Lasting impressions

→ in
Tools    

You've got some unusual suggestions here, MonnoM; some off-the-beaten-track films that otherwise I wouldn't have heard about. Will definitely check out Kenny and "Dead Man's". I'm not into grotesque, but will investigate the others. Cheers!

~Doc

Relaxer (2018)

Y2K is around the corner and Abbie must complete the challenge of beating level 256 of Pac-man before the New Year. All without leaving the confines of his couch. For a film that takes place entirely in one room it sure feels like a lot is going on. I like the fact that it doesn't just attempt to be nostalgic but actually feels like a film that would be made in the 90's. Even down to the dialogue, which had me cracking up a few times. Good stuff.

Nightmare Cinema (2018)

An anthology horror film with mostly stinkers. But it was worth sticking around for that one gem. This Way to Egress needs to be a feature film, period.

Luz (2018)

I'm not sure where to begin. Not the greatest film I've ever seen, but it has so much going for it. I'd say it's a gem for sure. It did have its flaws. One being that the story needed to be fleshed out more. It runs at 1 hr 10 min, which compared to most movies this is practically a short film. I think more could've been explored, to be honest. Not sure if maybe they were limited in some way and couldn't delve deeper, but all I know is that I wanted to see more. Which I guess is a compliment. So yeah, the movie feels a little rushed. Now for the good...I'll start by saying the cinematography is insane! It's truly a beauty to witness. What they achieved in its minimalism is astounding. Also, great cast and superb soundtrack. But most of all I love how it looks like it came straight out of the 80's. I think this is the director's feature debut, in which case kudos. I'll be keeping an eye out.

Luz (2018)

I'm not sure where to begin. Not the greatest film I've ever seen, but it has so much going for it. I'd say it's a gem for sure. It did have its flaws. One being that the story needed to be fleshed out more. It runs at 1 hr 10 min, which compared to most movies this is practically a short film. I think more could've been explored, to be honest. Not sure if maybe they were limited in some way and couldn't delve deeper, but all I know is that I wanted to see more. Which I guess is a compliment. So yeah, the movie feels a little rushed. Now for the good...I'll start by saying the cinematography is insane! It's truly a beauty to witness. What they achieved in its minimalism is astounding. Also, great cast and superb soundtrack. But most of all I love how it looks like it came straight out of the 80's. I think this is the director's feature debut, in which case kudos. I'll be keeping an eye out.

I just watched this. I don't think I fully 'got' it, but I liked it; probably gets better with rewatches. Pacing, music, acting is better than it has a right to be for what looks to be such a small production. One gripe is the little 'edgy' repeated mantra, but maybe the subtitles made it seem worse than it was.

I just watched this. I don't think I fully 'got' it, but I liked it; probably gets better with rewatches. Pacing, music, acting is better than it has a right to be for what looks to be such a small production. One gripe is the little 'edgy' repeated mantra, but maybe the subtitles made it seem worse than it was.
Holy smokes, I was just about to edit that post and say it gets so much better with rewatches (I watched it 3 more times). Everything was pretty much explained in the bar scene. Once you've seen the rest and go and rewatch that scene it makes so much more sense. Still, would've been great with more of a backstory. As for the prayer, I'm just gonna assume it's a translation issue.

Speaking of music, I'm still looking for that song on the radio.

Holy smokes, I was just about to edit that post and say it gets so much better with rewatches (I watched it 3 more times). Everything was pretty much explained in the bar scene. Once you've seen the rest and go and rewatch that scene it makes so much more sense. Still, would've been great with more of a backstory. As for the prayer, I'm just gonna assume it's a translation issue.

Speaking of music, I'm still looking for that song on the radio.
More backstory might've been nice, but I like movies that take a David Lynch philosophy too. This was probably better for it in the long run.

I thought that was a 'you' song. Post it if you find it.

More backstory might've been nice, but I like movies that take a David Lynch philosophy too. This was probably better for it in the long run.

I thought that was a 'you' song. Post it if you find it.
Scratch that "everything is explained at the bar scene" crap, I still have too many questions. I mean, it did help a lot. It answered maybe a couple of key questions, ha. I see what you mean, though. Ultimately the ambiguity mostly worked in its favor. One thing's for sure, the more I watch it the more it grows on me.

