Drive

→ in
Tools    

Lol! now it is available to watch online at most of streaming site. I've enjoyed this great release movie after it's release in USA theater. If you've missed it, then should go get download this brilliant movie through any good Hollywood movie entertainment source.

As a fan of Walter Hill's The Driver I've been wondering the same thing, and think thematically and stylistically Drive looks like a cross between that and To Live and Die in L.A. which is equally great. I've also heard comparisons to Michael Mann's excellent Thief which can only be a good thing. Will check it out this week.
Yeah, the use of the city and stuff, especially the lights during the night sequences are very Mannesque. I've not seen The Driver, but i'm certainly curious about it now.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just saw this. Overall enjoyable, but the last 1/3rd lagged for me, and Albert Brooks as a knife-wielding bad guy should've dripped with blood, but it just dripped with wrong sauce.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Just saw this. Overall enjoyable, but the last 1/3rd lagged for me, and Albert Brooks as a knife-wielding bad guy should've dripped with blood, but it just dripped with wrong sauce.
LOL! I couldn't stop myself from hearing a Pixar clown fish

Really?? I thought he conveyed just about the right amount of menace. It was an underplayed performance for the most part, and suitably so, specially when you do see how high his capacity for violence can be.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
He did a good enough job, and it was interesting to see him in this part. Despite the novelty though, I don't think he has the range to be a knife-wielding villain. He had to overcome some major typecasting hurdles for this part, and IMO they played it too safe with this character. Hell, if I see a great comedian playing a vicious killer in a breakout role, I want him to be freakin insane.

Well, I just saw it. I like Gosling. He is a good method actor but in this movie he was a little too cool, his responses were a little too sedated, except when he was stomping the guy into a mashed potato in the elevator. In those situations, girls either run and get scarred of their " friend " or they kick back and enjoy the show. Our heroine did neither except get miscast for the part.
The story is kind of flawed from beginning: boy meets girl, boy nicely falls for girl, but oops gir's husband is just released from prison, no problem, boy makes friends with husband, boy helps girl and husband, so that they could go off happily into the sunset. How very altruistic but very doubtfully real.
Even the scene in the elevator. Gosling is standing with the girl aware that a character in the same elevator is about to do him egrigious bodily harm and what does he do? He is so cool, he turns his back on the guy and embraces the girl ( tying up both of his hands in the process )for a long lingering kiss. Of course, the other guy, I guess out of respect, waits for Gosling to finish making out and allows him to turn so he can defend himself.. Come on........
Other than that I enjoyed the movie. Well, no, I thought the ending sucked. I mean, here's this cool driver that so quickly turns into an adept killer but comletely let's his guard down with the last man standing .
Albert Brooks suprised me a bit with his meaness. He was very good bu Gosling was able to take care of him, no problem, but guess what, he just leaves a million dollars
besides the body and drives off wounded into the sunset. Talk about people that don't know how to end the movie.
Other than all that, I guess it was a good flick but if you payed for me to see it again, I would most likely take your money and take you to another movie.

WARNING: "Drive" spoilers below

In those situations, girls either run and get scarred of their " friend " or they kick back and enjoy the show. Our heroine did neither except get miscast for the part.
She was watching in shock, perfectly realistic. Plus she could hardly go anywhere while stuck in the lift while the majority of that violence happened.

Gosling is standing with the girl aware that a character in the same elevator is about to do him egrigious bodily harm and what does he do? He is so cool, he turns his back on the guy and embraces the girl ( tying up both of his hands in the process )for a long lingering kiss. Of course, the other guy, I guess out of respect, waits for Gosling to finish making out and allows him to turn so he can defend himself.. Come on........
One reason he did that was so he could safely move her out of the way ready for him to attack the man(and he probably knew this would be the only time he could be so intimate with her after she sees what he is about to do) and probably realised the man wouldn't do anything while in the lift, less suspicious then just suddenly moving her out of the way and therefore no surprise attack from Gosling... 'it's a couple kissing and they don't suspect that I'm going to kill them once the lift has got to where they are going'. The man with the gun would have waited until the lift came to a stop so he can shoot and kill and make an easier getaway, unlike stuck in the lift with two people and shooting.

no problem, but guess what, he just leaves a million dollars
If you pay attention to the film you would see reasons why he left the money. Perfectly fine ending to the film.

