The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Does it matter? They are equally terrible as blind buys because I hated them and they were a waste of money.

Achmed I will at least watch again.

Does it matter? They are equally terrible as blind buys because I hated them and they were a waste of money.

Achmed I will at least watch again.
Can you recognize quality even in a movie that you hate?

Can you recognize quality even in a movie that you hate?
I can admire certain aspects of any film, but "quality" as it relates to art is subjective. As are things like "excellent acting" and "thought provoking dialogue."

It honestly feels like you're not even speaking English. I can't understand.

Quality is by definition objective. If it isn't measurable, then it isn't quality.

I just can't rationalise the statement, "Quality is subjective." It makes no sense to me. What about the years of hard work and the raw natural talent that people have? What about when people study acting and are graded by their teachers?

I mean, if quality is subjective, then what grounds does anyone have to call any movie good or bad, or better or worse than any other movie?

I can't even pinpoint the source of my confusion. Even if quality is subjective it's still not equated with taste. They are two completely different things.

It honestly feels like you're not even speaking English.
You know what? I'm done with this. You can take your condescension somewhere else.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend you. And I definitely was not being condescending. It's just that I've been hearing people say that for years and I still can't figure out what they're talking about.

Master of My Domain
Sure, there are qualities that can be viewed objectively (acting, direction, production design, editing etc.) but the rest are completely subjective. We all can agree that Plan 9 From Outer Space fails greatly on a technical level, but you may or may not agree with me about it being an entertaining film.

Sure, there are qualities that can be viewed objectively (acting, direction, production design, editing etc.) but the rest are completely subjective. We all can agree that Plan 9 From Outer Space fails greatly on a technical level, but you may or may not agree with me about it being an entertaining film.
In other words, our appreciation of the art and its quality is subjective.

Legend (Brian Helgeland, 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 03/02/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Tom Hardy x 2
Rewatch: No

Full Disclosure: I don't know anything about the real Kray twins. Quite frankly, I don't care either. I don't watch movies to get lessons in history.

I watched this particular movie for one reason: a double dose of Tom Hardy. Mind you, he's no Joaquin Phoenix but he does have an undeniable ability to engage me with his raw talent and sex appeal (we'll just conveniently forget about The Dark Knight Rises for the moment) so there's no way I could pass up watching him in a double role.

I was well rewarded with a set of performances that serve as a fantastic showcase for Hardy's talent and range. How accurate these performances are to the real Krays, again, I don't know or care. But I do know that I found Hardy's Ronnie Kray to be a mesmerizing combination of the comical, the sad, and the terrifying. His Reggie Kray was even more impressive as he went from a cock sure and suave young bachelor building an empire to an unhinged madman watching his world crumble around him.

As to the more technical side of things. Being an American child of the eighties, I can't say with any confidence how well the film recreates 1960's London, but I think it does well to set a mood. The bright colors, glamorous women, sharp dressed men, and the sparkle and shine make it hard to deny the allure of that lifestyle, blood spattered and corrupt though it may be.

I've seen some people complain that the soundtrack is "uninspired" and that it took them out of the film. But I scarcely noticed the music at all, with much of it being songs that were popular at the time. I guess I could fault the soundtrack for not enhancing my experience, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film, so I won't knock it.

If I have any complaints, it's probably regarding Reggie's wife, Francis. I get that we're supposed to see how Reggie's actions destroyed her life but aside from being a pretty face she just sort of lacked substance and I failed to feel much for her. I also felt she wasn't the best choice as narrator - not that I'm usually a fan of narration anyway. I'm not sure if the fault lies in the script or in Emily Browning's performance, but either way that character didn't do the film any favors.

But this is only very minor, since Tom Hardy does the film more than enough favors to keep me engaged and entertained. I had quite a good time with this one.

(we'll just conveniently forget about *VVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRR* for the moment)
Sorry, I didn't catch that, a plane just flew over.