The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm reading sweet science as a boxing film. I'm gonna guess Raging Bull.
Indeed. I actually almost didn't include that bit, because to anyone who's heard the term (or possibly just Googles it), it's a dead giveaway.

Amadeus is notable here because, as you may have noticed, it's in the top half of the list but it was only on six ballots. Films as low as 84th were on more, so it's obviously ranked very highly on the ballots it was on (it was first on two). There's only one more film the rest of the countdown on so few, and you'll see it tomorrow.

This list continues to surprise. No way I put Amadeus this high, I don't mind seeing it show up though. Good film. I love Raging Bull. Haven't seen it in a fairly long time. When I watch it's part of my "no wait this is my favorite Scorsese" rotation.

Watched Enter The Dragon last night to knock one of the 4 I haven't seen off the list. Not really for me but not sorry I watched it. Wouldn't be anywhere a 100 list for me.

Both placed on the MoFo '80s List. Amadeus was #24 and Raging Bull #7.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I love Raging Bull. Haven't seen it in a fairly long time. When I watch it's part of my "no wait this is my favorite Scorsese" rotation.
I know exactly what you mean. One scene is mostly enough to make me doubt myself again (Goodfellas, Taxi Driver or Raging Bull?).

Two enjoyable films that I saw in the theater. Neither would be in my top one hundred.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

40/52 seen
2/26 on clues (I'm done here, think point has been made...)
6/25 off my list

#5 City of God (21 pts - #61)
#25 Forrest Gump (1 pt - #65)
#1 Pan's Labyrinth (25 pts - #68)
#12 Young Frankenstein (14 pts - #77)
#10 American Beauty (16 pts - #79)
#22 Harold & Maude (4 pts - #90)

Amadeus is sadly another that's never really appealed much to me so I've never seen it.

I remember liking Raging Bull a lot, a little surprised to see it make quite such a leap but then I've not seen it for many years so it's more likely a case of me simply needing to rewatch it to fully re-appreciate its greatness.

Seen: 42/52 (Own: 18/52)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
48. Todo sobre mi madre (1999)
47. Aliens (1986)

I'm not saying recency bias doesn't exist at all but don't you think there is a bias towards certain classics as well?
Absolutely. Certain films get canonized rightly or wrongly. My list didn’t contain Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Psycho, The Birds, or Its a Wonderful Life, all overrated to varying degrees for my money.

Amadeus is a very good film that I've only seen once.

Raging Bull is a great film that I've seen two or three times but the last time was absolutely ages ago. Need to rectify that.

Welcome to the human race...
Definitely two classics. I've only seen Amadeus the once and gave it a
in a review on here, but that's definitely liable to jump if/when I get around to revisiting it. The kind of sumptuous epic that you're actually glad to see sweep up as many Oscars as it does. Raging Bull is a
classic in my book and made my last top 100, though I did not vote for it.

I liked "The Big Lebowski" and "Rushmore" more..
I prefer The Big Lebowski, Millers Crossing, and Raising Arizona. I generally like a bit
more humor in my Coen brothers films.

You have a nice Top 10 list! I especially love "Ikiru" and "Persona", and even the movies I don't love, were made by directors that made some of my favorite movies.
Glad you liked my list! I just checked out yours and though there isn’t overlap, I like or love all the films I’ve seen (especially Nashville, Network, and The Battle of Algiers!) I’ve never seen either Harry & Tonto or They Shoot Horses though so they are going on my list to watch! I wonder if they will come up here

I had to watch Raging Bull for a Hall of Fame in 2019 and... well... let's just say that I wasn't too fond of it. Also that damn prosthetic nose distracted the **** out of me.

I haven't seen Amadeus. Can't say I really have any desire to, either.

My Ballot:
5. Her (#94)
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#92)
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

The Coen Bros. were a big influence for me when I was crossing over into more mature films, but I'm not really sure if I'd love any of their movies revisiting them now

I have not seen either of those movies. since Raging Bull number 87 on the 2010 list and now jumps to number 49, this might be a game changer for this list, watch other movies will make it back

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Amadeus is a good film. I’ve only seen it once decades ago. It never struck me as a great film though I remain grateful it called so much attention to the incomparable F. Murray Abraham.

Raging Bull is a masterpiece. It made my list.
I only had room for one Scorsese film and I struggled between it and a film I find more enjoyable, Goodfellas. At the end of the day, as hard as it can be to watch, it had to be Raging Bull. Amazing performances from Pesci and DeNiro and a brutal, truthful, beautiful story that I think Scorsese has never equaled, as great as his other films are. I suspect this won’t be the last film of his on the list.

Amadeus is notable here because, as you may have noticed, it's in the top half of the list but it was only on six ballots. Films as low as 84th were on more, so it's obviously ranked very highly on the ballots it was on (it was first on two). There's only one more film the rest of the countdown on so few, and you'll see it tomorrow.
Very interesting! I’d love to see all the lists when this is over. Do you typically put them out?