CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES

Tools    

I mean, what alternative would there be when it came to returning personal effects? This method ensures that every single item is accounted for, which would explain why you don't see any alternative and thus why this particular method seems so overexposed as to become a cliché.
Come on Iroquois. Where'd you do your time. It's OK. There's no judgment here.

Come on Iroquois. Where'd you do your time. It's OK. There's no judgment here.
Even in a jocular manner, aren’t you judging him by suggesting he’s a felon?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I mean, what alternative would there be when it came to returning personal effects? This method ensures that every single item is accounted for, which would explain why you don't see any alternative and thus why this particular method seems so overexposed as to become a cliché.
Well I thought that prisons were probably tough on the prisoners to an extent and they probably do not care to list every item. I thought they would check the items themselves on a list at whatever time of day, and then when the prisoner was being processed out, they would just take the bag of effects and say here you go, and end scene.

I mean in movies, they portray prisons as being a place where guards do not care if the prisoners are assaulted by one another, so if that's true, I can't imagine carrying about naming each personal effect for them.

I mean in movies, they portray prisons as being a place where guards do not care if the prisoners are assaulted by one another, so if that's true, I can't imagine carrying about naming each personal effect for them.
I would imagine that the prisoner at his incarceration has to sign the list of his personal effects that are being taken from him. It would be a huge hassle if a prisoner being released suddenly makes a fuss about missing items he said he had when he was incarcerated.

In every movie/tv show I’ve seen even the most trivial item (a broken-down old cigarette lighter, e.g.) has been returned to him/her even if the incarceration has lasted for decades.

Even in a jocular manner, aren’t you judging him by suggesting he’s a felon?
Yes, that is the joke, after all.

Yes, that is the joke, after all.
Sorry Corax, but you now have to goto joke jail.

Sorry Corax, but you now have to goto joke jail.
Excellent! When I get out I will let you know if they recite my list of belongings back to me when they hand back my stuff.

I would imagine that the prisoner at his incarceration has to sign the list of his personal effects that are being taken from him. It would be a huge hassle if a prisoner being released suddenly makes a fuss about missing items he said he had when he was incarcerated.

In every movie/tv show I’ve seen even the most trivial item (a broken-down old cigarette lighter, e.g.) has been returned to him/her even if the incarceration has lasted for decades.
In an amicable way, it should be so. No one has the right to decide for a person whether he should throw out a box of matches or a broken lighter. Personal things are therefore called personal.

Oh okay, I guess if they say every object one at a time, then it makes sense and is not a movie cliche then. Thanks .

One movie cliche I find annoying is how in some movies, their has to be a character who can only talk in crazy hysterics and appear crazy so the protagonist cannot understand what he is talking about, instead of just explaining things clearly. The Omen has a character like that.

Stupid trope is when someone draws a map in the sand. Syriana has Matt Damon doing this. He outlines an entire course of action in 6 square inches of sand.

One cliche I find annoying is that in some movies such as For Your Eyes Only, Lethal Weapon, Criminal Law, or Bad Boys, the hero has a gun on the villain and is going to take them in, but the villain decides to pull out a gun or weapon and move to attack, to forcing the hero to shoot them to death. As if the writers felt like being arrested wasn't enough, to end the story, and that the villain must take the 'suicide by cop' way out.

One cliche I find annoying is that in some movies such as For Your Eyes Only, Lethal Weapon, Criminal Law, or Bad Boys, the hero has a gun on the villain and is going to take them in, but the villain decides to pull out a gun or weapon and move to attack, to forcing the hero to shoot them to death. As if the writers felt like being arrested wasn't enough, to end the story, and that the villain must take the 'suicide by cop' way out.

This is because we really want the villain to die, but the hero can't kill in cold blood and be a hero. The hero has to win the "hero's way" (capturing alive), establishing that he can win by playing by the rules, and only killing when the villain leaves the hero no other choice.

The great thing about The French Connection is that Gene Hackman's Popeye Doyle shoots that guy in back.

Welcome to the human race...
I think ironpony has mentioned that a few times now, almost to the point of him doing so becoming its own cliché.

I think ironpony has mentioned that a few times now, almost to the point of him doing so becoming its own cliché.

This sounds like the premise for an interesting thread. "Current MoFo Poster Cliches."

EX:
Corax: The cliche long-winded pedantic post which takes a contrary position for the sake of taking a contrary position.

Oh sorry if I brought it up more than once. I forgot if I brought up in here before. I just saw it in another movie recently and that made me think of it.

