Joel and Ethan Coen's True Grit

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
They don't show much, but what they show looks and sounds very close to the original flick.

The trailer looks really good... I agree with Mark, I was expecting a whole new take, but it still looks a lot like the original film.

But then again I haven't read the book, so I won't be able to say much..
I haven't seen Rooster Cogburn, is it any good?

Also, just learned that Warren Oates played Rooster Cogburn in a TV movie sequel...
sadly I can neither find a trailer or a pic of Oates wearing an eyepatch.

I'm blown away by that first trailer. Jeff Bridges in a Coen Bros. directed Western? .......

Semper Fooey
The Coen Bros were doing their usual baloney. Remember when they claimed Fargo was a true story until some journalist actually tried to find the case and the story changed to a composite of true cases, which meant they made it up? So then they claimed True Grit wasn't a remake but an adaptation of the novel, even though the Wayne movie follows the book? It may be different in that the movie (and the novel) had a lot of humor and the trailer looks grim, but who knows until it comes out?

Here is the first official theatrical trailer:

Very excited!

Semper Fooey
That looks like the John Wayne except with less humor.

I'm not excited.

Semper Fooey
I read in another forum she loses her arm in the book and that other guy doesn't die in the novel. That presumably will be true in the new version. But otherwise same story with Bridges being directed based on the trailer to be too grim. Not his fault if that is true because he can be funny and do Cogburn in the Wayne manner. The Coens probably didn't want that so this film will look different.

Matt Damon is an improvement on Glen Campbell, and it would be nice if the film keeps the Johnny Cash song. The original certainly has humor but it's not really a comedy. What's the last western comedy released anyway?

Semper Fooey
Glenn Campbell sucked and it was good he wasn't around for the whole movie. The Wayne had a great rousing score. I'm not hearing anything memorable in the trailer.

Semper Fooey

I hope the remake turns out well, but the comparison of the two trailers the original looks more exciting and funnier.

Glenn Campbell sucked and it was good he wasn't around for the whole movie. The Wayne had a great rousing score. I'm not hearing anything memorable in the trailer.
The best thing about the original True Grit was the little time Robert Duval was on screen. Campbell was no actor and neither was the girl playing Mattie. A wooden Indian could have read her lines with more feeling and less stiffness.

Semper Fooey
The best thing about the original True Grit was the little time Robert Duval was on screen. Campbell was no actor and neither was the girl playing Mattie. A wooden Indian could have read her lines with more feeling and less stiffness.
I thought Kim Darby was fine. The stiff, formal delivery was the character she was playing. Judging from the trailer in the new version, the new girl is playing even more stiffly than Darby.

She was religious and phrased her words based on the way she was taught to read, and I'm sure that she learned to read from the Bible. That's the only film where Kim Darby ever spoke like that. Director Henry Hathaway was an action veteran who started making movies in 1932. If he didn't like her performance, he would have demanded a replacement.

I just saw a trailer for this today during the football games today.

WOW!

This looks like it will be phenominal. I can't believe how good Jeff Bridges looks in this film. This could be his best movie yet.

I only go to the movies for real promising movies. This will be one of them. Can't wait.

The Coen brothers are great.

Here's the new trailer they showed.

Semper Fooey
That's a much better trailer than the previous one, the main difference a better soundtrack. The music was listless in the previous trailer. But this looks even closer to the John Wayne movie, with some humor coming through that was missing in the previous teaser.

I usually like Jeff Bridges, so this movie has that going for it. This is one of those remakes that I don't see the point of, though. True Grit is a certified classic and pretty much THE movie people think of when they hear the name John Wayne. In my opinion, it's one of those movies that should be left alone.