The Royal 100

→ in
Tools    

thx for sharing

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
"You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word."

35. The Untouchables (1987)
Exciting thriller with plenty of nail-bitter moments. Scenes drawn out the ideal amount of tension. A terrific cast all playing their fascinating and likable characters perfectly. De Palma's direction is top-notch and he creates some neat camera angles as well. Morricone's score is spine-tingling and adds a creepy touch. The storyline of Ness' fight for justice against Capone makes an excellent movie, and the script is terrific.

"Oh, I didn't know they made champagne in Idaho."

34. Cactus Flower (1969)
A hilarious and underrated comedy. While the supporting cast is great, Matthau, Hawn, and Bergman are terrific leads. Their quirky and fun characters are a blast watch. The script is packed with witty dialouge and a simple storyline soon becomes complicated. But that's what so funny to watch. Classic comedy at its best.

"You're a little man. It's not that you're short. You're...little, in the mind and in the heart."

33. People Will Talk (1951)
This often overlooked classic is certainly a favorite of mine. Cary Grant shines as the mysterious and pleasant Doctor Noah Praetorius. Jeanne Crain is his beautiful costar, and I find her to be a very unappreciated actress. This film gives deep character development with two storylines in one. Filled with great dialouge, People Will Talk also has a good message. It just leaves one smiling like Cary Grant up there.

"Luther said I could learn some things from you. I already know how to drink."

32. The Sting (1973)
My all-time favorite heist movie. The Sting stars Paul Newman and Robert Redford, who make a fantasic acting pair teaming up for the second time. Robert Shaw plays the villain Lonnegan with a fabulously evil style. George Roy Hill gives excellent direction. Script and storyline couldn't have been better. An exciting finish caps this must-see film.

"Either I'm dead right, or I'm crazy!"

31. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
A powerful film from the classic set of the great Frank Capra. Perhaps Capra's greatest work, Mr. Smith has been said that every American should watch. Strong messages and quick quips fill this screenplay. Jimmy Stewart gives yet another amazing performance as the shy and likable Smith who finds the courage to take on corrupt Washington. With a little help from Jean Arthur, who is a great match for Stewart, he inspires us all a little.

"When will then be now?"

30. Spaceballs (1987)
Just plain hilarious flick. My personal favorite Mel Brooks movie. Not only does it parody Star Wars to near-perfection, the script is filled with great jokes and one-liners. I can watch this one over and over again and still laugh. Far from a comedy of elegance, but a darn good time.

"We've got a potential nausea situation building here."

29. No Way Out (1987)
A bit different from the last one (from the same year). No Way Out started off kind of bland except for a few good points in the script. But after we've got all the information we need, things really kick off and a tense thriller begins. This movie had me on the edge of my seat. I think this is one of Costner's most impressive performances. Hackman's terrific here and Young does a lot with a small role. Patton gives possibly the cast's best as we slowly see how insane he really is.

"Dry your eyes, baby; it's out of character."

28. Notorious (1946)
The movie seemed slow the first time I watched it, but I enjoyed it more the second time around. Grant and Bergman have amazing chemistry, their love story making up half the plot of the movie. Grant's cool and suave persona comes through better here than in any other movie, and Bergman's performance is deep. The script has wit throughout its many great lines. The climatic scene in the wine cellar has my stomach in knots every time. Hitchcock perfectly draws out the end in tension, and is one of my favorite endings.

"You're lucky I'm not Gerry Ford. We'd be lying in a heap at the bottom of the stairs!"

27. My Fellow Americans (1996)
A political comedy with very few politics involved. The storyline is actually quite original with a mystery/who-dun-it sort spun into it. Jack Lemmon and James Garner make a fantastic pair and ideally use their great script.

"Apollo Creed vs. the Italian Stallion. Sounds like a damn monster movie."

26. Rocky (1976)
Stallone shows that he has terrific writing talent as well as acting in this sports classic. He creates deep and interesting characters that are portrayed flawlessly by the outstanding cast. Inspiring and overall grand film.

Up Next: The Top 25

"The bottom is loaded with nice people. Only cream and bastards rise."

