MoFo Fantasy Football 2018 - The Regular Season

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll definitely still do baseball (if I'm still allowed) but I this is my last season in the football one. Just hard for me to stay focused in this league when I'm admittedly more focused in on my 2 money leagues. Plus I always forget about these drafts for whatever reason (which yes, is my fault, but just saying) so I put myself in a huge hole that's impossible to climb out of year in year out

Looking to move a receiver for an RB.
I'm shocked that you've managed to get to 6-1 with the RBs on your roster. Even more so when you take into consideration that you were without Wentz/Alshon early in the season. Although I guess having had the second fewest points scored against you certainly helps.

Lady Luck has not been kind to me this season. I think I have the most talented roster I've had in our league; I finally drafted well instead of having to build my team through waivers; I've eclipsed 100 points every week; yet I'm sitting at 3-4 right now after that SOB Odell caught a TD at the very end of the game last night. Frustrating. I've had even worse luck in the league I do with my friends every year, starting 0-6 this season. () Points-wise, I'm in the middle of pack, but before this past weekend, the FEWEST points anyone had scored against me was 122, and the scoring settings are the same as in our Movie Forums league (except passing TDs = 4 points). Ridiculous. I've started choosing my opponents' players in daily fantasy just because I know they're bound to go off.

I'm shocked that you've managed to get to 6-1 with the RBs on your roster. Even more so when you take into consideration that you were without Wentz/Alshon early in the season. Although I guess having had the second fewest points scored against you certainly helps.
Yeah, I don't deserve to be 6-1. Maybe 4-3 or something. The points against are definitely part of it, though a chunk of that was "wasted," because the three lowest scores I faced all came in weeks where I had 30-40 point margins anyway. Basically, I've just put up solid but unspectacular totals (under 107 points just once) and only ran into an opponent having a huge week way back in week 1.

The RB thing is definitely rough, though half the teams in the league are weak there. Kind of amazing how, over the last couple of years, if you have a stud RB you're basically in the playoffs. A few years ago I think we all figured there'd be 2-3 valuable backs per team and the position might even become so stratified that it'd make sense to try "Running Backs" on a per-team basis, like Defenses (still think this might be a cool idea at some point). Instead, that happened with most teams, but the advantage for the owners that have the rare elite workhorse back is massive. But there are only a few of them, so a couple of weak-backed teams are going to sneak in.

Anyway, I figured not going 1-2 or 0-3 without the two Eagles was all I needed to have a shot, and somehow I went 2-1. I also think that the top TE tier is kind of similar to that to RB tier I just described, and that whoever owns Kelce or Ertz in a given league is basically offsetting one of those sketchy RB slots by themselves.

Lady Luck has not been kind to me this season. I think I have the most talented roster I've had in our league; I finally drafted well instead of having to build my team through waivers; I've eclipsed 100 points every week; yet I'm sitting at 3-4 right now after that SOB Odell caught a TD at the very end of the game last night. Frustrating. I've had even worse luck in the league I do with my friends every year, starting 0-6 this season. () Points-wise, I'm in the middle of pack, but before this past weekend, the FEWEST points anyone had scored against me was 122, and the scoring settings are exactly the same as in our Movie Forums league. Ridiculous. I've started choosing my opponents' players in daily fantasy just because I know they're bound to go off.
Yeah, it's not the fairest game in the world, for sure. One of the reasons I like Rotisserie in baseball as opposed to H2H.

Alas, I could have had one of those elite backs, but after the tippy top guys I decided I'd rather go with Brown in half-PPR. Time will tell if that was the right choice. Might not matter if I just end up swapping him for one of them anyway. Would certainly make sense given how well Sanders and Jeffrey are doing.

todd gurley is auto win

Has been so far, yeah, if you have even a half-decent lineup around him. Might be like that year where everyone who had Devonta Freeman won, though that was arguably bigger because he went so much later in drafts.

