Skepsis' 100

→ in
Tools    

Well this is a somewhat disappointing list so far. Props for Breakfast Club and maybe Kickass. I've still yet to see The Straight Story, but the rest an unimpressive.

Also, even though i'm glad you're not just listing random stuff, you need to do better than putting a quote from the film underneath a random pic. Think about your list better, man. We'll respect you more for it. See myself, Brodinski, Honeykid, Pyro and mark F's lists for reference.
I'm sorry I'm not living up to your standards. I'm sorry if I don't have time to write something for every movie I include. I'm sorry you seem to think this is so damned important, rather than the bit of fun it's supposed to be. You put yourself out there when you do something like this, and it's nice not to be made to feel sh*tty about it for no good reason.

I honestly have no idea where you get off with this judgmental, self-righteous crap. It's my list, I put what I want on it - if you don't like it, I really don't care. I don't "need" to do anything, much less anything anyone tells me I should do, especially in regard to something as lighthearted and ultimately trivial as this.

I neither need nor want your respect, and try to speak for yourself in that regard - lots of others seem to be enjoying my list for what it is.

You should try being a nicer person - people will respect you more for it.

You know you're getting + rep from me for The Straight Story. But thowing in The Breakfast Club and Fargo into this set ensured it. I've only seen it once, but I liked Kinsey. I didn't think it was anything special, but considering it stars Liam Neeson, I was surprised to like it as much as I did. I still don't see Bill Condon bettering Gods & Monsters, which is a shame, but that's quite a benchmark to set. Up?!?!? *sigh*

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Yeah settle it down a bit Prestige. While it would be nice had Skepsis added in a little bit of reasoning for his picks (as I did in my far superior list! Now there's one you should have cited as an examplePrestige) there are better ways to go about bringing it up. You could have suggested it or even asked if it was possible, instead of just ragging on him for not doing it and making it seem like he hasn't lived up to the board's standards or something.

Anyway from that last set the only one I really love is The Breakfast Club, though I did really enjoy Up. Not seen either Kinsey or Straight Story. Fargo I have watched but not for many years and was quite disappointed with it at the time. Just like Big Lebowski it's one I'll need to give another chance to someday.

Hey, if you want me to tell you why I like the movies so much, just ask. Spark a discussion. That's what these lists are for, after all.

And just by the way, I was planning on possibly doing write-ups for the top 50. We'll see.

I'm sorry I'm not living up to your standards. I'm sorry if I don't have time to write something for every movie I include. I'm sorry you seem to think this is so damned important, rather than the bit of fun it's supposed to be. You put yourself out there when you do something like this, and it's nice not to be made to feel sh*tty about it for no good reason.

I honestly have no idea where you get off with this judgmental, self-righteous crap. It's my list, I put what I want on it - if you don't like it, I really don't care. I don't "need" to do anything, much less anything anyone tells me I should do, especially in regard to something as lighthearted and ultimately trivial as this.

I neither need nor want your respect, and try to speak for yourself in that regard - lots of others seem to be enjoying my list for what it is.

You should try being a nicer person - people will respect you more for it.

I'm not sure what prompted such a harsh response from you. I just re-read my previous message, and maybe I could have worded things better but you've taken my criticism a lot more personally than you had to.

It was not my intention to cause offence or make you feel a certain way. I guess after the effort I went through with my thread, and seeing other peoples thread, I felt that the standards had been set and that people should aspire to them when making such a list.

You seem like a nice kid, and I certainly don't want to get on the wrong side of you, but when you do a list like this, you are inviting all sorts of criticism, both good, encouraging and negative. I'm sure your list will get better, I honestly believe that. But for now, it's not too hot. That's all i'm saying.

I'm not sure what prompted such a harsh response from you. I just re-read my previous message, and maybe I could have worded things better but you've taken my criticism a lot more personally than you had to.

It was not my intention to cause offence or make you feel a certain way. I guess after the effort I went through with my thread, and seeing other peoples thread, I felt that the standards had been set and that people should aspire to them when making such a list.
Ok. Well, obviously I don't agree that there has been a standard set that everyone should be aspiring to. Some people just want to list their movies, others will do what I'm doing and make it look decent and maybe start adding comments later, others, like you and JayDee, go to a great deal of effort and that's very much appreciated by everyone - but that doesn't mean that everyone has to do the same. Some people don't have the time, some just don't want to, and that's fine. Some people like to play sports - doesn't mean they have to strive to do it professionally.

