Interesting Article about the Theater Chains.

Tools    

From the Dallas Morning News:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/2...s_26bus.A.html

I thought it was interesting and thought maybe some people here might think so, too.

Didn't see it.
I've been reading a lot lately in different places about theaters going broke. It's interesting. I've seen several here in Dallas close, but at the same time we've opened several new megaplexes.

Well, I just hope they don't close the theater I go to in Fort Worth. I don't think they will since it is almost brand new, but the place doesn't seem to get that many customers.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I personally don't really like going to the theater. The only play I have truly enjoyed was a Steve Martin play called something like "Picaso at the Lapin Agile". My step-mom knows the stage director and so we got to go backstage and stuff. It was pretty fun.

I saw this play at the Ford Theater, so I doubt there going to close that down anytime soon considering how historical it is.

We meant theaters in terms of Movie Theaters.

I don't go see plays, either, very often.

Hehe. Carmike Cinemas seems to have gone broke too - but I still see them around here. I guess they're being sold or something.

I'm not worried though - I think we'll have movies around for QUITE a long time with all the dough they're pulling in.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
What a dumb article! It makes no sense to me. Lets say they close down a small 5 screen theater, and open up a 30 screen one. I'm failing to see the lose there. Yes they will lose theater numbers, but it won't hurt the movies. And for the time that movies run for deal. The scale at which they last will evolve into a smaller scale. Instead of them lasting 8 months, they will last 8 weeks. That will just become the new standard of measurement I think.

That was a very interesting article. I think that I read a similar article in a magazine. But, I have another question for everyone: whatever happened to drive-in movies? I mean, you just don't see them around any more.

There are still some around the Western half of Pennsylvania - I've seen a few movies this way. They're okay and all, but the sound is a bit off, and the picture is annoyingly fuzzy. And obviously it's not nearly as comfortable as it is in a theatre. And you have to worry about rain.

I remember going to the Tascosa Drive-In in Amarillo, Texas when I was a kid. The Drive-Ins were already on their last legs by the time I went there, but it was kind of interesting to see. I certainly didn't see the appeal of the place.

The Tascosa Drive-In stayed opwn well into the late '80s. It may have even survived into the '90s. (Actually, the Drive-In itself is probably still there, but it's been closed for a few years).

I think there still is a Drive-In open somewhere in Texas, but I couldn't begin to tell you where.

I think they died out because people didn't want to sit in their cars and watch movies anymore. It was a novelty thing that just sort of wore off. They were never good places to watch movies.