The viaduct scene in The Crowd inspired De Sica, don't you think?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Care for some gopher?
Sounds good, Citizen.

Not going to read that^^untili I write something about it later.
I was just going to say the same thing (even if it is "spoiler free" ). I saw this movie awhile ago. And when I say "awhile ago", I mean quite awhile ago. So I want to watch it again to refresh my memory before I comment, too. And I plan on getting this HoF started with that exact movie this weekend.

In the meantime, I am going to be a copycat and copy CR - just because I love his idea so much -, and I am going to start to post links to reviews on the first page after the list of nominations:
http://www.movieforums.com/community...08#post1556508

I was just going to say the same thing (even if it is "spoiler free" ). I saw this movie awhile ago. And when I say "awhile ago", I mean quite awhile ago. So I want to watch it again to refresh my memory before I comment, too. And I plan on getting this HoF started with that exact movie this weekend.

In the meantime, I am going to be a copycat and copy CR - just because I love his idea so much -, and I am going to start to post links to reviews on the first page after the list of nominations:
http://www.movieforums.com/community...08#post1556508
Glad you're doing the links I've really used them a lot in the 10th and Noir Hof myself so that I can go back and read other people's reviews/write ups, without the hassle of looking through upteen pages to find them.

I understand people don't want to read reviews until they've watched the movie (I'm usually that way too)...But I swear without links I would give up on writing much of anything as otherwise I really do think most of what a person writes in a Hof goes unnoticed. Which is sad. So links good!

The Crowd

Ok so this was my nomination despite the fact that I had never seen it before. My experience in silent film has been limited to a couple documentaries, a couple horrors, a little Chaplin and Keaton, and a couple others. I didn't especially want to nominate anything I had already seen, so I sought out an expert referral. I had no idea what to expect, but I think it turned out to be a great nomination. At least I am very happy to have seen it.

There's not much as far as a story goes, and I saw the premise basically as a look at the quest for the American dream, and the harsh realities that can go with it. The characters are very ordinary people, and so are the issues they deal with that result in love and humor, stress and grief, etc. Because they are ordinary, I think the characters and situations are very relatable to the viewer, thus allowing us to identify with and feel their emotions. I was surprised at the emotion I felt watching such a simple story.

I don't know what it's called, but I thought the text used on screen was done very well; timed right and used as often as it needed to be. I also thought the direction, acting, and musical score were all impressive. I loved it and I hope everyone else does to.

-

I will be "ignoring" anything you have to say for now, too, cricket. But your review has also been added to the first page.

One thing that I just want to say is that I hope people realize what good actors there were in the silent era. I know I have said before on here that if you can tell what someone is thinking, or feeling, just by the expression on that person's face, then that person is a good actor. And silent film stars rely on their faces. So they have to be good at what they are doing or else these films would never work.

There was a review of "The Artist" that I read a few years ago. It was after the Oscars. And this man was so upset that Jean Dujardin won for Best Actor. He said that he didn't deserve it because he didn't speak in the film. Therefore, he didn't act. And that comment has bothered me ever since then. As far as I am concerned, it takes a lot more talent to be able to convey what you are thinking/feeling from just facial expressions, or a look in someone's eye, than speaking the words.

I just wanted to say all of that quickly as long as it was in my mind.

I don't know what it's called, but I thought the text used on screen was done very well; timed right and used as often as it needed to be.
People call those by different names. I call them title cards, I'm not sure what they were called back in the day?

I will be "ignoring" anything you have to say for now, too, cricket. But your review has also been added to the first page.

One thing that I just want to say is that I hope people realize what good actors there were in the silent era. I know I have said before on here that if you can tell what someone is thinking, or feeling, just by the expression on that person's face, then that person is a good actor. And silent film stars rely on their faces. So they have to be good at what they are doing or else these films would never work. an speaking the words.
So true!

It's a different style of acting than used in sound films and especially used today. So many people get hung up on watching newer movies only, because older movies often have a different acting style, which was more theatrical, than done today. Silent films especially have more facial acting like you said.

If anybody wants to call out what they are watching next, I will try to watch the same film so we can have a discussion about it.

Just for Cricket...was the old amusement rides at Luna Park Coney Island cool or what!

I never went to Coney Island. I used to go to Pleasure Beach in Blackpool England, Great America in Illinois, Disneyland and Disneyworld, Six Flags New Jersey, and more recently parks around Massachusetts.

Think I will watch Diary of a Lost Girl today or tomorrow, sounds the most appealing of the ones I haven't seen yet.

Think I will watch Diary of a Lost Girl today or tomorrow, sounds the most appealing of the ones I haven't seen yet.
I'd watch that one next so we can discuss it, if someone has a link?

I ordered it on Netflix and it's coming today. However, it looks like it's on YouTube.