You seem like a nice kid, and I certainly don't want to get on the wrong side of you, but when you do a list like this, you are inviting all sorts of criticism, both good, encouraging and negative. I'm sure your list will get better, I honestly believe that. But for now, it's not too hot. That's all i'm saying.
I'm a little confused here. Criticism about the movies I pick? Will my list get better if I pick "better" movies? Because I don't think that's what doing this is about. Everyone likes different stuff, and if you don't like a movie I include then that's fine, feel free to point it out as others already have, but I don't think it makes my list inherently worse. I think making one of these is about encouraging friendly discussion and making a statement in terms of what you like and don't like, imperfections and all. I welcome disagreement and argument but in the form of friendly banter, not harsh judgments.

Anyway. Sorry if I took what you said in the wrong way. I'd love to just forget about it so I can get on with my list - I've had fun putting it together and delivering it so far. I implore everyone to take notice of the final line of my introductory post.

More entries tomorrow guys.

You know you're getting + rep from me for The Straight Story. But thowing in The Breakfast Club and Fargo into this set ensured it. I've only seen it once, but I liked Kinsey. I didn't think it was anything special, but considering it stars Liam Neeson, I was surprised to like it as much as I did. I still don't see Bill Condon bettering Gods & Monsters, which is a shame, but that's quite a benchmark to set. Up?!?!? *sigh*
Thanks! I thought Kinsey was immensely thought-provoking, in a lot of ways I definitely wouldn't have expected - its comments on the dynamic between humanity and nature and its implications, in particular, really got me thinking in a major way.

I'll have to check out Gods & Monsters. Kinsey isn't really what I would call a "directors film" but it certainly didn't do his reputation with me any harm.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'd rep you twice for Up if I could. I haven't seen Kinsey yet, but like Honeykid, I loved Gods and Monsters, so it's something I want to see.

I really want to see this list.I was planning to see Network for ages but when you gave a 4.5 in Move Tab thread I finally got myself to watch it and ended up loving it. I also finally watched Star Wars which,I believe, you also mentioned somewhere.So,I'll be looking forward to the list.

I'm not a huge fan of animation so Finding Nemo and Up left me emotionless.
I like Fargo,Happy Gilmore and Kick-Ass.
Haven't seen the others but they don't look very interesting,except for Breakfast Club.
Thanks, and I'm glad you liked Network. Who knows, it might find a spot here.

I like the list so far.

Some choices there I wouldn't have picked myself but that's the point of a personal 100. You get to choose your own... hence my own list that caused a stir when I made it

Which I then changed around for some more weird choices anyway, but never mind.

Keep it going Skep!

Thanks, Rodent. Here's the next set.

90. The Artist
Michel Hazanavicius, 2011
Jean Dujardin, Bérénice Bejo & John Goodman

"Look at what you've become. You've become proud! You've become stupid!"

89. Pleasantville
Gary Ross, 1998
Tobey Maguire, Jeff Daniels & Reese Witherspoon

"Well, it looks like we're going to have another sunny day - high 72, low 72, and not a cloud in the sky."

88. Cool Runnings
Jon Turteltaub, 1993
John Candy, Leon & Doug E. Doug

"Oh, yeah, just one little drawback to this delightful winter sport. The high-speed crash.
Ooh! That hurt. Always remember, your bones will not break in a bobsled. No, no, no. They shatter."

87. Punch-Drunk Love
Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002
Adam Sandler, Emily Watson & Philip Seymour Hoffman

"You can go to places in the world with pudding. That's funny."

86. Chinatown
Roman Polanski, 1974
Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway & John Huston

"Can you believe it? We're in the middle of a drought, and the water commissioner drowns. Only in LA."

Awesome set! The Artist, Punch-Drunk-Love and Chinatown are three wonderful films! I haven't seen the other two, but Pleasantville is on my watchlist.

Awesome set! The Artist, Punch-Drunk-Love and Chinatown are three wonderful films! I haven't seen the other two, but Pleasantville is on my watchlist.
Thank you! I feel like most Best Picture winners take a bit of a backlash, but I think The Artist is one of the genuinely great ones.

Chinatown is, of course, brilliant, and I really liked Pleasantville (one of the 90's films I recommend watching if you haven't) and Cool Runnings is... Well, it's ok. It's watchable and, therefore, you get + rep.

I've not seen the other two. I might end up watching The Artist some day.

Chinatown is an all time favorite, could very well be my over all number 1 film eventually. The Artist is based purely off style and is grossly overrated IMo, check out Silent Movie

Chinatown is, of course, brilliant, and I really liked Pleasantville (one of the 90's films I recommend watching if you haven't) and Cool Runnings is... Well, it's ok. It's watchable and, therefore, you get + rep.
Thanks. Cool Runnings is a childhood favorite and I still love to revisit it. It's very silly but still makes me laugh after a lot of viewings.