Favorite movement in cinema?

Tools    

Aside the talk of important or influential take in history of cinema which one from so many of it that drawn your attention a lot?
I still need to dig and look more but japan golden age probably the one that take me so far becoz it got the great like mizoguchi, ozu, naruse, kobayashi and obviously akira kurosawa.

Good thread!!!!!!!!!!

Sideways, Sling Blade, Blade Runner (drive in 1982), Ghost World, Die Hard, Red Heat, The Good Girl, Friday, Federal Hill.
What movement is that?

Aside the talk of important or influential take in history of cinema which one from so many of it that drawn your attention a lot?
I still need to dig and look more but japan golden age probably the one that take me so far becoz it got the great like mizoguchi, ozu, naruse, kobayashi and obviously akira kurosawa.
I'm not fully clued up on all of them but I think German Expressionism would be a safe bet.

Ah, jeez. My mistake. I read this title as "Moment" not "Movement". Sorry, ignore my comment. Carry on!
I know – I misread it as that at first .

“I was cured, all right!”
Hong Kong "Heroic bloodshed" - stylized action sequences and dramatic themes such as brotherhood, duty, honour, redemption and violence. More a genre than a movement but since the 90's this genre is dead. So among the fans, we like to call it a movement.

The 1950s (Golden Age) of Japanese cinema is another one that I'm very interested. I watched a lot of japanese samurai films from the 50's but I didn't watched Ozu, Naruse and the non samurai films by Kurosawa yet. Mizoguchi and Kobayashi I already watched a lot of films but there's a lot more to go (Thank God).

Cinéma du look

Hong Kong "Heroic bloodshed" - stylized action sequences and dramatic themes such as brotherhood, duty, honour, redemption and violence. More a genre than a movement but since the 90's this genre is dead. So among the fans, we like to call it a movement.
yeah actually i like to call it a movement yet sure what it should named, it did reshaped part of action cinema like what we got im the matrix onward

The 1950s (Golden Age) of Japanese cinema is another one that I'm very interested. I watched a lot of japanese samurai films from the 50's but I didn't watched Ozu, Naruse and the non samurai films by Kurosawa yet. Mizoguchi and Kobayashi I already watched a lot of films but there's a lot more to go (Thank God).
i'd watched at least each of them only still saturated on kurosawa and kobayashi lol. Like you said there lot more to go xD

Can't say I have a favorite but I'm quite partial to the Czech New Wave, which is a very heterogeneous movement, but common denominators form many of its films include sociopolitical satire and surreal/avant-garde narrative.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Can't say I have a favorite but I'm quite partial to the Czech New Wave, which is a very heterogeneous movement, but common denominators form many of its films include sociopolitical satire and surreal/avant-garde narrative.
Best movies? I need recommendations -- running out of movies

Daisies is the only Czech New Wave film i've heard of.

Don't really have an answer to this as i've not seen enough of any of them yet. The Japanese Golden Age would be my answer right now but still so many to see.

I always try to wait until I get home tbh.

*ducks and runs

Best movies? I need recommendations -- running out of movies
Well, these are the ones I watched in order of preference:

1. Witchhammer (Otakar Vávra, 1970)
2. When the cat comes (Vojtech Jasný, 1963)
3. The ear (Karel Kachyna, 1970)
4. Happy end (Oldrich Lipský, 1967)
5. The ballad of seven hanged men (Martin Hollý, 1968)
6. The white dove (Frantisek Vlácil, 1960)
7. Carriage to Vienna (Karel Kachyna, 1966)
8. Daisies (Vera Chytilová, 1966)
9. Diamonds of the night (Jan Nemec, 1964)
10. Cremator (Juraj Herz, 1969)
11. The valley of the bees (Frantisek Vlácil, 1968)
12. The sun in a net (Stefan Uher, 1962)
13. The joke (Jaromil Jires, 1969)
14. Morgiana (Juraj Herz, 1972)
15. The end of August at the Hotel Ozone (Jan Schmidt, 1967)
16. Intimate lighting (Ivan Passer, 1965)
17. Squandered Sunday (Drahomíra Vihanová, 1969)
18. Marketa Lazarová (Frantisek Vlácil, 1967)
19. Valerie and her week of wonders (Jaromil Jires, 1970)
20. The party and the guests (Jan Nemec, 1966)
21. Closely watched trains (Jirí Menzel, 1966)
22. Birds, orphans and fools (Juraj Jakubisko, 1969)
23. I killed Einstein, gentlemen (Oldrich Lipsky, 1970)
24. Vertigo (Karel Kachyna, 1963)
25. Funeral ceremonies (Zdenek Sirovy, 1969)
26. Martyrs of love (Jan Nemec, 1967)

