Hardest working filmmaker?

Tools    

Who are some of the hardest working filmmakers out there? The ones who got a lot of movies going (that they'll actually finish), who write a lot etc.. Who are they?

Danny boyle!

Being that he's the age he is and the fact that he at least attempts to produce a film a year. I would say Woody Allen.

I would deduce by the types of films he decides to make that they aren't the most grueling of shoots. But still at 74 it's still impressive. Even if for the most part they haven't been very good recently.

Scorsese is another name you could of course put into the hat.

Steven Soderbergh

The Oscar winner has had four projects released in the past year alone: CHE Part I: The Argentine, CHE Part II: Guerrilla, The Girlfriend Experience and The Informant!. That makes thirteen features this decade, and a segment in the anthology Eros (2004). Plus he directed all ten episodes of his HBO series "K Street" (2003). His next, the long-awaited still untitled documentary on Spalding Gray, is apparently in the finishing stages. He's also his own cinematographer (under the pseudonym Peter Andrews) and often his own editor (under the pseudonym Mary Ann Bernard). Occasionally he takes credit as screenwriter, too. He's also a producer, for his own films as well as those of other filmmakers (Michael Clayton, Syriana, A Scanner Darkly, I'm Not There, Good Night and Good Luck, etc.).

Busy bee, that one.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
All good choices. I would have nominated Fassbinder posthumously, but Miike seems to be somehow even more prolific.

Ridley Scott.
He works non stop.

Something like 1500 commercials -- and from there he went on to movies.

Currently he has something like thirty projects in development (as producer or director). THIRTY! and they are all big projects, multi million dollar big operations.

I think he takes the prize.

“science fiction today seems to be a competition in CGI” - Ridley Scott
Prequel to Alien on the horizon.

Banned from Hollywood.
still alive: Woody Allen (a film a year nowdays) and Ridley Scott (maybe not a film a year, but a masterpiece every 2 )

dead: Ingmar Bergman and Akira Kurosawa

Let me name two legendary film-makers of the world whose labor for the film-making has been proverbial. There are other great film-makers, I should state.

Ingmar Bergman
He has directed sixty-two films and for most of the films he has been the script-writer and at times editor too. He has done such great job parallel to tendering services as a director of more than 175 plays.
The Devil's Wanton/Prison (1949) to Saraband (2003) has been a long journey no doubt.
Federico Fellini
His journey from Variety Lights (Luci del varietà) to La voce della luna is really colorful and eventful. He has his own vision of society. Desire, fantasy, dreams and memory have been artistically blended in his films and made them unique and special suggesting what enormous labor all these required.

I'd have to go with Takashi Miike. For the amount of movies he puts out he's pretty consistent at making good films while covering different genres.

Steven Soderbergh

The Oscar winner has had four projects released in the past year alone: CHE Part I: The Argentine, CHE Part II: Guerrilla, The Girlfriend Experience and The Informant!. That makes thirteen features this decade, and a segment in the anthology Eros (2004). Plus he directed all ten episodes of his HBO series "K Street" (2003). His next, the long-awaited still untitled documentary on Spalding Gray, is apparently in the finishing stages. He's also his own cinematographer (under the pseudonym Peter Andrews) and often his own editor (under the pseudonym Mary Ann Bernard). Occasionally he takes credit as screenwriter, too. He's also a producer, for his own films as well as those of other filmmakers (Michael Clayton, Syriana, A Scanner Darkly, I'm Not There, Good Night and Good Luck, etc.).

Busy bee, that one.

Seconded.