25. Harper (1966)
Harper is a just plain cool movie. Several stars throughout the cast lead by Paul Newman. Harper is one of his less complex characters, but he's clever and witty, making him fun to watch. Harper, himself, is one of my favorite elements of the movie. The mystery is almost impossible to crack, but you later find that all those clues that only made sense to Harper actually make a lot of sense. You'll laugh plenty along the way because the script is great. One of my favorite mysteries.

"Would you give a f*** what kind of pants the son of a b**** who shot you was wearing?"

24. My Cousin Vinny (1992)
Courtroom drama? Not exactly. My Cousin Vinny is probably the funniest courtroom flick you'll ever see. Joe Pesci is priceless as Vinny Gambini, the tough New York lawyer who goes South to help out his cousin. Tomei is well-known for her excellent performance as his girlfriend, Mona Lisa Veto. The script is hilarious, although I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who disapproves of foul language. Still funny after repeated viewings too, and purely fun movie with an excellent ending.

"What's the matter, are you paralyzed from the neck up, or are you hurt?"

23. Romancing the Stone (1984)
Nothing falls better in the category of 80s adventure flicks than Romancing the Stone. Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner have unbeatable chemistry. They trade some very funny quips while experiencing plenty of action. The characters aren't exactly remarkable, but I do really like Turner's Joan Wilder. Of course, the storyline is rather outrageous but the witty script covers that. A fun movie that I wouldn't miss.

"Married?! Goodie two shoes and the filthy beast?!"

22. Father Goose (1964)
A laugh-out-loud comedy the entire family can enjoy. Cary Grant switches his usual suave and sleek persona to give a terrific performance as boozy beach bum, Walter Eckland. The loner is trapped on the island alone until Leslie Caron and her seven "young ladies" invade. That storyline makes for some fantastic laughs throughout the film. The screenplay couldn't have been better and the direction is good too. A true classic that never gets old.

"I'm gonna take a little walk"

21. Pure Country (1992)
This is probably the most personal choice on my list. I grew up watching this movie and I suppose it has a special place with me. Despite the sentiment, it is actually an underrated movie, IMO. George Strait won't be recieving any Oscar nominations, but he plays the lead part of Wyatt flawlessly. Not to mention, he adds a great soundtrack (especially for country fans). The core of the plot isn't very original, but the way it is carried out is very enjoyable. I actually find Wyatt's situation rather relatable: the desire to escape the life you've been leading and find something better. The script and direction are very good as well.

creative list and very personal. keep up the good work. question you wrote in your mini review of romancing the stone that it`s the best adventure films of the 80`s were would you consider Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Big props for including Murder by Death on your list.

Suspect's Reviews

creative list and very personal. keep up the good work. question you wrote in your mini review of romancing the stone that it`s the best adventure films of the 80`s were would you consider Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Thank you. I said "nothing fits better" They're pretty much both equally fit this category, IMO

"I should say you look rather lost, but then I can't imagine where in the world the three of you would look at home."

20. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
I think this film is subject to giving a rather poor first impression. The increased darkness and gore factor is surprising and somewhat hard to take, but it is actually very worthy of its place in the epic adventure series. The storyline is a darker, but never-the-less impressive. The terrific character of Indiana Jones is deepened here, and he's back for more excitement and action. The characters of Short Round and Willie are thought by many to be annoying, and I can entirely understand that. However, in a different light, they can also be quite likable and fun. Willie is actually a realistic character because don't we all know a girl that in that situation would behave exactly like that? The script has great dialouge, and included is the memorably wicked Mola Ram.

"You call *this* archaeology?"

19. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
Most people I know select this as their 2nd favorite Jones flick regardless of their first. High adventure returns but this time around there's a little more comedy. The script is loaded with hilarity. Connery and Ford have impecable chemistry as this father-son duo. It's fun to watch the ever-confident Jones sort of hit a weak point for a change with his father. The Nazis return as the best adventure villians with some particularly sinister leaders. The father-son subplot is a fantastic compliment to the storyline of searching for the ever-elusive Holy Grail.

"Kid, the next time I say, "Let's go someplace like Bolivia," let's GO someplace like Bolivia."

18. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
This is easily my favorite western, and it's because these are two such fantastic characters. Newman and Redford really bring them to life and seem like life-long friends right away. Butch is the leader, inventive, and somewhat out-spoken. While Sundance is skilled and more reserved. Their chemistry and personalites remind me a great deal of myself and a friend of mine which probably adds to the personal appeal. The storyline is an exciting adventure unlike most any other western. The script is superb with humor and great dialouge. George Roy Hill gives wonderful direction, and the music score is memorable and kind of fun. Overall, this is must-see film that I think most anyone can enjoy.

"You're making my dog nervous. He detests the smell of stupidity."

17. Hopscotch (1980)
It's been too long since I've seen this gem. Hopscotch is a relatively unknown and very unappriciated action comedy. Walter Matthau is the perfect casting choice to play the comical lead character of Kendig. He's on the run from the FBI, more so his old boss Meyerson. It's absolutely hilarious to watch his building frustration at Kendig's elusiveness. Sam Waterson is terrific and very enjoyable to watch as Kendig's friend who has to help Meyerson against his will. Glenda Jackson is a doll as Kendig's girl who has some of the sharpest wit of the entire movie. The script is funny as hell along with an exciting storyline.

"Don't point that finger at me unless you intend to use it."

16. The Odd Couple (1968)
The second Matthau in a row, and this is my favorite of his characters. Neil Simon gives perhaps one of the best written scripts ever that provides us with total opposites Felix and Oscar. They're another pair that I can relate well to. No one could have better chemisty than Matthau and Lemmon and it never showed better than as these characters. Lemmon is perfect as sensitive neat-freak Felix. Matthau was fantastic than as easy-going slob Oscar. When the two collide nothing but comedy is produced another than a great story about friendship.

"Miss Bonnet and I are old friends. We used to shoot together."

15. How to Steal a Million (1966)
In my opinion, it's such a shame this comedy isn't better known. Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole are a fantastic pair. The two have amazing comedic timing. Of course, they're working with a terrific script as well. It's a very romantic movie as well and they have great chemistry as a couple. Johnny Williams provides a playful musical score that captures the fun of this movie. It's a little slow-paced and not very impressive on the first viewing. But it's more fun to watch over and over again.

"The time to make up your mind about people is never."

14. The Philadelphia Story (1940)
This movie is overflowing with great characters and dialouge. Katharine Hepburn shines as Tracy Lord, who I recently selected for the "character most like you" theme. That should explain this appeal from this character to me. Tracy is thought of as hard and cold, but she can't even tell when she is. She becomes torn between three lovers. One, Cary Grant is her ex-husband who seems to know her better than anyone else. He's got a plan to keep her from marrying her stuffy fiancee George Kittredge. But Tracy's intrigued by Mike Connor, played excellently by James Stewart. These are just the leads, the Lord family is also memorable with characters such as young Dinah and Uncle Willy the pincher. The entire cast turn in lively performances and deliver the witty and deep script. I'd highly reccommend this movie to any classic movie fan, and even some who aren't.

"It wasn't me. It was the one armed man."

13. The Fugitive (1993)
One of the best thrillers ever. The movie begins with some awesome opening credits and they flow right into the intense break-in scene. Immediately, the movie feels suspenseful and dark. Harrison Ford gives one of his best, if not the best, of his performances. He perfectly captures the constant fear Kimble goes through as he stays on the run. And when he reminds Tommy Lee Jones that he said, "I don't care" later on in the film, his eyes light up in a powerful way. Tommy Lee Jones earned his Oscar for his unbeatable portrayal of the charasmatic and determined detective always hot on Kimble's trail. The script has some very fine moments and the direction is suttly great. While, of course, the storyline is pretty unrealistic, this movie definately deserves a watch.

"Oh you must be so bored with me, everytime you come in here, I'm in absolute panic."

12. Wait Until Dark (1967)
This movie is captivatingly spooky upon the first watch. Audrey Hepburn gives a superior performance as Susy Hendrix. The situation Susy gets put into is frightening even to think about. Alan Arkin is so wicked and terrifying in his role as Roat that he's unforgettable to anyone who's seen it. While the plot seems to take awhile to build, the climax of this movie defines edge-of-your-seat thrills. I flew out of mine. Sends chills down my spine just thinking about it.