Haha, yeah, the second it came on I paused that sucker and went on a hunt. If only I knew a decent amount of Spanish it would make it a lot easier...

Color Out of Space (2019)

Could've been better. It wasn't a huge disappointment since I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but it did leave me feeling mostly underwhelmed. I'll say this, the ending was kind of worth sticking it out, though. Which I only really managed to do thanks to Cage. That's probably one of his best performances in a while. When he channeled his Vampire's Kiss character I knew I was in for a treat and he did not disappoint. The body horror was a nice bonus.

Conclusion: Not really worth the 2 hours.

Color Out of Space (2019)

Aww. I know my Richard Stanley fandom probably caused me to overrate it, but I did think it was quite entertaining. If anything, I wish it was a little more dreamlike & slow-paced when the color was introduced.

WARNING: "COOS" spoilers below
And that poor kid was pretty much ignored in favor of the wife post-fusion.

The Dunwich Horror is supposed to be the next adaption in the series. I’m looking very forward to an expanded setting with a higher budget.

Aww. I know my Richard Stanley fandom probably caused me to overrate it, but I did think it was quite entertaining. If anything, I wish it was a little more dreamlike & slow-paced when the color was introduced.

WARNING: "COOS" spoilers below
And that poor kid was pretty much ignored in favor of the wife post-fusion.

The Dunwich Horror is supposed to be the next adaption in the series. I’m looking very forward to an expanded setting with a higher budget.
There were definitely some entertaining aspects. Cage was the bread and butter of the movie for sure. He's one of very few actors that have this charming quirk about them that always manages to steal the show. Angry Cage is best Cage. Also, I completely agree on wanting more dreamlike scenes. I really liked those foggy, hazy...dreamlike parts of the film. Definitely more, please.

Yeah, the whole time I was thinking
WARNING: spoilers below
doesn't anyone care the kid's practically suffocating on the couch?

I don't recall hearing about the Dunwich Horror. Read this little tidbit on slashfilm "The Dunwich Horror “tells the story of Wilbur Whateley, the son of a deformed albino mother and an unknown father (alluded to in passing by the mad Old Whateley as “Yog-Sothoth”), and the strange events surrounding his birth and unprecedentedly precocious development. Wilbur matures at an abnormal rate, reaching manhood within a decade. All the while, his sorcerer grandfather indoctrinates him into certain dark rituals and the study of witchcraft.” The synopsis has me sold. I just hope he follows through on execution. It's weird, because he has this ability to have some truly breathtaking cinematography but the characters and writing can be schlocky. Seems that's usually the case with Lovecraftian films. I should be used to it, it's almost a staple now.

EDIT: I realize now that I'm being a slight hypocrite considering Cage can be the schlockiest of schlocky actors, yet he somehow makes it work.

There were definitely some entertaining aspects. Cage was the bread and butter of the movie for sure. He's one of very few actors that have this charming quirk about them that always manages to steal the show. Angry Cage is best Cage. Also, I completely agree on wanting more dreamlike scenes. I really liked those foggy, hazy...dreamlike parts of the film. Definitely more, please.

Yeah, the whole time I was thinking
WARNING: spoilers below
doesn't anyone care the kid's practically suffocating on the couch?

I don't recall hearing about the Dunwich Horror. Read this little tidbit on slashfilm "The Dunwich Horror “tells the story of Wilbur Whateley, the son of a deformed albino mother and an unknown father (alluded to in passing by the mad Old Whateley as “Yog-Sothoth”), and the strange events surrounding his birth and unprecedentedly precocious development. Wilbur matures at an abnormal rate, reaching manhood within a decade. All the while, his sorcerer grandfather indoctrinates him into certain dark rituals and the study of witchcraft.” The synopsis has me sold. I just hope he follows through on execution. It's weird, because he has this ability to have some truly breathtaking cinematography but the characters and writing can be schlocky. Seems that's usually the case with Lovecraftian films. I should be used to it, it's almost a staple now.

EDIT: I realize now that I'm being a slight hypocrite considering Cage can be the schlockiest of schlocky actors, yet he somehow makes it work.
I remember thinking Cage was a comically bad actor over a decade ago (‘NOT THE BEES’ era), and couldn’t understand why people liked him in serious leading man roles. He won an OSCAR for Leaving Las Vegas, and I honestly couldn’t even get through the movie because of his performance, but I’ve warmed up to him a lot as he’s seemed to embrace his reputation. I think schlocky horror movies best accommodate him.

