Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Not Enough Time
Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

This was very enjoyable......

you didn't rate it!! i loved this movie and i'll just say i give it an 8.5/10, it got a little sentimental and corny, but in a good way that didn't ruin the movie for me as it often does.

Anyway, last two movies I watched-
Dark Horse (2011) - 6.5/10 - i liked the movie alot but the ending was completely vague and angered me. it didn't explain things i thought were going to be explained, and didn't reach any type of conclusion or have closure of the story. but everything else was really good.

Moonrise Kingdom - 8.5/10 - great story, directing as usual, and i think the actors were unorthodox (except Frances McDormand, but i was glad to see her in something besides a Coen brothers film). it wasn't as good as i was expecting though, but i was comparing it to Royal Tenanbaums which is one of my favorite movies

This is just about everything I want in a movie. I was literally holding my breath almost the entire film. Time for more Greenaway. I cannot believe it took me this long.

Dredd 6.5-7 / 10
Not as good as I was expecting but when is it ever? The floor being levelled by gattling type guns was a ruiner; there's also a scene which seems to promise of a high impact, slow-mo portrait shot of a body hitting the ground from altitude but the shot cuts to a head-on from the ground (as though transparent surface) of the head splitting open. Irritation plus!

Cabin In The Woods - 4 stars out of 5.

Saw it in the cinema a year ago, but just watched it with my flat on blu ray. As good as I remember. Whedon/Goddard writing at their best. Fran Kranz is hilarious in this.

Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

This was very enjoyable......
I know. I sometimes find it very hard to just give a film a number, so I just try to 'rate' them with words in that case.

This is just about everything I want in a movie. I was literally holding my breath almost the entire film. Time for more Greenaway. I cannot believe it took me this long.
That's one of his most accessible movies. Check out The Draughtsman's Contract. My favorite is Prospero's Books, but it helps if you know The Tempest.

Not that impressed? I think that's the best of Imamura's films from the early-to-mid 60s (until Profound Desire of the Gods, that is). If you haven't already, maybe give The Ballad of Narayama a try?

Not that impressed? I think that's the best of Imamura's films from the early-to-mid 60s (up to Profound Desire of the Gods). If you haven't already, maybe give The Ballad of Narayama a try?
Moderately impressed, it was close to a 3.5/5.

I like the Ballad of Narayama a lot.
Still have Insect Woman and Intentions of Murder to watch.

I think my rating would be around
(which for me is "more-than-moderately impressive"), but it's been 6 years since I saw it. Since I noticed you've been enjoying Oshima's films, have you seen The Sun's Burial? Feels a bit closer to those early Imamuras (pimps and prostitutes, but no pigs), but with lovely color cinematography.

That's one of his most accessible movies. Check out The Draughtsman's Contract. My favorite is Prospero's Books, but it helps if you know The Tempest.
I'm watching Drowning by Numbers next, and then A Zed & Two Noughts, but I'll go look for downloads of those two right now. I'm open to any and all Greenaway after The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. It was ****ing brilliant.

I'm watching Drowning by Numbers next, and then A Zed & Two Noughts, but I'll go look for downloads of those two right now. I'm open to any and all Greenaway after The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. It was ****ing brilliant.
I also liked The Pillow Book a lot. Not as much as The Cook..., though.

Antichrist (2009)

It's hard to write something about this film after you just saw it for the first time, because it has a very heavy concept, but I'll try anyway.

It certainly is beautifully shot and it has an interesting storyline with quite some depth. I recognized some deep layers within the story. First of all it obviously has some bible references, but behind that there are themes like egoism, depression (obviously), guilt, the catholic church and its history, the nature of men and women, etc.

I must warn you. The film has some 'disturbing' scenes and are certainly not for people who can't handle those kind of graphic scenes. For me some of those scenes really had some significance, though.
The scene where 'She' cut off her clitoris was particularly interesting (and I don't mean graphically speaking), because first of all it was showing her guilt towards the whole incident in the beginning of the movie. It was because of her enjoyment of sexual intercourse that she didn't save her son. Making herself immune to that kind of pleasure was her last desperate attempt of expelling the evil that was taking her over. When you really want to grave deep you can even say that it is a metaphor of the (former) contempt of the Church for the whole matter (sex solely for pleasure). You can even think about abortion during that prologue scene, but that may be pushing it too far.

It is certainly a very interesting movie to analyze, but if you're not a fan of graphically disturbing scenes you should stay away from it, because it is a big part of the film (certainly in the third act).

My opinion is that Lars Von Trier is a very gifted director and storyteller, who is not afraid to take risks. The next film I'm going to watch of his hand will probably be Dogville. I'm already looking forward to it.

P.S. Visually it was also extremely well made:

WARNING: "Large pictures" spoilers below

A quick question for everyone who posts in this thread regularly (which I'm sure has been asked before): why don't you post your movie ratings in the Movie Tab? It's been an on-going thread for years and pretty much has the exact same idea as this one.

A quick question for everyone who posts in this thread regularly (which I'm sure has been asked before): why don't you post your movie ratings in the Movie Tab? It's been an on-going thread for years and pretty much has the exact same idea as this one.
I look upon this more as a 'small review'-thread, with more room for discussion (because it's part of the discussion forum).

The movie tab topic is more like:

Casablanca (1942) -

Chinatown (1974) -

Barbie in the Nutcracker (2001)

etc.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Not really. I post that way since my stroke but earlier I wrote in-depth (briefish) reviews there with discussion.

Not really. I post that way since my stroke but earlier I wrote in-depth (briefish) reviews there with discussion.
I'm only a member since december (that rhymes), so I couldn't know that.

Thanks for your review of Antichrist, Cobpyth