Then again, I think the best approach to this is trying to build your own canon. Some of the most famous films of the Czech New Wave are Closely watched trains, The shop on main street, Daisies, Cremator, The ear, Marketa Lazarová, Witchhammer or Valerie and her week of wonders. These can be considered essential viewings, note that I haven't even watched the second. So probably starting with some of these, according to preference. For example if you want something more radical Daisies is the best choice, if you want something more linear and conventional probably Closely watched trains. For a middle ground Cremator or The ear. For a particularly intense experience maybe Witchhammer. If you are into classic arthouse like Bergman or Dreyer, Marketa Lazarová is the perfect choice. It depends on your mood.

However I'd like to insist specifically on Happy end because it's not that well-known but it's a wonderful quirk that can quickly catch your attention. I think it's a great gateway.

The categorization in this movement is quite debatable and problematic either way, but I think all the above mentioned can be considered part of it. By the way, my current avatar is from another Czech film from the 70s (Václav Vorlícek's Three wishes for Cinderella), though I wouldn't count it as part of the New Wave.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Well, these are the ones I watched in order of preference:

1. Witchhammer (Otakar Vávra, 1970)
2. When the cat comes (Vojtech Jasný, 1963)
3. The ear (Karel Kachyna, 1970)
4. Happy end (Oldrich Lipský, 1967)
5. The ballad of seven hanged men (Martin Hollý, 1968)
6. The white dove (Frantisek Vlácil, 1960)
7. Carriage to Vienna (Karel Kachyna, 1966)
8. Daisies (Vera Chytilová, 1966)
9. Diamonds of the night (Jan Nemec, 1964)
10. Cremator (Juraj Herz, 1969)
11. The valley of the bees (Frantisek Vlácil, 1968)
12. The sun in a net (Stefan Uher, 1962)
13. The joke (Jaromil Jires, 1969)
14. Morgiana (Juraj Herz, 1972)
15. The end of August at the Hotel Ozone (Jan Schmidt, 1967)
16. Intimate lighting (Ivan Passer, 1965)
17. Squandered Sunday (Drahomíra Vihanová, 1969)
18. Marketa Lazarová (Frantisek Vlácil, 1967)
19. Valerie and her week of wonders (Jaromil Jires, 1970)
20. The party and the guests (Jan Nemec, 1966)
21. Closely watched trains (Jirí Menzel, 1966)
22. Birds, orphans and fools (Juraj Jakubisko, 1969)
23. I killed Einstein, gentlemen (Oldrich Lipsky, 1970)
24. Vertigo (Karel Kachyna, 1963)
25. Funeral ceremonies (Zdenek Sirovy, 1969)
26. Martyrs of love (Jan Nemec, 1967)

Then again, I think the best approach to this is trying to build your own canon. Some of the most famous films of the Czech New Wave are Closely watched trains, The shop on main street, Daisies, Cremator, The ear, Marketa Lazarová, Witchhammer or Valerie and her week of wonders. These can be considered essential viewings, note that I haven't even watched the second. So probably starting with some of these, according to preference. For example if you want something more radical Daisies is the best choice, if you want something more linear and conventional probably Closely watched trains. For a middle ground Cremator or The ear. For a particularly intense experience maybe Witchhammer. If you are into classic arthouse like Bergman or Dreyer, Marketa Lazarová is the perfect choice. It depends on your mood.

However I'd like to insist specifically on Happy end because it's not that well-known but it's a wonderful quirk that can quickly catch your attention. I think it's a great gateway.

The categorization in this movement is quite debatable and problematic either way, but I think all the above mentioned can be considered part of it. By the way, my current avatar is from another Czech film from the 70s (Václav Vorlícek's Three wishes for Cinderella), though I wouldn't count it as part of the New Wave.
Wow, thank you! I've only watched Closely watched trains and The joke, so I see a film weakness of mine...

In order to prioritize, I have my Top 10 listed.. I like conversational movies.. I don't need a lot of movement, don't care about cinematography. I do like a focused and well-paced movie...

"The Elephant Man" is one of my favorites, just missed my Top 10... I like emotional movies. I also saw The shop on main street. Bergman is one of my favorites (I couldn't finish a movie like The Silence, if silence or confusion is art-house, lol)

Glad to be of help! What did you think of Closely watched trains and The joke?

By the way, if you like conversational movies I think you should prioritize The ear and Intimate lighting.