MoFo Christopher Nolan/Dark Knight Rises countdown: Insomnia (2002)

Tools    

Ok, so I imagine some of us have already watched or are planning to watch Insomnia this week. I have yet to watch it myself but will do so tonight. I decided to post these discussions on the 21st instead of the 20th since The Dark Knight Rises actually comes out on the 20th and we are likely to be discussing it a day after.

Ok, i've been pondering about Insomnia for quite awhile and the questions I think would be most appropriate for discussion. I would probably be better waiting until I have seen it after tonight's viewing, but to get some thought process going, I will ask something for now. A nice easy question just to get the ball rolling

Insomnia has been labelled as a film blanc in the sense that it uses daytime setting as a backdrop for the film's plot as opposed to the traditional noir trope of using dark nighttime setting.

Does the film succeed in turning this convention on it's head and what are the other ways that help Insomnia identify as a noir?

I'm watching this tomorrow or the day after.

Anyway, before we can answer that question we must first establish what is 'noir'. What is noir? Or neo-noir? I believe we can agree that Insomnia is definitely NOT the conventional/traditional noir of the 40s and 50s, since it was made in 2002 after that period. But what defines neo-noir? The 4 common characteristics of a noir film are femme fatale, mise-en-scene, low key lighting and private eye. From what i can recall, Insomnia does not involve femme fatale and low key lighting (although we can argue that the latter is not essential for neo-noir, take Chinatown for example). So we are left with mise-en-scene and private eye. I must admit i have to rewatch The Prestige before i can comment on whether it utilises mise-en-scene devices.

Back to your question, my answer is a straight 'no'. To put it simply, Insomnia is NOT the first film to use daytime setting as a backdrop. Other films labelled as neo-noir that come before Insomnia include Chinatown, Le Samourai and Fargo. These three films did not use the 'dark nighttime setting'. Even Insomnia is a remake of the Norwegian film, so definitely it did not change the noir convention. Perhaps a better question to ask would be "To what extent can Insomnia be classified as noir?"

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The only Nolan film I didn't see yet. I will seek it out.

For the purposes of this discussion, don't watch the original first. There's no point to Nolan's remake, if you've seen the original. Actually, I'd be tempted to argue there's no point to Nolan's remake at all.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
For the purposes of this discussion, don't watch the original first. There's no point to Nolan's remake, if you've seen the original. Actually, I'd be tempted to argue there's no point to Nolan's remake at all.
What's the point of any remake? To get to a new audience.

Suspect's Reviews

I'm watching this tomorrow or the day after.

Anyway, before we can answer that question we must first establish what is 'noir'. What is noir? Or neo-noir? I believe we can agree that Insomnia is definitely NOT the conventional/traditional noir of the 40s and 50s, since it was made in 2002 after that period. But what defines neo-noir? The 4 common characteristics of a noir film are femme fatale, mise-en-scene, low key lighting and private eye. From what i can recall, Insomnia does not involve femme fatale and low key lighting (although we can argue that the latter is not essential for neo-noir, take Chinatown for example). So we are left with mise-en-scene and private eye. I must admit i have to rewatch The Prestige before i can comment on whether it utilises mise-en-scene devices.

Back to your question, my answer is a straight 'no'. To put it simply, Insomnia is NOT the first film to use daytime setting as a backdrop. Other films labelled as neo-noir that come before Insomnia include Chinatown, Le Samourai and Fargo. These three films did not use the 'dark nighttime setting'. Even Insomnia is a remake of the Norwegian film, so definitely it did not change the noir convention. Perhaps a better question to ask would be "To what extent can Insomnia be classified as noir?"
Right, I did more or less ask this. I never once said that it was the noir to use a daytime setting, did I? But if you want to be a bit more specific then ok. Obviously any film set after the 50s isn't considered a film noir but rather a neo noir, hence why I only used the term 'noir' rather than film noir. But theres too many noirs in this paragraph already so i'll try to limit that. I agree that the most noticeable noir trope missing from Insomnia is the femme fatale. It's the only aspect that sometimes makes me hesitate in calling it a noir.

There is (gorgeous) low key lighting in most of the interior shots (mostly the insomniac Detective Dormer's room). The tortured soul that is Dormer is a classic noir 'hero' in that he is morally suspect.

Bumping up the discussion for those who are afraid of a little page turn

I watched Insomnia just because I thought it would be cool to see Nolan directing Pacino. I liked it quite a lot, and I think it gets a bad rap; sure, it isn't not Nolan's best film, but it's a tight, well-made thriller that gets the job done. And Robin Williams is surprisingly good as a psycho. As to whether or not Insomnia counts as noir... I didn't really get the feeling of it being that at all. More of a psychological thriller than anything else.

