Drive

→ in
Tools    

Are you fan of 70's car themed action films? 80's John Hughes' teeny bobs? Or how about violent 90's neo noir thrillers? If you said yes to any one of those questions then do yourself a kindness and please watch Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive.

While the general plot outline may sound frustratingly familiar, do NOT be fooled, this is not Gone In 60' Seconds or a Fast & Furious close, this is pretty muched established early on in the film where ultra pink opening titles take place over beautiful tracking shots of the L.A. night time skyline whilst a tense techno beat pulsates throughout. Subsequent shots within the scene show neo lights bouncing off Ryan Gosling's handsome mug. This is neo noir framing at it's finest. This is the world of Drive.

Set in contemporary L.A., this is the story of the nameless driver (Gosling) moonlighting by day as a stuntman/mechanic and by night as a suave getaway driver for wrong uns looking to make a bit of cash. This type of lifestyle has been going on for more than half a decade for Mr Driver, but then cute young mother Irene catches his gaze (a suitably vulnerbale Carey Mulligan) and, as you can imagine, he bonds with her and her son. Without giving to much away, her estranged husband comes back into their lives, and thats when Drive reaches for the 2nd gear.

Again, the plotting is very typical and it's fair to say it's cliched, but Refn doesn't do cliched. He takes the familiar and turns it on it's head, which is exactly what he does with all of the aspects of what is potentially his best film to date. The framing of the warm, earlier scenes between Driver and Irene are inspired. There is a surprising amount of attention to detail in even the most mundane moments, and Refn's electro, 80's music cues are inspired. Most of romance between The Gosling and Mulligan is conveyed in refreshingly subtle ways. Sweet smiles and gazes that hold on longer than they normally would help warm you to the characters, even if Mulligan is a bit underused afterwards.

But when Drive hits the higher gears, that's when you get a feel for the parts that made Refn excited about making this picture. When the **** goes down, the tension rarely lets up. There are homages to Mann in the ways that Refn cranks up the tension, with moments of surprising and gory violence that gives the film it's edge.
But it's all done very tastefully (if that's possible) and one excruciating beating is juxtopositioned with one of the most liveliest screen kisses I have ever seen. I remember reading an interview in which Refn looked to the head smashing scene in Irreversible in order to get the desired effect.

The supporting players have fun in their roles. The loveable Ron Pearlman does sleazy and funny with his turn as one half of a corrupt owner of a Pizza parlour. The other half is Albert Brooks, who seemingly down to earth demeanor completely disappears when he decides to stick a fork in it. It's a pretty sophisticated performance that screams subtle menance. Christina Hendricks is completely wasted in a minor role, and it's obvious that Winding Refn only got her involved because he fancies with her as one can tell by the way she is framed, but at least she manages to looks ludicrously gorgeous in her very few mins of screen time.

Besides Refn's ultra slick direction, however, the main star of the show is the Eastwood homage himself, Driver. I've said a lot about Gosling and what i'm about to say really isn't much different. The cool retro poster itself reveals him as an instantly iconic figure with that scorpion symboled silver jacket and skinny jeans. He even has a toothpick just to put the icing on the cake. There are shades of guys like Travis Bickle, Phillip Marlowe, many characters of Steve McQueen/Paul Newman in his effortlessly masculine and decent natured performance as a man who finding himself in increasingly brutal situations for his latent love of Irene. Gosling has very little dialogue in the film, so a lot of his expression comes from facial gestures and body language. He looks a little more athletic and as the film goes along, you get an understanding that the character has very few limits. All this without any backstory, name, age, etc.

In fact, if there is one thing I found frustrating about Drive, it's the fact that we don't get to know the character at besides the fact that he likes likes cars, has a moral code of honour and will do anything to protect Irene and her son. I get that it adds to the mystique of the character, but a little get-to-know would have been quite nice.

I also felt that even though I really enjoyed set up, it takes a little too long to get to thick of things. This film is about 100mins, that's not even two hours. Stripping down 10 mins of the early scenes by 10 mins would not have hurt at all. The actual end sequence feels a little rushed, but it doesn't hinder the film that badly.

Otherwise, watch this please. Refn has a new muse in Gosling, and the two will work together at least two more times in the next couple of years with Only God Forgives, a thai boxing film and a remake of Logan's Run, which, from a stylistic standpoint, could be brilliant with Refn at the helm and Gosling starring.

But for now, take a Drive and just allow it to take you to any place you want. God that sentence was ****ing pathetic ! Anyways, you guys get what I mean, I think. But seriously, watch and enjoy.

I may actually go to the theater for this one! Highest praise I can give a film I haven't seen yet!

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
I quite enjoyed "Drive." Ryan Gosling really stole the show, I was impressed with his performance for sure. Also, I absolutely loved the music in this film, it really added something special to the movie. I've seen Refn's other movies, "Valhalla Rising" and "Bronson," and I have to say that I enjoyed "Drive" the most. Although it was slowly-paced and a bit lacking on the actual driving sequences, I thought it was pretty good. I wouldn't watch it again, it's the kind of movie that you watch once and you say to yourself, 'OK, that was pretty cool. Next.' Overall, though, it was a good watch.

7.5/10

The music was indeed wonderful. Great cues, and a good transitions between diegetic and non diegetic. I imagine the soundtrack is a must have for 80's music lovers. Theres quite a bit of driving in the film, just not actual car chases and stuff. Some of Driver's antics reminded me of a goodie Stuntman Mike, so an extended scene of the bit where
WARNING: "Minor Drive spoilers" spoilers below
pursues Ron Pearlman in his vehicle
would have been nice, but otherwise, I consider those minor issues.

