Watchmen

Tools    

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
My palms seem to sweat whenever I think of this movie. And yes, Rorschach had better be as badass as he is in the comic.

My hope (and a likely one based on the preview and clips I've seen) is that our beloved director (yes I loved 300) will take a Frank Miller/Robert Rodriguez approach and form the film as a translation from comic to screen as opposed to an adaptation (yes, the difference is big).

Welcome to the human race...
My hope (and a likely one based on the preview and clips I've seen) is that our beloved director (yes I loved 300) will take a Frank Miller/Robert Rodriguez approach and form the film as a translation from comic to screen as opposed to an adaptation (yes, the difference is big).
Not quite sure what you mean by translation - although I'm thinking of the whole "using the comic like a storyboard" aspect that Sin City and 300 used. That certainly seems to be the case, but I'd have to say they'd cut a lot of it out to fit it into a 3-hour maximum running time.

Cool then. Hopefully dialogue won't be changed too much, and the character design is largely the same (although purists may argue about the Ozymandias/Nite Owl II/Silk Spectre II costumes)

Yeah, Silk Spectre II looks virtually the same as the book (the only difference I can think of is she wears these long leather boots instead of ordinary heels in the book)

Ozymandias and Nite Owl, however, look fairly out of character compared to the book. Ozymandias's costume makes him look too dark, Nite Owl's makes him look too cool.

Agree on the Nite Owl point, not too sure about Ozymandias... that's a difference I can tolerate and perhaps even appreciate. After all, Watchmen is a dark, dark tale.

True, I don't see it as much of a problem. The thing is it gives him more of a Batman feel when in the book he has a Superman feel, which I feel is much more fitting considering the plot.

Ozymandias and Nite Owl, however, look fairly out of character compared to the book. Ozymandias's costume makes him look too dark, Nite Owl's makes him look too cool.
Perhaps the costume would work better if the actor playing Ozymandias had a bigger neck or one closer to Veidt as depicted on the page. I can understand, at least, the desire to make Veidt not as "bright" on screen as on the page. Night Owl's outfit reminds me of Gigan of Godzilla fame.

Another intersting factor will be how the characters move on screen. For instance, Rorschach seems mostly rigid on the page, and when he moves, he seems more upright and stiff; there is not much evidence of him being, for example, fluid and flexible in his movements. It will be important to see how he is depicted while in motion for anyone looking at how minor contrasts lead to greater changes in the story, which are inevitable.

Imagining the action between the comic panels will also play an important role in telling the story. Viewers see a little more "dynamic drama" in the trailer, for instance, with what looks like the Comedian punching through a wall while his attacker avoids the blow--not something apparant from the comic. The page tells readers that the Comedian takes a beating but gives no indication that he had any fight in him. How this story is interpreted for film will engage fans, old and new, differently. The costumes play an important part.

On a totally unrelated note... they got the *torching Koreans* scene down perfectly, as far as I can tell
Er, if you're thinking of the same scene I'm thinking of (and most likely you are) then those people aren't Korean, they're Vietnamese. Parts of Watchmen flash back to the Vietnam War. Koreans are practically not mentioned at all in the story.

It’s ****ing Astounding
Filmmaker and comics fan Kevin Smith has previewed the Watchmen movie and is raving about it

Say what you want about Kevin Smith. Tear him a new ass for making Jersey Girl; break his balls for screwing with Daredevil — that’s fine. But whether you love or hate him, one thing is for sure — he knows comics.

Like Watchmen director Zack Snyder, Smith is a self-proclaimed fanboy. And maybe it’s because they recently did a panel together at this year’s Comic Con, or because they both have an unhealthy obsession with Star Wars (who doesn’t?) — either way Snyder invited Smith to preview his early Watchmen cut, and apparently, he liked what he saw:

I saw “Watchmen.” It’s ****ing astounding. The Non-Disclosure Agreement I signed prevents me from saying much, but I can spout the following with complete joygasmic enthusiasm: Snyder and Co. have pulled it off.

I just peed a little. And just when you think Smith’s comments couldn’t get any better, he went on to describe how close Snyder’s film is to the actual comic series:

Remember that feeling of watching “Sin City” on the big screen and being blown away by what a faithful translation of the source material it was, in terms of both content and visuals? Triple that, and you’ll come close to watching “Watchmen.” Even Alan Moore might be surprised at how close the movie is to the book. March can’t come soon enough.

Okay, now I’ve really wet myself. Now I can’t speak for the rest of my Watchmen brethren, but Smith’s comments have made me feel more relaxed on some of the big question marks that have been bothering me lately (Goode’s German accent; the “altered” ending). I for one am happy Silent Bob didn’t stay mum about this news.
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this, but its refreshing.

Er, if you're thinking of the same scene I'm thinking of (and most likely you are) then those people aren't Korean, they're Vietnamese. Parts of Watchmen flash back to the Vietnam War. Koreans are practically not mentioned at all in the story.
Yeah that's what I meant man. I was tired yesterday

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Editing is done.

Still needs more post production work.

Suspect's Reviews

You know, this is one of the first previews I've been addicted to in awhile.

I really think that The Beginning is the End is the Beginning is about the best song they could have picked for the teaser.

Not sure if Kevin Smith liking it is a good sign or not ...

Also , why is this coming out in march - when it's basically done already ?
Kevin Smith is a comic book geek -- so I'd say thats a pretty good indication that he has read Watchmen and knows what constitutes a good graphic novel adaptation.

Hmmm, well I for one didn't think much of 300, but Zachery does have an eye for visionary worlds, i'll give him that. I also know NOTHING of the comic book and i'm going to keep it that way.

I first saw the trailer before the IMAX presentation of The Dark Knight. I think it's fair to call it the most exciting trailer since The Dark Knight. I'm not sure if it was just down to the IMAX screen or not, but I was blown away and I will definitely be seeing it.