The Thing (1982) Gets A Prequel

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
So for those of those who have seen John Carpenter's The Thing, (Watch HERE if you have Netflix) remember how the dog and the presumably pissed Norwegians just kind of shows up? Well Matthijs van Heijningen JR. is taking on the task of directing what happens, before that. In the Norwegian camp, Ron Moore , producer of Battlestar Galactica is writing, which I think is a good thing. Because look at BSG's "final cylon" event, it's much like The Thing. So if we have to have this movie, I do think he is a good choice. It's being produced by Eric Newman and Marc Abraham and David Foster will be the executive producer. No info on cast, release date, or much else

Interesting. Really, really love The Thing and actually don't mind the idea of a prequel. 'Course, we'll have a pretty good idea of what happens, but it strikes me as a pretty sensible way to continue the story. I dig on a fair amount of what Ron Moore does, too, so that bodes well for it.

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

You ready? You look ready.
Genius idea. If they royally screw it up it shouldn't piss off too many fans of The Thing. However, I also have high hopes for this prequel.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yeah, I would much rather a prequel than a remake. That being said, I sure hope it turns out alright.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Love the 1982 version, and I agree with everyone else in saying that a remake is out of the question.

A prequel, if done well, would answer a lot of questions that leave the viewer scratching their head at the beginning of The Thing.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Isn't the video game a prequel ?
I believe the video game takes place after the 1982 film. It has been a while since I've played though. From what I reminisce; the plot is about military rescue team investigating the deaths of the same men at the same U.S. Outpost that was the setting of the 1982 film.

I also vaguely recollect the main character of the video game finding the R.J. MacReady recording from the 1982 film. I think they used a different voice actor for the recording in the game, though I'm moderately positive that it follows the same storyline.

...as for the idea of a prequel: I like it. Both the original and remake of The Thing are among my favorites. The idea of a Thing trilogy sounds nice. Though, I've heard people chatting about another remake/sequel/prequel of The Thing for years. Quite honestly, I doubt it will transpire anytime soon. I'm not very accustomed with the names that Lennon mentioned in the original post, but from what I'm deciphering they are pretty reliable. If it does arise soon I will be anxiously awaiting a release.

I read an article about this a week or two ago on Bloody Disgusting, personally if you read the article that I read it sounded more like a remake than the prequel.

In the Beginning...
I believe the video game takes place after the 1982 film. It has been a while since I've played though. From what I reminisce; the plot is about military rescue team investigating the deaths of the same men at the same U.S. Outpost that was the setting of the 1982 film.

I also vaguely recollect the main character of the video game finding the R.J. MacReady recording from the 1982 film. I think they used a different voice actor for the recording in the game, though I'm moderately positive that it follows the same storyline.
This is true, and there are other connections as well. I actually addressed this in an earlier post HERE, from which I've pasted stuff below:

In the X-box game, the player takes control of a search-and-rescue team sent to the area to look for survivors and investigate. The first scenario of the game takes the player to what is left of the base camp from the film (complete with the icebox alien thing, Blair's hidden spacecraft, MacReady's recorded message, etc). Also included in this area is the wooden awning from the end of the film where MacReady and Childs sit down and share a bottle of whisky. Only when the player arrives, Childs' frozen body is sitting upright in the same position the film left him, while MacReady is missing.

MacReady does make an appearance, however. During the final boss fight at the end of the game, a helicopter appears and you jump on in order to shoot the big-alien-monster-whatever-thing from above. Your character asks the pilot for his name, and he responds with something like, "R.J. MacReady, helicopter pilot, US Outpost #31." Pretty cool.
Also, according to IMDB's trivia page for The Thing...

At a horror convention Q&A session in 2008, Keith David (Childs) was asked if he ever knew who, at the very end of the movie, was infected with the alien. He smiled and said, "Well, I don't know about (Kurt Russell), but it sure as hell wasn't me."

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Interesting. Really, really love The Thing and actually don't mind the idea of a prequel. 'Course, we'll have a pretty good idea of what happens, but it strikes me as a pretty sensible way to continue the story. I dig on a fair amount of what Ron Moore does, too, so that bodes well for it.

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.
It would be cool if they would use the same style of special effects, but I doubt that would happen. It'll probably be CGI and they'll end up looking like stuff on I Am Legend.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

The idea sounds great. Definite theater seeing. And I agree that the old school special effects from the 1982 film would be awesome to see in the new film, but more than likely, CGI will be majorly used in it.

Interesting. Really, really love The Thing...
Me too.
TheThing is cool.

...Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.
Do you mean, The Crawling Eye?
I love The Crawling Eye too.

"My bitchy neighbor without make-up"

Well: so is global warming and prostitution, since when does that matter?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Isn't this old news?
Well I didn't see a thread like this, so I figured post away.

By the by

If you don't have Netflix and want to watch The Thing online you can do so at IMDB HERE

Lots to see there should you be so inclined.

The catch is you have to watch an occasional commercial (not like on TV) and the film isn't edited for content.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
By the by

If you don't have Netflix and want to watch The Thing online you can do so at IMDB HERE

Lots to see there should you be so inclined.

The catch is you have to watch an occasional commercial (not like on TV) and the film isn't edited for content.
Nah...I'll just pop the DVD in...

I'm behind the idea of a prequel or sequel, though definitely not a remake. Pity they aren't going to use Carpenter's script though.