"Diabetes! I ought to know better than to hire anybody with a disease."

11. His Girl Friday (1940)
This famous gem from Howard Hawks deserves all the praise it gets. Cary Grant shows why he's been called a comedic genius here as the crafty Walter Burns. Rosalind Russell matches his capability perfectly as Hildy. Ralph Bellamy plays his common role as the shy mama's boy that becomes the butt of a few jokes. This is what classic comedy is all about. This film is overflowing with hilarious banter and rapidfire dialouge. The script as well as the improve is ideal. Even the newspapermen running about are good for a few laughs. The storyline and plot has been used mulitple times, but this is by far my favorite version.

See as your a huge fan of Walter Matthau I'm interested in what you think of The Bad News Bears and Charade. Also props for including Support Your Local Sheriff truely one of a kind. I gotta say, I recently rewatched Patriot Games and althought I enjoyed it. Hunt Still is the stand out for me. The crazy boat chase ending felt a little rushed and I really didn't enjoy the humor of the open ending of Patriot it felt out of place. Again it's your list and i've enjoy reading it.

I actually haven't seen Bad News Bears yet, and you'll be hearing more about Charade later on, L.B. On the subject of Patriot Games, I could agree with saying that the boat chase was somewhat hurried toward the end, but I think with the suspense that occurred previous to that with the blackout in the house, it might have ended up seeming too drawn out. "Hunt" was also great. I just liked the more personal side of Patriot Games with Ryan's family involved.

The Philadelphia Story
Wait Until Dark
His Girl Friday

All of these are in my collection and I love them so much I can't remember how many times I have seen them
How to Steal a Million(1966)
I have seen it and did like it must keep my eye out for it so I can add it to my collection.

"Get off my plane!"

10. Air Force One (1997)
Air Force One is one of the most gripping and intense movies that I've ever seen. Certainly the plot borrows from a few movies before it, but the using the president and his plane provides an enjoyable spin on the idea. Harrison Ford gives an excellent performance as the president. Granted that this president is a little too good to be true, but we enjoy cheering him on. Gary Oldman gives an amazing performance as the antagonist. His speeches and passion truely come through to create a fascinating and ruthless villain. The entire cast is strong throughout the film. Peterson's direction is terrific with exception of a few special effects that are quickly becoming outdated. The script isn't the best part of this flick, including a few rather corny moments but it's far from a problem. The storyline is tremendous. It draws you in by letting you get to know some of the main characters, but when the hijacking actually takes places, the tension doesn't let up until the very end of the film. There are cliffhanger moments spread throughout, and I was on the edge of my seat.

"No, Ray, it was you."

9. Field of Dreams (1989)
This capra-esque film has a special place in my heart. Faith is very important to me and the concept of believing in things that not everyone can see. This is the most likely reason for my attachment to this movie. There is a lot of debate here about Kevin Costner's acting abilities, and I don't consider this to be Costner's most impressive performance. However, I do really enjoy the character of Ray and his determination. I don't think anyone could've done much better than Costner here. The supporting cast including James Earl Jones, Ray Liotta, and Amy Madigan are all terrific. The script has some comedy and some rather dramatic points but is overall very good. Some people consider this film to be too corny, but I think it is well-balanced because it has an important message. "When you believe the impossible, the incredible can come true."

I like Field of Dreams I'm like you Some times I like movies not because of great acting etc but what it means to me

Not that I don't appreciate a well acted movie, etc

I actually haven't seen Bad News Bears yet, and you'll be hearing more about Charade later on, L.B. On the subject of Patriot Games, I could agree with saying that the boat chase was somewhat hurried toward the end, but I think with the suspense that occurred previous to that with the blackout in the house, it might have ended up seeming too drawn out. "Hunt" was also great. I just liked the more personal side of Patriot Games with Ryan's family involved.
The blackout scene was creative and very tense. The timing in that scene is so fundamental to the suspense of it all. I see what you mean in that it may have felt a bit drawn out though for me it just felt to abrupt. I would have rather seen it come to a conclusion in and round the house. I totally agree with you about the family aspect that element is rather enticing to approach for a storyline point of view have his family put into constant parallel and it‘s convincingly done.