Josh Brolin - Has he found his niche or will he hit a stumble with W?

Tools    

I must admit that I have always kinda liked Josh Brolin from when I first
saw him in Hollow Man. Obviously I watched The Goonies when I was a wee kid, but I had didn't know anything about him until I did research after Hollow Man. He isn't an amazing actor or anything, but he definitely has a strong charm about him. He's very charismatic despite the absolute *beep* films he has done in the. past.

I'm generally quite happy that he is being noticed for once and actually do VERY good films. He's clearly evolved as an actor and his charisma is still intact. Theres just something cool about the way he confidently approaches his roles and delivers his lines.

However, this new film of his. Y'know, the BIG one that has oscar written all over it. The one where the name 'Josh Brolin' appears before the title itself...W. This is basically his REAL chance to shine. Although he was arguably the main character in No Country For Old Men, (where despite his good work, was overshawdowed by a very creepy and dominant Javier Bardem) this is his first official lead in the 'Josh Brolin revamped' stage of his career.

I really want him to do well with this role and let the character consume him, but I have mixed views from watching the trailer. Clearly I need to see the finished product to make a final assessment. But I really want him to stand out because I like the *beep* But only in a non gay way

What do you guys think of him and what do you predict for his upcoming big time role?

We'll have to see over the next couple years now that his opportunities in higher profile films with good directors is increasing, but with his body of work already, yeah, I like him. The first time I really took notice of him, post-Goonies, was as the armpit-licking, Bi-curious former flame of Patricia Arquette's character in David O. Russell's Flirting with Disaster (1996) and as Ewan McGregor's suspicious best friend in Ole Bornedal's Americanized remake of his own Nightwatch (1997). I kinda wondered why he didn't make it bigger faster, but it's probably just as well that he matured a bit because it made him the perfect choice for No Country for Old Men, seemingly out of nowhere. Considering he also had small parts in American Gangster, In the Valley of Elah and Grindhouse last year, he broke out in a big, BIG way in 2007.

Yes, starring as George W. Bush in Oliver Stone's sure-to-be-controversial biopic W. is going to get him lots of attention, but I'm more excited to see him as Dan White in Gus Van Sant's Milk with Sean Penn.

But he also gets to regularly bang Diane Lane, so I envy him to the point of white-hot hatred.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Nice, direct and honest post there, Holden, although I may have formed a crush on Diane Lane before you, but that doesn't count. The age card works both ways, I realize that. I do remember lauding this Brolin sucka at this very site, but I'm too lazy to mention anything other than his classic Goonies line about "pissing in his own face". Even so, I did pump him up or pimp him last year. You really think he can do White better than W.? Either way, I'm looking for an Oscar nom.

Well his most successful roles were from Planet Terror and No Country for Old Men. However, the upcoming film W. will probally knock those two out of the water.

reservoir dogs circa 1881
i was gonna agree that he has a strong likeability factor until you dropped the diane lane bomb ive lived in blissful ignorance of that fact until now may you burn in hell brolin BURN!anyway i hope he doesnt become like his goonie sibling sean astin and get all big headed [see goonie dvd commentary] main reason being i hope he can be coaxed back to reprise his role as brandon in the proposed goonie sequel

But he also gets to regularly bang Diane Lane, so I envy him to the point of white-hot hatred.
I could have lived the rest of my life in blissful ignorance without finding this out and probably been happier for it. Thanks I think...

Damn it, now I've got that song stuck in my head.

Welcome to the human race...
Geez, some of you guys seem way too hung up on this whole Diane Lane thing.

He was the main character in NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN and gave a solid performance, but I think he was WAY better in his supporting role in MILK...that performance was absolutely splendid.