Would you watch a film by a filmmaker who has committed horrible acts?

Tools    

I just thought it was a very interesting piece of Hollywood hypocrisy.
While I agree with you, this, ultimately, comes down to us, the comsumer. If people, most notably those in the intended demographic, thought as much/badly about Tyson as they do Gibson, he wouldn't be anywhere near the film either. It's all about the benjamins.

I guess it depends. Their goal is to make money. If they thought it'd harm those chances, they wouldn't do it. That being the case, it reflects more poorly on us. Don't think that Hollywood has any morals.

I've seen the Jeepers Creepers films by Victor Salva and loved them, all this before learning about the director. That said, I watched them again and it didn't change my mind about the quality or entertainment value of the films. I've watched Polanski films since he left this country and liked some of them. I try not to judge these people, but it's hard not to think of their crimes, particulary the two I've mentioned, involving underage people.

Salva was sentenced to three years in prison. He served 15 months of the sentence before being paroled, and is registered as a sex offender. So, in the eyes of the law, he's done he's time and is still marked by his past. Polanski is still in exile...so..I don't know where I'm going with this but I'll probably watch films of theirs in the future if they intrigue me enough and leave the judging up to the law.

I find it really difficult to separate the history of the artist from the project... Sometimes films/books will be totally ruined for me. There's just so much of them invested into the film. It's a really tricky one.

Yes. Committing terrible acts doesn't excuse the filmmaker from having an artistic view that I can or can't agree with. I am not going to either defend or attack Polanski for the crimes he supposedly committed. This is not my job as a viewer and I don't know him personally, nor his deep motivations. I happen to like his style and artistic themes and that's enough for me.

What about the argument that it's one person out of hundreds and hundreds who work on a film? Victor Salva is a paedophile who directed the film but what about the others who worked on it.

Salva has always bothered me, why is he not in prison for a very long time? but instead out and allowed to continue making films. I haven't read much about it.
that was my thoughts as well.

I guess I just assumed Roman Polanski was the inspiration of this thread and I don't think anything he did has changed his status as a filmmaker. His personal life has nothing to do with his talent and I seriously doubt that people are going to just boycott ever watching ROSEMARY'S BABY or THE PIANIST again just because Polanski directed them.

It doesn't matter if a movie director has molested and murdered one-hundred children, I'd still watch his work, and enjoy it if I like. I'm not funny like others, and having a disability I don't suffer the same obsessive ******** others here tend to suffer with.

I've thought about it and... while I find them disgusting people, I can't deny their talent or my liking a movie solely because of one person involved, even a director. There are plenty enough examples of people in every field/art that are bad imo but good at what they do.

It has an effect, though. It taints my memory of a film, knowing what I know. And it makes me more cautious about seeing their future work, so a movie I ordinarily would see early instead gets shuffled to the back of my mind and put on hold because I just don't want to think of the sick f*ck who helped create it. I can't just watch the movie without some awareness of them lessening my joy of movie-watching.

I'm also much more reluctant to discuss any film the person was involved in. Who they are and their actions does have an effect for me. It just does.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Is another indirect jibe at Polanski?

I would say why not! That is his work, crime is his bad. I wont watch the crimes!

Because watching his films supports him financially.

The question is not whether someone's personal misdeeds can metaphysically alter the artistic value of their work. Obviously it can't. It's whether or not there's a moral issue in supporting the work of such a person.

It doesn't matter if a movie director has molested and murdered one-hundred children, I'd still watch his work, and enjoy it if I like.
This is pretty much impossible to reconcile with this post, in which you cheer Yasashii's (correct, IMO) observation about how our behavior affects everyone.

Ok.. I will stream it!