The Dunwich story would be hard to adapt without some big readjustments. If I remember correctly, it’s made up of mostly short anecdotes that span years, has no real leading character (Wilbur is half the story), and most of the townsfolk are unsympathetic bumpkins. But the town of Dunwich should have a great atmosphere; rotting infrastructure, inbred townsfolk, and a foot dipped in the occult. It’s supposed to be the 2nd of 3 Lovecraft movies. *knock on wood

I know Stanley is a fan of Italian horror, so silly dialogue and schlocky violence probably come naturally. I just hope he can let his third eye Tarkovsky/Jodorowsky/LSD influence shine more, but producers probably aren’t as keen on that.

Now that I’ve reminded myself about The Wicker Man remake, I’m feeling a bit nostalgic. Gonna go watch Nic Cage in a bear costume KO a defenseless lady in front of a child.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

What a captivating 2 hours this turned out to be. Didn't even feel like 2 hours. There was so much heart, emotion and humor, it was just an all around great experience. This two hour emotional roller coaster is an amusement ride worth the wait in line. Speaking of lines, you know I mean business when I inadvertently create a tagline. The only thing is I kind of regret not having read the book first. I'd imagine the book would be that much more gripping.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

What a captivating 2 hours this turned out to be. Didn't even feel like 2 hours. There was so much heart, emotion and humor, it was just an all around great experience. This two hour emotional roller coaster is an amusement ride worth the wait in line. Speaking of lines, you know I mean business when I inadvertently create a tagline. The only thing is I kind of regret not having read the book first. I'd imagine the book would be that much more gripping.
I'll definitely seek this out now. I'm not quite as high on Charlie Kaufman's writing as most (and didn't care too much for Anomalisa), but the trailer and this review have sold me.

I'll definitely seek this out now. I'm not quite as high on Charlie Kaufman's writing as most (and didn't care too much for Anomalisa), but the trailer and this review have sold me.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
In China internet addiction is considered a real problem. They built facilities specifically for kids whose parents deem addicted to the internet or gaming, etc.
Always knew moving to China would be a mistake.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

All the Gods in the Sky (Tous les dieux du ciel - 2018)

Simon (who looks nowhere near 30) lives on a farm with his disabled sister Estelle. Trying to keep everything afloat and keep social services from taking her away he's willing to do whatever it takes. That's as close as I'll get without spoiling anything. The film has a lot of beautiful imagery and the story really struck a chord. Could it have used some improvements? Sure. But in the end it served its purpose and I'd say I'm a fan.

Why Don't You Just Die! (2018)

A lot of absurd, over-the-top violence and I loved every minute of it. Oh, and bonus, learned that in Russia men are very hard to kill.

I May Destroy You (TV Series - 2020)

The way the series manages to balance comedy and drama while tackling such a sensitive subject as sexual assault is a tremendous feat. It's raw and pulls no punches. When one minute you're experiencing all the emotion of a heart-felt scene no sooner are you sucker punched in the gut by an equally emotional yet heart wrenching scene. The way the characters are written, with such complexity and realism makes me appreciate it that much more. Coel is definitely someone I'll be keeping an eye on.

Possessor (2020)

Finally got around to watching it. I liked it for the most part. Sometimes it has a tendency to come across a little artsy fartsy, especially with the prolonged, seizure inducing effects. I mean, tone it down, guy. But what took me out of it the most was the amount of vaping in the film. It may sound as if I'm nitpicking, but it seriously looked so ridiculous. Cronenberg mentioned in an interview that he thought it would be funny. Sure, I chuckled at how ridiculous it looked and then that's all I could focus on. Ultimately, the only thing it really accomplished was devaluing a scene. Speaking for myself, of course.

The film feels somewhat rushed, you don't really get much backstory or character development, you're kind of left to pick up some of the pieces as you go along. The ending could be interpreted in different ways and I kind of like that. Altogether I'd say it wasn't bad. Some intriguing ideas and wonderfully grotesque imagery. I just would've preferred a more polished execution.