Why do some of you just quit watching a Movie?

Tools    

And I can guarantee you that all 3 are worthless pieces of s**t with no redeeming qualities, and It's okay to stop them If you don't want to watch them, because (in my opinion) they're not worth your time. I'm not going to tell you "you have to watch those films all the way worth to have a LEGIT opinion on them."
So you're a film expert then and everyone should defer to your opinion?

Seriously though, there are plenty of films that I hate that have aspects that I like. That doesn't stop me from hating the film as a whole. However, to my knowledge I have never gone from wanting to shut a movie off near the beginning to liking it in the end.
I was being serious, but I understand you may have thought I was kidding.

So you learned how stop worrying and love the bomb?

So you learned how stop worrying and love the bomb?
I hated that movie too, though managed to force my way through it all. Longest 90 minutes of my life.

I hated that movie too, though managed to force my way through it all. Longest 90 minutes of my life.

Well, it's Kubrick, Miss, Vicky, how should I call you? Nah, I'll call you The Lady Taurus, if you don't mind. And whom do you love more than Kubrick?

I took this thread seriously.
=*(
Why? Why take anything seriously?

So you're a film expert then and everyone should defer to your opinion?
I am a film expert, yes but, LIKE I SAID:
Again, not everyone should be held by the same standard I hold myself to when watching a film.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm not about to begrudge other people deciding to quit on movies if that's what they feel like, but I will acknowledge that it fundamentally limits their ability to discuss a particular movie in depth. I stick through movies because I figure that they'll either get better at best and prove a learning experience at worst, but that's because I'm interested in film as an art form. If people want to treat movies as just entertainment and will give up on something if they're not feeling sufficiently entertained, then that's acceptable.

On a related note, I wonder if part of the reason I got a reputation for being such a curmudgeon when it comes to movies is because I finish the bad ones that other people would've just given up on without rating them (and rating a film you don't finish is a practice I definitely find disagreeable).

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
But you just don't quit a film, no matter what it is. (Even 'Salo'... maybe.) I understand people are entitled and are allowed to do what they want to do. However; Film is an art form that needs to be experienced.
I don't give a rat's ass if it's art or not. If I'm bored with a movie I move on and do something else.

I don't give a rat's ass if it's art or not. If I'm bored with a movie I move on and do something else.
Film is an Art Form, It's obviously you don't take it seriously. "IT'S JUST MOVIES! IT'S ENTERTAINMENT! JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF!"

Who's your favorite? Bergman maybe?
I don't have one. I guess Bergman might be the closest. He is one of the very few directors whose movies I've watched solely because he directed them.

Kubrick, Lynch, Scorsese, Tarkovsky, Klimov, Haneke, Nolan, Iñárritu, Tarantino, Jeunet.

My Favorites

If the movie is called Spring Breakers I will quit watching it otherwise I will finish it or fall asleep while watching it

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Film is an Art Form, It's obviously you don't take it seriously. "IT'S JUST MOVIES! IT'S ENTERTAINMENT! JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF!"
Honest question: are you serious?

My post earlier about taking this thread seriously was because I thought the OP was to invite conversation. Now I get the vibe the whole point was to bait and pass judgment. Am I missing something?

My example of walking out happened to be mostly for entertainment. But entertainment and artistic appreciation are not mutually exclusive. That is also why I casually referenced how I judge a movie---because, depending on the film's purpose, my expectations will vary. So too will my criticisms.

There is an argument in the strictest sense that one should experience a film completely before judging it, out of some artistic respect for the creator. OK, I am fine with that. The other side of that coin, however, is the responsibility of the writer/director to respect the audience in turn by not producing ****. On the other hand, if that creator is honest enough to begin with in admitting that the intent was in fact to create ****, then either that is itself an artistic statement and may or may not receive an appropriate response or it may just be immediately recognized for what it is: ****. Just in this case, transparent ****.

Of course **** is subjective. I might place it upon a pedestal and proclaim my genius. That is fine too. Someone may agree and sing my praise while another may label me a commercial hack.

Regardless, **** is ****. Pretending it's art to feel more confident for entertaining it to begin with while vocally judging those who would rather experience something more meaningful for them is, in my humble opinion, as enlightening as the **** they are viewing.