I watched Insomnia just because I thought it would be cool to see Nolan directing Pacino. I liked it quite a lot, and I think it gets a bad rap; sure, it isn't not Nolan's best film, but it's a tight, well-made thriller that gets the job done. And Robin Williams is surprisingly good as a psycho. As to whether or not Insomnia counts as noir... I didn't really get the feeling of it being that at all. More of a psychological thriller than anything else.
Does it really get a bad rap or is it just not mentioned as much as his other films? I don't think it's as good as the original, but that's not the same as saying it's crap. Pointless, maybe. Lesser, certainly. Not not bad.

Also, if you like Robin Williams in this, check out his (even better, IMO) performance in One Hour Photo, if you've not seen it.

Also, if you like Robin Williams in this, check out his (even better, IMO) performance in One Hour Photo, if you've not seen it.
Thanks, i'll have to see it

And I haven't seen the original, either. I need to check that out too

al pachino was only quality during the 70's

He did his best work then, but that's not the only quality work he did. Cruising, Donnie Brasco, Frankie & Johnnie, Glengary Glen Ross and, apparently, The Merchant Of Venice and You Don't Know Jack. Though I've not seen either of those.

I think you'd like You Don't Know Jack HK. Check it out sometime.

Does it really get a bad rap or is it just not mentioned as much as his other films? I don't think it's as good as the original, but that's not the same as saying it's crap. Pointless, maybe. Lesser, certainly. Not not bad.
Definitely doesn't get a bad rap. In fact, as the years go by it gets more and more praise. Some may say that the Nolan version has developed a little bit of a Following and I know a few people including Mark F who consider it among Nolan's finest work.

Completely disagree about Pacino being 'a horrible actor', Tyler. Sure, he has phoned it in few awhile now, but I think that his performance in films like Insomnia and his work in the 70's/80's are excellent.

Took me awhile to grab a copy of this and see it. I saw it a few years back, actually, but wanted to refresh my memory. I was impressed then and I'm impressed now. So much that I almost don't want to say too much, because I'm toying with the idea of writing something a little more formal about it.

Rough thoughts: it's pretty underrated. I haven't seen the original, so I don't know if it changes enough to be worthwhile, or if it's just a remake designed to make the film more appealing/accessible/whatever to American audiences. Not sure how I feel about Pacino overall, but he's great in Insomnia, as are Williams and Swank.

The metaphors are all pretty heavy. They're not especially subtle, but I don't think that takes away from their power. The dual metaphors of light seeping into the room and the inability to sleep combine to create a genuine feeling of weariness.

It's also, of course, a rather gorgeous film to look at; lots of landscapes, closeups, and the scene in the fog is particularly lovely.

Really strong film. Picked up a lot more on the second time through, too; I'm tempted to buy a cheap, used copy and go scouring it away for more missed details.

Oh, I also noticed the D.A. from Batman Begins has a role as the cop who gets shot early on.

Took me awhile to grab a copy of this and see it. I saw it a few years back, actually, but wanted to refresh my memory. I was impressed then and I'm impressed now. So much that I almost don't want to say too much, because I'm toying with the idea of writing something a little more formal about it.

Rough thoughts: it's pretty underrated. I haven't seen the original, so I don't know if it changes enough to be worthwhile, or if it's just a remake designed to make the film more appealing/accessible/whatever to American audiences. Not sure how I feel about Pacino overall, but he's great in Insomnia, as are Williams and Swank.

The metaphors are all pretty heavy. They're not especially subtle, but I don't think that takes away from their power. The dual metaphors of light seeping into the room and the inability to sleep combine to create a genuine feeling of weariness.

It's also, of course, a rather gorgeous film to look at; lots of landscapes, closeups, and the scene in the fog is particularly lovely.

Really strong film. Picked up a lot more on the second time through, too; I'm tempted to buy a cheap, used copy and go scouring it away for more missed details.

Oh, I also noticed the D.A. from Batman Begins has a role as the cop who gets shot early on.
Glad you liked it the second time. Absolutely agree that it's a beautiful film to look at. As far as cinematography goes, it's up there with the best of Wally Pfisters/Nolan's work. I really love the lighting and colours on the interior shots, specially the ones with Pacino's hotel.

The original is a really good film. I can see how someone who has watched the original wouldn't be all that big on the remake. Not because the original is so much better, but as Honey said, it is more or less pointless. BUT...that certainly doesn't make it a weaker film. Just a hard to justify a remake one.

When you get another copy Yod, I suggest you check out the commentary. Probably Nolan's best and liveliest commentary (and, sadly, the last ever one he probably will ever do).

More on the themes later

He did? Crap, I wish I'd realized that before returning the disc. I'll keep an eye out for that.

I get the impressions lots of directors don't love doing those (forces them to spell too many things out, maybe?), and only do them as often as they have to. I'm guessing Insomnia was the last time he lacked the clout to say no to the idea.