WARNING: "Drive" spoilers below

She was watching in shock, perfectly realistic. Plus she could hardly go anywhere while stuck in the lift while the majority of that violence happened.

One reason he did that was so he could safely move her out of the way ready for him to attack the man(and he probably knew this would be the only time he could be so intimate with her after she sees what he is about to do) and probably realised the man wouldn't do anything while in the lift, less suspicious then just suddenly moving her out of the way and therefore no surprise attack from Gosling... 'it's a couple kissing and they don't suspect that I'm going to kill them once the lift has got to where they are going'. The man with the gun would have waited until the lift came to a stop so he can shoot and kill and make an easier getaway, unlike stuck in the lift with two people and shooting.

If you pay attention to the film you would see reasons why he left the money. Perfectly fine ending to the film.
First of all, it really would be nice if you were less confrontational about my posts. I really want o give you a kiss but it's really hard on the internet so I'll just debate your arguement:

1 - the girl was allready out of the elevator, standing there and watching the guy getting stomped to death ( her facial reaction was not registering any particular shock )

2 - Your explaination is so fantasy movie like. I don't think you have been in any real physical fights. When a guy becomes aware of an impending attack, it's either fight or flight. You will never ever see somone just turn their back and handicap himself by wrapping himself around a girl and kissing her, knowing that he is about to get jumped and giving his attacker all kinds of opportunities to end it quickly. Are you kidding me?

3- Whatever gave you the idea that I wasn't paying attention to the movie
as I discussed very specific details?
Albert told him very clearly that it didn't matter whether or not he left the money but that the girl would be ok. Why would Gosling believe a character that was so deceptive throughout?
She would have been eliminated anyway because she was a witness and those kind of guys never leave loose ends.
It would have made much more sense for Gosling to scoop up the money, get the girl and get out of Dodge. That way for sure he had a better chance of protecting her and that kind of money could buy new identities and travel to far away places where they could both dissapear forever.
That's reality!

It's a shame the Academy did not recognize this movie as one of its best pictures because I really thought it was one of the best this year. The intensity and grittiness reminded me of those tough guy movies of the 70's.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Saw this film a few days ago, and I was surprised by it. First off, I loved it. There was an element of surprise to it that got me from the start. I saw no trailers of it (or if I did, they were less than memorable), so I watched it thinking it was going to be another wrongly-praised standard action flick. Boy, was I wrong. It's not so much a heist/car-driving film so much as a dramatic character study on what really motivates people to do what they do, especially in situations like getting involved with dangerous people. Ryan Gosling does a fantastic job as The Driver. As for his long pauses, I felt they were pretty well-placed and meaningful as he considers his next thought carefully. He was a little too cool during some scenes, which can come off as unsettling at times. However, not much is really known about his character, or how long he's been at his job, so I forgive his demeanor for that reason. Albert Brooks and Bryan Cranston are also fantastic, with Brooks taking every scene he's in by force. The story does come off as a bit muddled and stiff, not providing enough exposition to advance itself quickly enough during one or more important scenes. However, once you start getting into the characters' motives and why they do them, that's when the plot finally starts adding together a little better. I loved the camerawork, the writing, the acting, and the overall direction and atmosphere of this quick little drama. The story might be a little simplistic, but it fits perfectly. I give it 3.5 out of 4 stars.

Here is my review of Drive:

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.

Definitely the best film of I've seen of 2011 thus far. I loved the ultra-stylish direction, the impressive performances (Albert Brooks is great) and the excellent soundtrack. I have some problems with the pacing, but they're all minor.

Loved it.

bad