Joel and Ethan Coen's True Grit

Tools    

Semper Fooey
Just saw on the news that Coen Bros. were shooting a scene in & outside a power plant.
So I'm guessing the movie is set in the current timeline.
That doesn't sound like good news. That is not a story you can easily contemporize.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Might be interesting. I may watch it. I enjoy the Coen Brothers, but unlike some, I don't swear by them, nor pay tithe in their church. However, since I think the original is a mess of a film and seems more like a vehicle for John Wayne to be John Wayne than a captivating story, I may actually smile at this remake.

And yes I know how taboo remakes can be with film-snobs.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

If the Coens direct it, I'll watch it. Doesn't matter what it is.
This sums it up for me.

Theyd have to try hard to screw this formula up, and I dont think the Coens are gonna pull a Tim Burton and fail.

They better not set iin modern times though... They have the talent to sell it if they did. Ill give them a chance, but Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn might net him another oscar - for realz!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No Country for Old Men is a "classic" modern western, so it would be fun and better still, hopefully exciting, to see them tweak the traditional western. Maybe the power plant scene is their homage to the ending of Blazing Saddles. Let's hope, although I'm sure it says somewhere in this thread when it's set.

I'm not certain, but I believe this is a pure western. I read the film will be closer to the book than the original and the story is told through Mattie's POV.

The old power plant may have sets built inside of it, or something. Or maybe it's being used as a crew housing facility while they film around it. Not certain though.

Roger Deakins has a website where he answers some questions. Mostly, techical questions, but there is some info about True Grit on his website.

You can find Roger's website online by simply typing in his name to your search engine. He has a forum.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I don't know. True Grit is about John Wayne to me. It was his film. His moment. His swan song.

I'm saying all this in that old lady whiny voice....

I may not even go see it. It's like messing with a treasured memory. It even strikes me as arrogant on the part of the Coens.

If its Jeff Bridges in the lead directed by the Coen brothers I'm seeing it.

I don't know. True Grit is about John Wayne to me. It was his film. His moment. His swan song.

I'm saying all this in that old lady whiny voice....

I may not even go see it. It's like messing with a treasured memory. It even strikes me as arrogant on the part of the Coens.
You'll see it ... AND LIKE IT

Semper Fooey
They always say that. This version will be closer to the book. Usually when they say that, like in the Downey Holmes and Coppola's Dracula, it's further from the book, not closer. But I'll give the Coens the benefit of the doubt, even though the Wayne True Grit followed the book fairly closely.

The Coens have an amazing ability to capture the feel of the desert southwest. Tumbleweed in Lebowski, Leonard Smalls on the Highway in Raising Arizona, Tommy Lee's dream recap in No Country. Basically if it's Coen brothers I'll watch it. If it's Coens and set in the desert I'll be there opening day.

Movies Music Girls Gear and Beer