Roger Ebert dead at 70.

Tools    

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Wow. Roger was one of the few film critics I really trusted. He had a passion for film, was an intelligent man, writer, and critic, and now he's passed on. The movies won't be the same without him.

RIP Roger Ebert. You were an inspiration to all us film buffs, even if we didn't always agree with you.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Rest in Peace Roger. Even if you didn't always agree with his reviews, I don't think it would be possible not to admire the sheer passion he had for film and his talent as a writer. So often I check old reviews of his when I come across a film I'm not aware of to see whether it might be worth watching or taping.

One thing I loved about his reviews is that he didn't seem afraid to love films just because they were fun. So many critics these days seem to be obsessed with being 'respected', meaning they can't allow themselves to like films that exist merely for pure entertainment. But he seemed to just be a real lover of cinema, whether it be high art or the dumbest of blockbusters.

I don't think I've ever felt more sad about a person that passed away, and that I never met.
^This

I've been sad for Roger Ebert for some time now. I mean, ever since he lost part of his jaw, he's looked like that freaky faced guy from Hannibal.

And I know this might be a terrible thing to bring up at a time like this, but... screw it. The neg rep system is gone.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comparison.jpg
Views:	24679
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	10399  

Roger Ebert has died. He just announced that his cancer had returned, but I really didn't expect him to die so soon. This is tremendously sad. He died so young, and he was such an inspiration to so many people. Roger Ebert was an amazing man. He lost his ability to eat, to speak, to live life normally. Facing what he faced on a daily basis, most of us, myself included, would become bitter, collapsing under the weight of the enormity of of the problems which we faced each and every day. Not Roger Ebert. No matter what he was going through, he maintained a positive attitude, his zest for life, and his love for movies. He was first diagnosed with cancer in 2002, so he fought this horrible disease for 10 year. When celebrities die, it doesn't usually affect me but this really is devastating. Rest in Peace Roger Ebert. We will not see the likes of you again. You were one of the good ones.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ro...70-1200333136/

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
[center]Of course it's sad but Ebert's life has been sad for awhile now. I'm lucky enough to have watched the old Sneak Previews show on PBS witn Rog and Gene before they went to network TV
Perhaps my favourite review from those days, though the best episodes were the best of's imo.

I've mentioned this before on these forums, but Ebert provided an excellent Commentary on the Directors Cut Dvd of Dark City.

Highly reccomended.

I've been sad for Roger Ebert for some time now. I mean, ever since he lost part of his jaw, he's looked like that freaky faced guy from Hannibal.

And I know this might be a terrible thing to bring up at a time like this, but... screw it. The neg rep system is gone.
He didn't look remotely as bad as that guy. In fact, without the jaw his face became more "elegant" in a way.

R.I.P. to the best mainstream US film critic ever.

Don't need negative reps or any other system to let you know that that's messed up, dude.

He didn't look remotely as bad as that guy. In fact, without the jaw his face became more "elegant" in a way.
THAT is messed up. There ain't nothing elegant about having part of your jaw missing and being unable to talk.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

We will never have another film critic as universally loved and prominent as Roger Ebert. I use to watch At The Movies when I was a kid and I thought I was the only kid to ever watch these two old guys discuss movies (this was before the internet). Siskel would always seem to better Ebert in their discussions. The same way Ebert would walk circles around Roper when he took over. Even today, with the internet and EVERYONE being a critic, when you say think of a film critic, 90% of the time you'll think of Roger Ebert.

I had a nice chuckle to myself when Rolan Emmerich decided to throw these two guys in Godzilla after both critics failed to give his previous films a thumbs up.

As an aspiring filmmaker, it saddens me that nothing I had a hand in would ever be seen by his eyes.

I can only assume you're up there with Siskel watching the best movies you both love over and over....and fighting about it.

Suspect's Reviews

Come on dude, really? This is worse than Flimmaker calling Tony Scott a coward when he committed suicide. That's really messed up Sexy, and shows you don't have the respect you claim to.

Well, when is a better time to bring up the fact that I think Roger Ebert, in his final years, looks like Mason Verger? Y'all will probably never talk about Roger anymore since he's now dead and the deformed face he had will be irrelevant. I'm giving that face some last respect!

who's the most important american critic now?

Loved this guy.
I always read his opinion first. I didn't always agree with him (he hated Blue Velvet for instance), but he always showed a genuine love for movies.
I also like to watch the older episodes of Siskel and Ebert at the movies to see what they discussed about a certain film.

R.I.P.

Last year I really started to get into watching films, and as part of that I started looking at more reviews, especially those of critics, and I was told by a friend of mine to check out Roger Ebert, he quickly became my favourite critic, although I didn't always agree with him I liked his rating system and his easily readable but extremely well done reviews, he became the only critic that I constantly checked for new reviews, and every Thursday I made sure I checked his site for the latest batch.

Was my own birthday yesterday, so when my friend messaged me last night that he had died I was a bit upset, the guy has certainly had a hard life, nobody deserves to go through what he has in his battle against cancer. I will certainly miss him