New SPAWN movie

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Via Twitter, I found this:

Originally Posted by Todd McFarlane's Twitter
MOVIE: I've officially begun writing the SPAWN MOVIE screenplay. The story has been in my head for 7 or 8 years. Will continue to update.
Now, I hate to post with such little info about this, and I don't even know why, there is so much better comics out there besides SPAWN (Invincible) but I certainly always welcome a new adaptation to have people reading more of them.

Here's all I know: again via Twitter:

The movie idea is neither a recap or continuation. It is a stand alone story that will be R-rated. Creepy and scary.

From what he's said before, it's a 're-imaging' of the first film and he really wants Leonardo Di Caprio in it (though I can't remember whether he wanted him as Spawn or not) but doesn't think that he has any chance of making that happen. But that was about 3 months ago.

Some more info:
Yes, the tone of this SPAWN movie will be for a more older audience. Like the film DEPARTED.
Interesting comparisation to The Departed.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Somehow, I can't see Leo as Spawn. That's probably just me, however.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

You want to post like me?
Al Simmons is a buffed up black dude. Dicaprio is a skinny white guy. I know that Jackson's character in Iron Man was originally white, but to go from a black army guy to Leo Dicaprio is quite a leap. I don't see it at all. I'm not saying that the character ought to be black, but at least believable as a skilled veteran transformed by the devil.
If they bring back the clown, it's gonna be interresting to see who lands that part. That character has room for a lot of great acting potential, much like Ledger's The Joker.
Billy Kincaid could be interresting if a talented actor got the part as well.

Al Simmons is a buffed up black dude. Dicaprio is a skinny white guy. I know that Jackson's character in Iron Man was originally white,.
Yes, the Marvel 616 Fury is white (see Secret Warriors) but Marvel from the Ultimate Universe (which is kind of f*ked up right now due to Ultimatum) Nick Fury was based off Sam Jackson and if Fury was ever going to be in a movie, Jackson would play him. Just so ya know.

"The movie idea is neither a recap or continuation. It is a stand alone story that will be R-rated. Creepy and scary."

That sounds good to me, that's what Spawn is all about, the subject matter is dark. It needs room for violence and horror.

The 90s movie wasn't very good but these days there is so much attention towards superheros that it will probably get the funding and focus it deserves. The only thing that bothers me is that with so many super hero movies in rotation it might blend into the scenery.

More updates:

Originally Posted by Todd McFarlane's Twitter
Not planning on having Michael back in Spawn. The current story has Spawn as more of a ghost type figure, not superhero.
Now I'm kind of wondering what this means. So I tweeted McFarlane and hope to get a reply on this.

I must say that it was kind of the first well made, serious, comic book movie, next to Batman, and I uh actually liked it.

Employee of the Month
For real? It bored me like "hell". There`s is so much spirit in McFarlanes comic novels. And the movie just didn`t get it. Pretty ordinary, cheap looking stuff (personal opinion).

Well it has been years since a midnight viewing of it. All I remember is thinking that it wasn't bad. I'll have to re-watch.

You want to post like me?
I saw the old Spawn movie and didn't hate it. Sure it wasn't good but it was entertaining. A whole lot of special effects. I mean not good special effects but they sure were entertaining.

Kind of like my guilty pleasure, Mortal Kombat.

When in doubt, hit in the nads.