I have been thinking about this film for quite a bit after last week and if I had my way I would put it in contention for a academy award. I don't want to hype it up too much incase people's expectations become unrealistic, but it is definitely the best film of the year thus far, imo. It's beautiful in all aspects, even the violent imagery. I'm really excited to hear what other Mofo's think of it.

I saw it yesterday and loved it. I would say more, but I'm a little busy right now.

I have to admit, I'm not going to be one of the MoFos who will be *raving* about "Drive." Don't get me wrong, it was an above-average film that was engaging enough. I'm just not jumping up and down about it. Take away the awesome score/music & take away Ryan Gosling: you'd have a 6/10 or lower.

I could tell that A LOT of people leaving the theater were disappointed. "Drive" was marketed as a sort of indie homage to "Gone in 60 Seconds," and I think that most people probably bought their tickets under the impression that it would be "Fast & Furious" for grown ups. As soon as I saw Refn's name attached to the film, I knew it would end up being more artistic and cerebral (vis-a-vis "Bronson")...so since that's what I was expecting, I wasn't as miffed as some of the other folks.

I wasn't disappointed by "Drive," - I pretty much knew what I was in for. It was just missing that little *extra* something, you know? I wasn't emotionally invested, and I really wanted to be. It's almost as if it was too cool.

impression that it would be "Fast & Furious" for grown ups.
If people got that from the trailers, they must be seeing things... I don't get a Fast and Furious for adults vibe from any of the trailers/clips at all.

I don't get a Fast and Furious for adults vibe from any of the trailers/clips at all.
You don't, but I'm saying the regular population of humans, the ones who don't spend countless hours on Movie Forums, that THOSE people probably got that vibe. Know what I mean?

Are you fan of 70's car themed action films?
Yes. Though this was a good movie, it was not reminiscent of "70's car themed action films". Barely any driving scenes at all. I was hoping for another Duel.

Well the little drive scenes there were were clearly inspired by 70's car action fests, and Refn even confirmed this in various interviews.

I can somewhat see why some might be disappointed. I too pretty much knew what to expect although I did think there would be more car chases too, but it doesn't really take much away from the film. It's extremely well made, though and I think it's probably more cerebral than I initially thought. I had to google the 'Scorpion & Frog' reference Driver makes, and it's pretty significant to the film's themes and to what drives the Driver to do what he does. That's why I think that filmgirl and others may benefit from repeat viewings, because there is even more to the film once the layers are stripped.

I could tell that A LOT of people leaving the theater were disappointed
This is the impression I got too. I felt that the audience I saw it with didn't know what to make of it. It's one of those films, I guess.

I had to google the 'Scorpion & Frog' reference Driver makes, and it's pretty significant to the film's themes and to what drives the Driver to do what he does. That's why I think that filmgirl and others may benefit from repeat viewings, because there is even more to the film once the layers are stripped.
I picked up on the Scorpion & Frog reference about halfway through and I understood the point of it fairly clearly.

The problem for me is, I wouldn't watch it again. Not because I hated it, but because there's nothing more for me to extract from the film. It was well done in that the overlying "point" of the movie was reached by the end of it. There's really nothing to debate or ponder - at least for me. So with that said, I'm satisfied with the 1 watch.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I still don't know all that much about the specifics and feel of the film, but if anyone has seen Walter Hill's existential thriller The Driver (1978), can they give me some kind of compare/contrast with that? Holden?

I'm glad someone has a thread about this, there's been quite a lot of buzz around this film, I'm excited to go see it as I'm a big fan of both Christina Hendricks and Carey Mulligan. Plus it has 92% on Rotten Tomatoes so it's bound to be good! Has anyone seen it?

I'm a big fan of both Christina Hendricks and Carey Mulligan.
Christina Hendricks is barely in it, just an FYI.

Plus it has 92% on Rotten Tomatoes so it's bound to be good!
It has a score of 79 on Meta Critic, which I find to be a fairer number.

Has anyone seen it?
Have you read through this thread?

looks like a Jason Statham movie to me. Only without him

It's important to underscore in no way is the driver a "noble" outlaw.

His little speech about 5 minutes of heaven, is not a declaration of a strict moral code, but the total absence of one. The time restrictions he places on jobs limits them to smash and grabs heists. But what if something went wrong during in that period? What if someone was killed, or a whole mess of people were murdered and he helped them evade capture. So much for being a nice guy.

The film works because of the flip, instead of being the vicious perp, the driver becomes the hunted victim. He's cheated by dishonest people. (Wow, in the criminal underworld no less---go figger!) Also, this film is extremely well cast, it gains a lot by putting sympathetic actors in unsympathetic roles.

I still don't know all that much about the specifics and feel of the film, but if anyone has seen Walter Hill's existential thriller The Driver (1978), can they give me some kind of compare/contrast with that?
The driver (1978) is in a different, better realm all altogether---it's an existential thriller disguised as an action film. In "Drive", Gosling is the man with no name---so death can't find him. In "The Driver", the whole cast is without name. The only existential comparison is the Bryan Cranston character, who openly admits he's been cheating the driver since day one. Ha ha.

I still don't know all that much about the specifics and feel of the film, but if anyone has seen Walter Hill's existential thriller The Driver (1978), can they give me some kind of compare/contrast with that? Holden?
As a fan of Walter Hill's The Driver I've been wondering the same thing, and think thematically and stylistically Drive looks like a cross between that and To Live and Die in L.A. which is equally great. I've also heard comparisons to Michael Mann's excellent Thief which can only be a good thing. Will check it out this week.