I don't mind the hero killing the villain in self defense, I just don't like how in some movies, like the one I mentioned, the hero goes on a moralistic speach spiel about how it's wrong to kill unless in self defense, or someone goes on that preachy speach to the hero, and then after the hero just ends up killing in self defens anyway. Either go with one or the other, but to go on a preachy speech, and then take it back just feels like the filmmaker wanted to have their cake and eat it too, or so I thought.

The mobile phone thing is tough, cause now anyone can call 911 wherever they are nowadays. How are writers suppose to work around that, unfortunately...
I called the British equivalent of 911 fairly recently and yes, I know we’re in a pandemic, but despite saying a bunch of very concerning **** (someone else recorded me call so I then played it back) and being largely unable to breathe, I was told to call back if “it gets worse”. Worse how? It’s like that age-old and inappropriate sardonic joke about potential victims of domestic violence concerned for their safety being told to come back “once he kills you”. I called 999 12 times in total that night (I actually kept the screenshot) and only after that, 4 hours later, did they turn up. I live in London, not on some quaint farm.

In addition (and this is why I do often wonder about psychopathy), I was told I sounded “too calm and reasonable to be in immediate need of help”.

So the point is, as a victim from any horror film in an undesirable situation, you’ll spend more time on hold and saying the same **** to 5 different people than getting help.

Then your battery will die (what with being on the phone for 50+ minutes) and so will you. Appreciate the latter is in itself a cliche, but honestly, recent experiences have suggested to me that this ain’t at all unrealistic.

I called the British equivalent of 911 fairly recently and yes, I know we’re in a pandemic, but despite saying a bunch of very concerning **** (someone else recorded me call so I then played it back) and being largely unable to breathe, I was told to call back if “it gets worse”. Worse how? It’s like that age-old and inappropriate sardonic joke about potential victims of domestic violence concerned for their safety being told to come back “once he kills you”. I called 999 12 times in total that night (I actually kept the screenshot) and only after that, 4 hours later, did they turn up. I live in London, not on some quaint farm.

In addition (and this is why I do often wonder about psychopathy), I was told I sounded “too calm and reasonable to be in immediate need of help”.
To me, this is about women not being believed. We overcome our fears & report something & then have to convince someone we need help. #metoo

To me, this is about women not being believed. We overcome our fears & report something & then have to convince someone we need help. #metoo
Yes, I see your point. Especially as after the 12th call they asked to speak to “someone else in the house” and it was a guy, and he wasn’t really fit to speak, shall we say, but, well…

It was after speaking to him that they turned up.

I don’t think it’s just that, though. It’s the general idiocy of the whole 999 arrangement. And in the context of a horror film, where it’s usually women making such calls, I almost wish they would use such cases and have someone call 999 and be met with a similar response.

The Invisible Man, the new one, kind of tried that. But I think it’s not just about gender, it’s about the idea of a priority scale in emergency calls which cannot possibly be functional. People do get sepsis/flesh eating bacteria from a paper cut, so you just can’t know.

Yes, I see your point. Especially as after the 12th call they asked to speak to “someone else in the house” and it was a guy, and he wasn’t really fit to speak, shall we say, but, well…

It was after speaking to him that they turned up.

I don’t think it’s just that, though. It’s the general idiocy of the whole 999 arrangement. And in the context of a horror film, where it’s usually women making such calls, I almost wish they would use such cases and have someone call 999 and be met with a similar response.

The Invisible Man, the new one, kind of tried that. But I think it’s not just about gender, it’s about the idea of a priority scale in emergency calls which cannot possibly be functional. People do get sepsis/flesh eating bacteria from a paper cut, so you just can’t know.
Not that it’s any comfort, but it’s the same here. Not going into details, but I tried to report something to 911 & was strongly encouraged by the female dispatcher not to make a thing of something that she says happens all the time. I did make a thing of it & got some help, but, phew, way to get oneself understood.

This is one of my favourite threads here. Need to bookmark.

I have an ongoing issue with the “protagonist/character not being believed” trope. Protagonists seem to need to prove they are “not crazy” far too often. Sorry if I’ve mentioned it before - can’t remember. I think cases where one wouldn’t be taken seriously are far and between. In Zodiac it is quite understandable, and it’s historically accurate in that sense, if I remember correctly. But I find the idea so incredibly overdone and exhausting. It is everywhere. I am a huge cynic but whenever I see crises irl, complaints are taken seriously, even if this acknowledgement is grudging. Yes, I know film is not “real life”, but it is a particularly irritating. A bit like genetic complaints about “political corruption”, politicians being lazy and incompetent and such.