Name The musician/singer

Tools    

[quote=Citizen Rules;1973104]That's the only guess I have I'm not much into music. At least I tried![/QUOTE.

You sure did CR, but let me try this from a different media, and from an era you may well know.

A movie about his life ( as much fiction as fact lol) was named after his most famous song, and starred Al Jolson, Don Ameche and Andrea Leeds . This song was also sung in many movies such as Mr. Deeds Goes To Town and Babes on Broadway. Also, was featured in a classic Honeymooners episode
The $ 99,000 Question, where Norton warms up by playing this song on the piano. Ralph guesses every song on the game show but this one -hope one of you mofos fares better.

...A movie about his life ( as much fiction as fact lol) was named after his most famous song, and starred Al Jolson, Don Ameche and Andrea Leeds...
I probably seen it, I've seen a lot of the old classic movies about song writers and band leaders. I'll think about it, maybe it will come to me.

That's Stephen Foster, who wrote "My Old Kentucky Home", "Jeannie With the Light Brown Hair", "Oh! Susanna", and dozens of others.

The film reference is probably Swanee River (1939)

I hadn't realized that he was considered the father of American music. IMO that should be amended to father of American popular music.

Glad to see you back on this thread @GulfportDoc. And not just b/c I suspected you would be the only one to know who Stephen Foster was.
Right on all counts- the movie Swanee, and that he was considered America's first pop musician/songwriter. Interestingly, his songs were so authentic sounding that they were thought to be traditional folk songs.
And I believe his music was referenced in the works of one of your admired musicians, Charles Ives.

He, above, I believe is the honey voiced Nat King Cole.

Glad to see you back on this thread @GulfportDoc. And not just b/c I suspected you would be the only one to know who Stephen Foster was.
Right on all counts- the movie Swanee, and that he was considered America's first pop musician/songwriter. Interestingly, his songs were so authentic sounding that they were thought to be traditional folk songs.
And I believe his music was referenced in the works of one of your admired musicians, Charles Ives.

He, above, I believe is the honey voiced Nat King Cole.
Nat King Cole it is, LL. One of the greats. Whip one upon us....

I'll follow up on this theme. @GulfportDoc was telling us who is his all-time favorite pop singer.

Not only is this man one of my favorite singers of all, he is the best live performer I have ever had the good fortune to see in person.

Looks like a very young Tony Bennett

You are absolutely correct. What a voice, so much warmth and feeling. And only does he do the best live performance I've ever seen; but he's quite an accomplished artist too.

When Tony sings, it is as if he's chosen you- and you alone- out of a crowd of hundreds (or thousands) to look into your eyes and sing to.

Funny thing is, everyone else in the audience feels exactly the same way.

Your turn Gideon.

Eydie Gorme' ?

Lenslady beat me to the punch!

lol. That's okay CR. Would you like to take a turn ?

lol. That's okay CR. Would you like to take a turn ?
You're very kind, Lenslady...but you won fair a square. Besides I have to leave for the day. But maybe you'll post my favorite singer? Who knows it could happen. Not sure if he's been on this thread or not? He was very well known so I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

I don't know or remember who that may be @Citizen Rules - but I AM interested - maybe give us a hint when you have time in the future.

Meanwhile, here's someone I think @Gideon58 may know:

No clue

That's not Jackie Wilson, is it?

No.not Jackie Wilson, but also a soul singer, perhaps the greatest of his time. If Jackie was known as Mr. Excitement, then this man was called Mr. Pitiful - though he was anything but.
Here's another pic: