The Great Gatsby Remake

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Baz Luhrmann's newest endevour in filmmaking is going to be a Great Gatsby remake. He's teaming up with DiCaprio again, alongside Tobey Maguire and Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan.

It's of course based on F. Scott Fitzgerald's book of the same name, (a favorite of mine) which is set in the roaring 20s in Long Island. A story told from the point of view of newcomer to the island, and former midwesterner, Nick Carraway (Maguire) who starts living the lavish lifestyle along with his new neighbor, Jay Gatsby (DiCaprio.) As soon as Carraway observes what's going on around him, he sees just how immoral and careless humans can be.

I remember me and Yods talking about this a while ago and he just doesn't think it will be good, I think it stands a real chance of being great. Luhrmann is a very good pick to direct, the man makes visually stunning films, and has already proved to me that he can do his own thing with a story but still pay homage to the source material. (Romeo + Juliet anyone?)

At its core though, it is a character study, and I think the movie will mostly rest on the actors and actresses themselves. So far they're doing well with the casting, DiCaprio I have full faith in when it comes to any role, I love the guy, and think he does have the right stuff to pull off Gatsby. Macguire is perfect for Carraway, he does have that All-American Midwestern young man look to him, and this is just the thing he needs to shake off the Peter Parker image it seems he wants to do. Carey Mulligan as Daisy is also a good choice. The girl can act, and hopefully can be the rebellious flapper she sort of had in An Education (or at least looked to be.... never seen it .)

I'm pretty freakin' excited for this.

Semper Fooey
The Robert Redford one sucked, nobody saw the Ladd version, and the Warner Baxter silent is a lost film.

I have some real hopes for this movie being good; I LOVED The Great Gatsby when I first read it and the Robert Redford version didn't live up to my high school expectations.

Baz Lurhmann's stuff is usually very stylistic and really draws you in, I can't wait to see what he does with it.

I liked the book, but I hate Tobey Maguire more than anyone, so we'll see how it turns out.

Semper Fooey
The problem I suppose there is not a previous version that is considered to be definitive. But that also means a new version has a good chance of at least being better than what came before. The casting doesn't excite me, a little too safe, but doesn't seem disasterous either.

Adore the book. But laughed so hard when I heard this was going to be in 3D... I haven't been bothered about this adaptation since...

^ Unless that was a load of rubbish and it's not in 3D, then ignoreeeeeeeee.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
I liked the book, but I hate Tobey Maguire more than anyone, so we'll see how it turns out.
I'm concerned about Tobey as well. I think he's absolutely horrid, and not at all what I had in mind for the character of Nick Carraway.

Also, I'm not too happy about Isla Fisher - she's another strange choice IMO.

Baz Lurhmann? ****ing hell.

The book was really very good.I have read it & i liked it very much.Let us see how the film will be.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
The Great Gatsby gets a release date

Oct 15, 2011

Coming Soon is reporting that Warner Bros. will be releasing The Great Gatsby on December 25th, 2012. The film is based on F. Scott Fitzgerald that follows “would-be writer Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) as he leaves the Midwest and comes to New York City in the spring of 1922, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz and bootleg kings. Chasing his own American Dream, Nick lands next door to a mysterious, party-giving millionaire, Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio), and across the bay from his cousin, Daisy (Carey Mulligan), and her philandering, blue-blooded husband, Tom Buchanan (Joel Edgerton). It is thus that Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the super rich, their illusions, loves and deceits. As Nick bears witness, within and without the world he inhabits, he pens a tale of impossible love, incorruptible dreams and high-octane tragedy, and holds a mirror to our own modern times and struggles.”

Maybe this time it will be watchable.
But I am looking forward to how Di Caprio will perform. I believe it's coming out on te same day as Djiano Unchained whicth he is also in.

Can't say I'm looking forward to this one. I didn't care for the novel or for the 1974 movie (which looked to me more like a toothpaste commercial than a movie), but I'll watch it for DiCaprio.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Can't say I'm looking forward to this one. I didn't care for the novel or for the 1974 movie (which looked to me more like a toothpaste commercial than a movie), but I'll watch it for DiCaprio.
It doesn't really drum up feelings of excitement, does it?

I really love Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge is decent, so I might give this a go.

I hope this movie being good.

that's what she said...
OK, I know I've already comment on this BUT after re-reading all the post I feel I must say to MovieMan8877445 and FilmGirlInterrupted, HOW CAN YOU BE SUCH TOBEY HATERS?? I'm actually more so looking forward to seeing his performance over Leonardo's! I mean he's fantastic... sure there is some "off" movie roles or whatever but you can't deny that he was PERFECT in the Spiderman series. I absolutely loved him as Peter Parker/Spiderman. Especially in the 3rd with the alter-ego black spiderman personality. I mean, he can be a scum bag when he wants to. Another great proformance was in Pleasentville. It's a little bias comming from me because all the Spiderman movies and Pleasentville both fall into my "favorties" category, but seriously. I gotta back up my Tobey. If he was married and 36, he be my major celebrity crush over Shia Labeouf!

This sounds like such a great choice for a movie. I mean its always a danger that a film so rubbish that it ruins the book for you. Sometimes you just can't get it out of your head. In fact, good or bad, I don't think I've seen a film version of a book and been able to go back to seeing it how I originally pictured it.

I like Toby Macguire... he's somewhere in between Michael J Fox and a poor man's Jude Law (granted, a lot of people don't like them either).