Nabbing Gurley at #23 last season was one of my proudest FF moments, simply because most of the time you sorta stumble into a breakout year like that, because you're just trying to maximize the likelihood of it happening without a clear idea of which guy it might be, but in that particular instance I had him the year before, thought about his situation a lot, and went after him very deliberately, and it worked out even better than I'd hoped.

I got an F this week. Thanks. I had no idea my team wasn't any good last week.

Well, that luck we talked about boomeranged pretty quick. This week looked like an easy win with Adam trotting out like three borderline waiver guys, but they've substantially overachieved and Watson had maybe the game of his life on Thursday.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well, that luck we talked about boomeranged pretty quick. This week looked like an easy win with Adam trotting out like three borderline waiver guys, but they've substantially overachieved and Watson had maybe the game of his life on Thursday.
He topped over 50 fantasy points at least once last year, maybe twice. Still yeah a huge game

Ah yes, I forgot he had a few crazy ones.

Anyway, after eight weeks, the top teams are 6-2 and the ones in last are 2-6. Just four games is a pretty crazily small spread from first to last! Really messy, dog pile of a year so far.

Right? That's why I got salty when Yahoo is handing out stupid "grades" after I won a few weeks back. There is one thing about fantasy that mirrors real football and that's win total. That, is the only number that matters. Most years it takes 8 or 9 wins just to get in to the playoffs. To me it makes no difference how you get to 8 or 9 wins. So, handing out negative reviews of a win just seems asinine to me. It's all about the win total Yahoo. Or do you guys even know how to play fantasy?

I guess it makes more sense if you see them as grading your performance as a manager, as distinct from your results, since there's no skill involved in happening to play an opponent with a high or low total in a given week.

The points do come into play a lot in tiebreakers, too. Usually around the postseason cutoff, but almost always with seeding, too.

I think the idea of grading at all is what's asinine, since the points themselves are the grade. Oooo, I got an A. No kidding, I scored 145 points. Oooo, I got an F? After scoring 60? Youdontsay. I guess that's a bad total, then.

The win cutoff thing is bang-on, BTW. Since we switched to six playoff teams, no 8-win team has ever missed the playoffs. A few times it was possible based on tiebreakers, but it hasn't happened yet.

7 wins is sketchy. We also had exactly one 6-7 playoff team (in 2012).

Crimey, D. Thomas goes to Houston. As a Sanders owner, I'm pretty happy with that, though maybe he follows him out the door in the next couple of hours.

Way more high-profile trades this season than, like, the last decade combined, yeah?

I guess it makes more sense if you see them as grading your performance as a manager, as distinct from your results, since there's no skill involved in happening to play an opponent with a high or low total in a given week.

The points do come into play a lot in tiebreakers, too. Usually around the postseason cutoff, but almost always with seeding, too.

I think the idea of grading at all is what's asinine, since the points themselves are the grade. Oooo, I got an A. No kidding, I scored 145 points. Oooo, I got an F? After scoring 60? Youdontsay. I guess that's a bad total, then.

Maybe I'm just getting sensitive in my older age. All the negativity in the US today, it just feels unnecessary to me that they have to take the time to be negative in a fantasy football article. But that's the crux of this quandary we seem to find ourselves in today. I'd rather be negative and sh*tty to a complete stranger online than just simply saying something constructive or maybe even say something positive. Gah! No way.

Crimey, D. Thomas goes to Houston. As a Sanders owner, I'm pretty happy with that, though maybe he follows him out the door in the next couple of hours.

Way more high-profile trades this season than, like, the last decade combined, yeah?

Pretty sure there's been a few decades where the NFL didn't even have a trade during the season. Crazy.

Oh, the grading is super stupid, don't get me wrong. You're totally right about that. I don't mind the emphasis on points rather than outcome, but that just makes the grade (ahem) pointless, since we already know what scores are good or bad and it's not like we can't convert a number into a letter into our head. So either they're giving us a grade that tells us nothing, or they're grading us based partially on something we can't even control. Dumb either way.

LOL I've had three different backs benched while scoring 20+ points this year.

IF I EVER FIGURE OUT HOW TO PLAY RUNNING BACK ROULETTE YOU'RE ALL IN BIG TROUBLE